< Shuffle on my iPod! | Main | We just want you to vote on the stadium bill that was presented to you >

Still trying to sort out what happened ...

Good stuff happened today ... I'm still trying to sort it out. But for those of you that want to know, the stadium bill the House passed has been moved out of the "pit of death" (Pogemiller's Senate Tax Committee) into the Senate Rules Committee. The Rules Committee received permission from the Senate floor, and the Senate floor moved it back to Rules. Rules is now deliberating and will report back to the Senate soon. There will be no vote today, but it looks like the Tax Committee is out of the picture. I wonder if this is true for the Gophers bill too?

Either tomorrow or the next day, the Senate will probably vote on the bill. Oh yeah, the referendum was removed. And the Senate floor had the votes to allow the Rules Committee to make this move ...

UPDATE: Well, there is definitely more to this. According to the the PiPress, this move will also include Steve Kelly's attempt to tax the entire metro for a Twins stadium, a Vikings stadium, and transit improvements. I'm going to mull this over some more...

UPDATE II: And now the referendum is back, except now it is a seven county-wide one. Sigh. This plan won't work. The House is pretty much saying no way, and the governor is saying no, too. I suppose Kelly is trying to get their approval by tacking on a referendum, but then the Twins will say no way. Sen. Kelly's bill is too complicated and heavy. Again, I'm going to have to think about this some more. The news is coming out too fast and furious, and you better believe Kelly is trying to sell his plan. We'll see if he is successful.

Posted by snackeru at May 2, 2006 5:59 PM | Stadiums 2006

So...is this like the bill took a step back yesterday but then took two steps forward today?

Posted by: Boof at May 2, 2006 4:34 PM

Please read my post under IPOD comments.I really
hope I'm wrong about this!

Posted by: jimj at May 2, 2006 4:40 PM

It does appear they are going to pass the metro-wide tax...ugh. we all know that will never pass the House. If that bill has the Vikings in it, can it possibly be reconciled with the Twins bill from the House? They would be very different.

Posted by: howeda7 at May 2, 2006 5:10 PM

Hey folks, if you didn't know, it's on television right now.

Posted by: ML at May 2, 2006 5:24 PM

Hey Chapman,just because your paranoid doesn't
mean that somebody isn't out to get you !!!!

Posted by: jimj at May 2, 2006 5:30 PM

MPR reported that the metro-wide tax would require a referendum, that's not how I understood it in the tax committee. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Posted by: howeda7 at May 2, 2006 5:55 PM

Yep, it sounds like there would be a seven county-wide referendum. Oh yeah, the people in Washington County are going to vote for this. This is just moronic. And the news started out so promising...

Posted by: Shane at May 2, 2006 6:18 PM

Did you see the entire Rules committee hearing? Did someone offer an Ammendment to Senator Kelley's "A8" Ammendment that required a referendum? If not, there should not be a referendum on this. That's what they said in the Taxes Committee last night. State Law in itself does not require a referndum on the metro-wide tax

Posted by: howeda7 at May 2, 2006 6:23 PM

Good point. However, I just saw on the news (WCCO) that a referendum will be attached. Again, I can see Kelly tacking one on just to make it more acceptable to the Republican House. Too bad the Twins will tell him to stick it.

Posted by: Shane at May 2, 2006 6:26 PM

Word is that Legislators read this site so this comment is directed to them. Elected officials, do you realize how foolish you look? When you read polls on how low regard we hold you, exhibit A will be this stadium mess. Right now you've put yourself in the ineviable position of making everyone angry at you: Pro-stadium, anti-stadium, people who could care less look at the events of the last week and shake their head in anger and amazement. We just want you to vote on the stadium bill that was presented to you. Either vote yes or vote no. We don't care if you put the Governor in a box, we don't care if are trying to fix other problems, we don't care if you make the republicans or democrats look bad, we just want to know if there is going to be a stadium. The lack of leadership from Gov. Pawlenty is appalling. The utter lack of legislative control from "Leader" Johnson is a joke, the ability to deal with the issue in a controlled manner from Senator Pogemiller is practically criminal. And using the stadium bill to ram a roof down our throats, while larding more funds for every other social issue facing the State by the Senator I used to support for Governor Steve Kelley is just plain gross. And you wonder why the population is so disconnected from politics.

Posted by: freealonzo at May 2, 2006 7:21 PM

I hope our legislators are reading this blog. Steve Kelley is my state senator. I love outdoor baseball. Don't mess this up! All of you!!

Posted by: mpls1934 at May 2, 2006 7:39 PM