< Gophers stadium vote | Main | House vote on the Gophers stadium >

Senate in recess

The Senate is in recess until 8:00. Before the Senate was dismissed Dean Johnson mentioned that they have some big bills to tackle including taxes, transportation, bonding, and of course, the Twins. We are in for a long, long night.

I must also say that as a U of M employee, I am very excited that Gophers football is returning to the outdoors and to the campus. I am going to love watching that stadium be built.

Before the final vote for the Gophers stadium there was a lot of complaining from some legislators that the state has its priorities out of whack concerning funding for higher education. Dean Johnson, in the final argument before the vote, got up and made a great statement, the crux of which was that it is naive to think that a good football program does not at least indirectly positively impact the academic mission, and the funding, of a university. For many people the only connection they have to a university is through their sports teams. I'm not saying this is a good thing, only that it is a reality.

Building a Gophers stadium on campus is a good thing. It will strengthen the community on campus, and it will strengthen the relationship between the University and the people of Minnesota. We are about to enter a "golden" age of Gophers football in terms of recruiting and the sucess of the football program. This will also positively impact the University as a whole.

The House is still in session. No word on when they'll get to the Twins.

Posted by snackeru at May 20, 2006 5:47 PM