< The House is voting on the Twins bill | Main | Hallelujah! >

May 20, 2006

Now it is the Senate's turn

If you are just joining us, the Senate will vote on the Twins stadium bill sometime tonight. The House passed the bill by a vote of 71-61, which is a bit closer than Sviggum had us believe it would be, but I really don't care at this point.

The Senate passed a completely different Twins stadium bill the first time around, and it should also be pointed out that not one Republican voted in favor of the bill. With the House passage of the Twins bill, the Senate should now be able to pass the Twins stadium bill in a more bi-partisan way. We may lose some of the DFL votes, but we will be gaining a lot of Republican votes.

Anyone have any idea when the Senate will start hearning the bill again? Hopefully shortly after this conference commitee on sales tax dedication for environment and culture.

So, are we having fun people?

UPDATE I: Well, according to the knowledgeable Cody:

>From what I've heard, here's what has to happen.

The Senate is waiting for the House to adjourn so the House-Senate Committee can meet and take care of some things. Then the Senate will come back together, then who knows what they will do before the get to the stadium. Seriously, it may be 3-5 more hours.

3 to 5 more hours huh? Well, that is it for me. I am confident the Senate will pass the bill and I need to get up early for church. If anyone is up when it is happening, please leave me a couple of comments.

Thanks for the fun night everyone! Hopefully tomorrow will be like Christmas for me with a big present of Senate passage waiting for me when I wake up!

Posted by snackeru at May 20, 2006 11:36 PM

Comments

The Senate was 43-24 on the Gophers stadium...i was shocked it was that close. ANY other year and I wouldn't be worried at all right now. But, the Senate appears to be losing its' collective spine this year. 24 against the stadium for the University!?!?! That means the Twins will be much closer.

Posted by: Derek at May 20, 2006 11:49 PM

You know, I just sat through two indoor games in Milwaukee. It doesn't make any sense. Friday night was cool, but leave the damn roof open. Saturday was beautiful, but it rained later. Well, my theory is leave the thing open until it needs to be shut for rain. It only takes 10-15 minutes, right. I'm confused as to why I did not even get to see an inning of outdoor baseball.

Posted by: bjhess at May 21, 2006 12:05 AM

I agree that the Gopher bill was closer then I thought. I was also disturbed that the Republicans only favored it 15-14. I think we will need more then 15 republican votes to pass this. Sen. Day didn't even vote in favor of it. I'm not sure why.

My biggest hope, once again, is that all the leaders, including Sen. Johnson have basically said its a done deal and will look like fools if it doesn't pass. The fact that Sen. Marty admitted it's 99% is a good sign.

Posted by: David Howe at May 21, 2006 12:35 AM

May I ask a question on politics in MN? I don't live in the state, so I am asking out of curiousity.

How is an elected state official be able to cast votes in one of the houses while at the same time being in a committee?

Posted by: MB at May 21, 2006 12:43 AM

They can't. The House was voting on the bill while the senate were in their committees.

Posted by: Cody at May 21, 2006 12:46 AM

Right. The people in the conference committee are absent and will not vote on the bills being currently debated on the house floor.

Posted by: David Howe at May 21, 2006 12:50 AM

Does anyone know what time the senate is supposed to vote on the Twins Proposal?

Posted by: MOJO at May 21, 2006 1:36 AM

Is anyone staying up for the Senate?

Posted by: MOJO at May 21, 2006 1:58 AM

Does anyone have any idea when the Senate plans on voting!?

Posted by: StatFreak at May 21, 2006 2:01 AM

Shane said 3-5 hours at 11:30..........so hopefully soon. I am watching the live feed and they are still in recess. I think I am going to cash in if they don't start in the next half hour.

Is anyone planning on staying up for the debate and vote?

Posted by: MOJO at May 21, 2006 2:08 AM

I'm going to do my best to stay up for it. But i'm in ET right now, so it's even later for me.

Posted by: David Howe at May 21, 2006 2:14 AM

I will probably give it to around 2:30.

If there is no sign of action by then, I am cashing it in. So if anyone can keep me updated until around 2:30, that'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted by: StatFreak at May 21, 2006 2:14 AM

The House debate was about an hour and a half. I'd hope the Senate debate would be half that at the most. So I hope that whenever they finally begin debating, it will be over in 45 min.

Posted by: David Howe at May 21, 2006 2:19 AM

Alright fellas, I am heading to bed.

Have a good one, and let's hope that when we all wake up, well atleast some of us, that it'll all make us smile.

Posted by: StatFreak at May 21, 2006 2:28 AM

The breakdown of the House vote:

REPUBLICANS VOTING YES

Beard (Shakopee); Blaine (Little Falls); Bradley (Rochester); Brod (New Prague); Charron (Woodbury); Cox (Northfield); Davids (Preston); Demmer (Hayfield); Dempsey (Red Wing); Dorman (Albert Lea); Eastlund (Isanti); Finstad (New Ulm); Garofalo (Farmington); Gazelka (Brainerd); Gunther (Fairmont); Hamilton (Mountain Lake); Heidgerken (Freeport); Hoppe (Chaska); Lanning (Moorhead); Magnus (Slayton); McNamara (Hastings); Meslow (White Bear Lake); Nelson, P. (Lindstrom); Nornes (Fergus Falls); Ozment (Rosemount); Penas (Badger); Peterson, N. (Bloomington); Ruth (Owatonna); Samuelson (New Brighton); Severson (Sauk Rapids); Simpson (New York Mills); Sviggum (Kenyon); Sykora (Excelsior); Tingelstad (Andover); Urdahl (Grove City); Wardlow (Eagan); Westerberg (Blaine)

REPUBLICANS VOTING NO

Abeler (Anoka); Abrams (Minnetonka); Anderson, B. (Buffalo Twp); Buesgens (Jordan); Cornish (Good Thunder); Cybart (Apple Valley); Dean (Dellwood); DeLaForest (Andover); Emmer (Delano); Erhardt (Edina); Erickson (Princeton); Hackbarth (Cedar); Holberg (Lakeville); Howes (Walker); Johnson, J. (Plymouth); Klinzing (Woodbury); Knoblach (St. Cloud); Kohls (Victoria); Krinkie (Lino Lakes); Newman (Hutchinson); Olson (Big Lake); Paulsen (Eden Prairie); Peppin (Rogers); Powell (Burnsville); Seifert (Marshall); Smith (Mound); Soderstrom (Mora); Vandeveer (Forest Lake); Westrom (Elbow Lake); Wilkin (Eagan); Zellers (Maple Grove)

DEMOCRATS VOTING YES

Atkins (Inver Grove Heights); Dill (Crane Lake); Dorn (Mankato); Entenza (St. Paul); Fritz (Faribault); Haws (St. Cloud); Hilstrom (Brooklyn Center); Hortman (Brooklyn Park); Hosch (St. Joseph); Johnson, R. (St. Peter); Juhnke (Willmar); Kelliher (Minneapolis); Koenen (Clara City); Larson (Bloomington); Latz (St. Louis Park); Lesch (St. Paul); Lieder (Crookston); Lillie (North St. Paul); Mahoney (St. Paul); Marquart (Dilworth); Moe (Bemidji); Nelson, M. (Brooklyn Park); Pelowski (Winona); Peterson, A. (Madison); Poppe (Austin); Rukavina (Virginia); Scalze (Little Canada); Sertich (Chisholm); Sieben (Newport); Simon (St. Louis Park); Slawik (Maplewood); Solberg (Grand Rapids); Thao (St. Paul); Thissen (Minneapolis)

DEMOCRATS VOTING NO

Bernardy (Fridley); Carlson (Crystal); Clark (Minneapolis); Davnie (Minneapolis); Eken (Twin Valley); Ellison (Minneapolis); Goodwin (Columbia Heights); Greiling (Roseville); Hansen (South St. Paul); Hausman (St. Paul); Hilty (Finlayson); Hornstein (Minneapolis); Huntley (Duluth); Jaros (Duluth); Johnson, S. (St. Paul); Kahn (Minneapolis); Lenczewski (Bloomington); Liebling (Rochester); Loeffler (Minneapolis); Mariani (St. Paul); Mullery (Minneapolis); Murphy (Hermantown); Otremba (Long Prairie); Paymar (St. Paul); Peterson, S. (New Hope); Ruud (Minnetonka); Sailer (Park Rapids); Wagenius (Minneapolis); Walker (Minneapolis); Welti (Plainview)

DEMOCRATS NOT VOTING

Anderson, I. (International Falls); Dittrich (Champlin)

Posted by: Transic at May 21, 2006 2:31 AM

Senate is about to convene

Posted by: David Howe at May 21, 2006 2:33 AM

Is there an order of bills? If so......where is the Twins bill in that order?

Posted by: MOJO at May 21, 2006 2:40 AM

There may be, but I don't know what it is. Since the House has passed it, the Twins bill will be a 'message from the House'

Posted by: David Howe at May 21, 2006 2:57 AM

They took the message from the House on the data pracices bill, which is the bill the house debated AFTER the stadium. Not sure what this means...

Posted by: David Howe at May 21, 2006 2:59 AM

They're debating the Twins bill. 3:15 AM

Posted by: David Howe at May 21, 2006 3:13 AM

Sen. Bachman moves to refuse to adopt the report. As happened in the House

Posted by: David Howe at May 21, 2006 3:14 AM

While Sen. Bachman was in the middle of her rant, Sen. Day moved for recess...not sure if this is a sign of trouble, or he wants to tell members to shut up and vote.

Posted by: David Howe at May 21, 2006 3:22 AM

How many votes does it take to pass the senate?

Posted by: BJ at May 21, 2006 3:52 AM

Senate vote is 34-32.

Posted by: Transic at May 21, 2006 4:52 AM

The bill has passed the Senate 34-32. Sheesh. Couldn't have been closer. I think they had one extra vote who changed to know when the saw it would pass.

Posted by: David Howe at May 21, 2006 4:52 AM

That was WAAAAAAY too close!

issue..........DONE!!!!!

Posted by: Boof at May 21, 2006 4:54 AM

So, was it all the Dems versus all the Repubs again? Was it just the motion to accept that passed or was it the bill itself?

Posted by: Derek at May 21, 2006 5:09 AM

They took two votes: one to accept the motion offered by Sen. Kelley and the second vote on the bill.

Posted by: Transic at May 21, 2006 5:17 AM

Wow, nothing like a close finish!!! Thank you for the info. Is it just the gov signature, and then as some one mentioned, a final passage by the county commission that stands in the way?

Posted by: Derek at May 21, 2006 5:20 AM

Great!!!

Congratulations to all Twins-fan! My dream is to be able to travel to Minnesota in 2010 and see outdoor baseball at the new ballpark.

Posted by: Rune from Norway at May 21, 2006 5:35 AM

Waiting to read something on Strib or PP before heading back to bed. The only site that appears updated is the legislative site, and all that says is the vote count 34-32, but doesn't show how anyone voted or anything like that.

Posted by: Derek at May 21, 2006 5:50 AM

Strib finally updated. No sign of how the vote went down yet.

Posted by: Derek at May 21, 2006 5:56 AM

Paul Koering voted for this thing. He has a republican primary. If his opponent is smart, he will use the issue against Koering. The other interesting vote was Tarryl Clark in St Cloud. She told King Banaian she was opposed to the HC plan without a referendum.

Julianne Ortman did the right thing in the end.

Posted by: Eva Young at May 21, 2006 10:49 AM