< Back in the saddle | Main | Hanlon's Razor >

A referendum has been attached

On a unanimous vote, the Senate Tax Committee has just added a referendum to the bill that was passed out of the House. I don't know what else to say besides that. Well, actually, this doesn't surprise me at all at this point. I can't believe I ever thought a workable stadium bill could be passed and signed by the governor. Oh well, I'm used to it. The game isn't over yet, but the home nine is definitely behind.

I think this is probably pretty indicative of how the Senate as a whole feels on the matter. The Tax Committee is now adjourned. My hopes might be too.

UPDATE: You know, spycake's comment below got me to thinking. At first I thought that since it was a unanimous vote, this must be how the Senate as a whole feels. Now I am thinking the stadium supporters on the commitee, including the ultra-pro stadium Tomassoni, are just trying to get the bill out of the Taxes committee and onto the floor of the Senate. OK, I feel better now. Thanks spycake (Even though I'm getting tired of your always trying to calm me down. Don't you know I just want to be angry sometimes?).

UPDATE II: As Opat has already said, it is time for Pawlenty to speak up. In fact, it is well past time. T-Paw needs to make clear what kind of bill he would sign, and what kind he wouldn't sign. The 10:00 news should be interesting.

Posted by snackeru at May 1, 2006 5:30 PM | Stadiums 2006

Welcome back, Pessimist Shane. I don't think this is really indicative of the whole Senate -- my guess is that Pogemiller might be trying to leverage his proposal a bit? Or maybe this is a bit of one-upsmanship directed towards Krinkie? Maybe the taxes committee took in a ballgame in Detroit this weekend?

In any case, in the end I don't the think the full Senate will want to stand in the way of the bill over a referendum -- there is an awfully large stigma attached to "letting the Twins go" and unlike past years, it might finally be real. I suspect even if the full Senate approves the bill with the referendum attached, they'll still approve it after the referendum has been removed in conference committee.

Posted by: spycake at May 1, 2006 5:56 PM

Hey, I'm Norwegian-Lutheran. I have been put on this earth to suffer.

Posted by: Shane at May 1, 2006 6:26 PM

When is T-Paw going to offer more than lip service? He says that he does not want to lose the Twins "on his watch" but he keeps saying he would prefer a bill with a referendum even though the Twins say it is a deal killer. So let's get this straight Tim, you will sign a Twins bill with out a referendum but would prefer one with one even though it would not result in a new ballpark. Great leadership, at least through your verbal gymnastics you have kept your Tax Payers League buddies happy.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jiminstpaul at May 1, 2006 6:55 PM

Shane-
On the lighter side, have you noticed the kick ass music the Twins use on their radio brodcasts as bumpers? The Hold Steady, Lifter Puller (pre Hold Steady band), Iffy, The Replacements, other cool classic Minnesota indie rock bands. You oughta track down that guy at 'CCO. He could put together a killer playlist for our iPods.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jiminstpaul at May 1, 2006 7:03 PM

I for one will be happy to vote "yes" to the tax come referendum time.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at May 1, 2006 7:18 PM

It's kinda funny that the Twins broadcasts have the hippest music, yet are on what could be perceived as the oldest, un-hippest radio station around. Although maybe it's hip to be un-hip.

Posted by: spycake at May 1, 2006 7:20 PM

I know there is talk of the Twins shopping around their radio rights after this season. I don't know if I could take them on KFAN. I know I must be getting old because I find myself listening to the old neigbor more even when the Twins are not on. I just can only take so much right vs left political talk on other stations.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jiminstpaul at May 1, 2006 8:16 PM

Spycake is right. The referendum was attached just to get the bill out of crazy Pogey's hands. I bet that it gets removed on the Senate floor or in Conference. Now Pogey is trying to scuttle the Gophers stadium by trying to include the sports merchandise tax again. And the guy I used to support for Governor (Kelley) is still trying the metro sales tax (with no referendum, btw!?!) Anyway there's so much postering. Leadership from Pawlenty, Johnson and Day is desparately needed and needed now.

Posted by: freealonzo at May 1, 2006 8:37 PM

Sorry, one more point. Why is the guy I used to support for Governor pushing a roof for the Twins? The Twins don't want it, the site can't accommodate it, the cost is $100 million plus, and it will make the ballpark look butt ugly (Miller Park anyone - which has some cool features). If this is the kind of smarts he's gonna bring to the Governor's office...we don't need 'im!

Posted by: freealonzo at May 1, 2006 8:46 PM

Hi Shane. Great blog. I love your negativity towards taxpayer-funded stadiums here in The Land of 10,000 Socialists. I only had the chance to do a small bit of reading, but your site is bookmarked for future reading. And dont be misled by my "handle", I'm lukewarm at best about sports nowadays. Thanks

Posted by: Gopherfan_1975 at May 1, 2006 9:46 PM

Well, Gopherfan_1975, I hate to disappoint, but I am actually in favor of a new Twins stadium. In fact, I'm pretty passionate about it (understatement of the year). So, you are more than welcome to keep reading, but I don't think you'll like it too much. Just to warn you!

Posted by: Shane at May 1, 2006 9:49 PM

I'm not sure what the politics were behind the 12-0 vote. Surely they weren't all really in favor of the referendum. But it makes me wonder if the bill will get out of the committee at all.

The metro-wide sales tax ammendment still has to be presented as well. This would create a bigger mess. Senator Johnson already said she intends to offer an ammendment requiring a referendum on that too. Hopefully Senator Kelley will see the light and give it up.

The best chance is to hope the bill gets to the floor as it is now, and the referendum can be removed at that time. I don't really like the odds of it getting removed in Conference Committee. Who knows who the House negotiators will be. Passing it with the referendum attached would allow them to blame the Twins on election day, and that may be all they're looking for.

Posted by: David H. at May 1, 2006 11:44 PM