< Blah, blah, blah | Main | Time for Finstad to drop the hammer >

Humorous look at the new Twins ballpark

In case you haven't seen this yet, Jim Caple, formerly of the PiPress and currently writing for ESPN, has a humorous set of design options for the new Twins ballpark:

Minnesota's Perfect Ballpark

My favorite new feature is the cornfield and silo in center field. That would put Houston's stupid little hill to shame.

It kind of reminds me of this rather ribald send up of the new Twins ballpark from Sportsgoons.com in which they write:

The stadium, which will be called the Mall of America Super Duper MegaField, will cost $18 billion. Investors will finance roughly $200 million, while citizens will cough up an estimated $17.8 billion - $500 million through a tax increase in the sale of fishing lures and snow shovels for the next 75 years, and the remaining $17.3 billion by channeling money that was previously used for welfare and education into the stadium fund.

Ummm yeah ... pretty funny stuff. I think both pro and anti-stadium people should be able to appreciate it. Watch out though, it has some pretty colorful language.

And in case you are wondering, as of 4:15 the House is still talking about the Omnibus Transportation Bill. The stadium conference committee should start a half hour after the session ends.

Posted by snackeru at May 16, 2006 4:05 PM | Stadiums 2006

This is so frustrating to watch. I'm a Vikings fan just as much as the Twins but I've had it with them. They are not organized don't have a plan and must know that they're not getting a stadium this year.

The Vikings and Senator Kelley need to give it up already. They're acting like they've got unlimited time to make different proposals. Why can't the Twins bill be split out and voted on right now, and then the Vikings/Transit portion finished later? Anyone know why this is? Do they have to vote on both when they split them?

Posted by: David H. at May 16, 2006 9:08 PM

We need more updates! What happened tonight in conference committee?

Posted by: Anonymous at May 16, 2006 10:00 PM

i see late this tuesday night that the vikings
appear to have a deal with anoka county with
a roof..how does this effect the twins????
by the way could be throw lohse,silva et all under
the bus!!!!!

Posted by: sam morriss at May 16, 2006 11:28 PM

Senator Kelley moved to accept the Senate proposal which was rejected on a voice vote. Sen. Kelley asked that they recess and take more testimony from the Vikings on Wed. Rep. Finstad was clearly not happy with that and pointed out they've already spent two days listening to the Vikings and would like to vote on the Twins portion seperately. Rep. Sykora backed him on that and indicated that they were willing to consider a seperate Vikings bill.

They took testimony from Bagley and Anoka county to the effect that they 'promise' to have a final, FINAL proposal to present to the committee when it convenes tomorrow afternoon, after which, I hope they will finally start voting on this.

It seems to me that Sen. Kelley is not being very cooperative and Rep. Finstad and the House members need to put thier foot down a bit. Otherwise Kelley will just keep delaying until they run out of time.

Posted by: David H at May 17, 2006 3:51 AM

There was a bit of extremely good news that came out of the Conference Committee - they rejected Kelley's bill on a voice vote, meaning it had little or no chance of passing. If it wasn't for the Vikings, there probably would have had a bill last night!

It really appears that the Vikings ineptitude is really impacting the Twins chances. Send messages to Senator Kelley urging him to leave the Vikings behind.

This may be a more appropriate comment for Mr. Cheer or Die but what were the Vikings thinking dropping the roof at this late date without coordinating their message with Anoka County? These last two days have been disasterous for the Vikings stadium chances. Did they think Anoka County would just roll over? Although I personally think if the roof is soooo important to Anoka County they should pay for it. Also the testimony from MnDot that the infrastructure improvements are some $50 million more than the Vikings said has to hurt to. Unfortunately it appears like its amateur hour once again in Viking land.

Posted by: freealonzo at May 17, 2006 8:00 AM

I love the Caples version of the stadium, but there is just one problem with it. The proposed Lake Oliva in right field reminds me a little too much of the spot in deep right field at Met Stadium worn bare by Geoff Barnett and Tino Lettieri pacing in front of the Minnesota Kicks goal. It turned muddy after a rain, and Hosken Powell could never figure out whether it was better to position himself in front of, or behind, it.

Posted by: oldstuffer at May 17, 2006 10:08 AM

Thanks for the Jim Caple link! I've already designed a hypothetical ball field for my parent's farm which include a silo in center field and a corn field in right. (No "Spam Monster" in left, though, just a barn)

Part of me thinks some of these ideas, if implemented subtly in the Minneapolis design, could honestly improve it, at least make it more memorable. I haven't seen anything from the real design yet that has stood out or makes it uniquely Minnesotan (for better or worse, I suppose!).

Posted by: spycake at May 17, 2006 1:26 PM

Thanks for the link but i think that these ideas could help in improving the situation.Sounds to be funny but can be helpful if implemented as said. Lets see with what decision committee would come up.

Posted by: Henry at May 18, 2006 1:38 AM

I think the Twins should build just two decks of
seats in their new venue. This layout seems like a
neat opportunity to keep fans close to the game,
possibly closer than they would be with three or
four decks. The Twins want 42,000 seats. Many
double-decked stadiums have held that number or
more. The Twins can do it, too.

I also recommend a cantilevered roof with columns
and beams. Such a roof covers fans in the upper
deck. Poles neither sit in front of seats nor
block views of the field. Columns and beams from
the stadium's outside and the bottom of the roof
play a part in the covering. RFK Stadium, Kauffman
Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, Riverfront Stadium,
and AFCS in Atlanta are venues that have or had
such a roof. Looking at those roofs, I think you
can appreciate their successful format and feel a
special mystique about gameday, as many fans will
be in the ballpark to cheer for their team. The
Twins' new stadium can display that mystique with
the exact same kind of roof. Other technology can
give unobstructed cover to fans in the lower deck,
too.

These ideas can establish an iconic venue for
baseball and for Minnesota. I believe it! Lastly,
the Twin Cities area includes a dynamic quality
of life and a beautiful skyline in Minneapolis, so
the Twins should make a statement by building
America's best new ballpark. Thanks for your time
and consideration. Go Twins!!

CK

Posted by: CK at June 8, 2006 9:25 AM