< A referendum has been attached | Main | Shuffle on my iPod! >

Hanlon's Razor

I've written about Parkinson's Law, and Parkinson's Law of Triviality. Now, we have Hanlon's Razor.

Hanlon's Razor states:

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

I think you'll find that this law is applicable in your daily lives in more ways than one. Personally, I can already apply this law to numerous circumstances I've observed over the last few years. Maybe even events I've seen recently.

What about you?

Posted by snackeru at May 2, 2006 6:28 AM | Stuff I wonder about

Shane, keep on hoping. We just have to trust that our elected leaders are not complete and utter idiots, and that they realize the implications of what they have done with this recent development (no doubt they do). This could, as previous commentatators have stated, be just a part of the political game, a way to shift the "guilt" once election time rolls around.

We knew all along that it was far too much to hope for that this thing would go easily - that's just the way politics work. If a majority of these guys want to get this thing done, they will take the referendum off in committee or wherever. If they don't want to get it done this year (or ever), then they'll let it stagnate or pass it with that stupid referendum attached. It's that simple.

Plus, as close as we were to getting this thing done this year, it's not over yet. If indeed this bill does die, there is always next year - the Twins aren't going to be contracted anytime soon, and it's not like suitors are lining up to buy and/or move the team. I abhor the Dome as much as the next guy, but if waiting another year is what it takes, then so be it.

I know it's extremely difficult to take this laid-back, wait-and-see approach when the issue is so near and dear to your heart, but right now, it appears that's the only option.

Posted by: RM at May 2, 2006 1:09 AM

Hey,Shane,I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the
(I must admit) excellent April 29th editorial supporting the House ballpark plan and criticizing
the last minute changes by Kelley and Pogemiller!
Also,regarding Mike Opat,he and his fellow DFL lobbists can do far more to convince DFL senators to support the House bill than Pawlenty can.IN FACT THE STUPIDEST THING T-PAW HAS DONE IS TO SAY
HE WOULDN'T ALLOW SPORTS TEAMS TO LEAVE ON HIS WATCH!As the editorial points out it's MALICE not
STUPIDITY on the part of the DFL !!!!

Posted by: jimj at May 2, 2006 11:29 AM

Shane, awfully quiet around here today. Any word on the committee? I thought they were going to reconvene today.

Posted by: Grant at May 2, 2006 2:01 PM

6:00 tonight, Grant. And sorry for the quiet. Quite frankly, I'm speechless. Stunned. Unable to string two coherent sentences together. You get the picture.

Posted by: Shane at May 2, 2006 2:24 PM

To my fellow "Jim" on the Greet Machine:
I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR ENTHUSIASM!. Keep it up, we need to let the powers that be know we are out there.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jiminstpaul at May 2, 2006 2:26 PM

Shane, when ever you find yourself speechless, stunned, unable to string 2 sentences together you can always remember The Simpsons. In this case, the immortal words of Kent Brockman: "I've said it before and I'll say it again: Democracy simply doesn't work."

Posted by: freealonzo at May 2, 2006 2:32 PM

Another 6 pm meeting to duck any local television coverage and require any of us not going to the meeting to watch online. Gutless once again.

Posted by: ML at May 2, 2006 3:00 PM

You got it ML !!!

Posted by: jimj at May 2, 2006 3:07 PM

Shane- great site, I was unaware of it before your spot on the news last week but I have visited each day since to get updates on the ball park. Thanks for the info, it is greatly appreciated.
If the Twins stadium doesn't get clearance this year, it would unusually cruel with the steps that had been taken in the last week.
Question though- if they do go with the 7 county tax, does that potentially change where the ballpark could be built? No one county has a grip on the stadium then.

Posted by: matt at May 2, 2006 3:13 PM