< House in recess | Main | Now it is the Senate's turn >

The House is voting on the Twins bill

Finally. The House is about to vote on the Twins bill. Finstad is giving his description, and a discussion will happen soon.

Vandeveer is moving that the House refuse to concur on the conference committee report since there is no referendum on the bill. I seriously doubt this will pass. This will give a good indication on where the votes will fall when the bill is actually voted on.

UPDATE I: So far, really the only people that are for a referendum are getting up to speak. I think pro-stadium legislators are keeping quiet to move things along. Hopefully anyway.

And David is right, there is a lot of talking in the background. I wonder if anyone is really paying attention to these naysayers.

UPDATE II: This is gonna be ugly. Thank goodness Demmer is talking some sense. "We are elected to come here to make decisions!" Amen brother. Direct democracy is a bad idea. Turning over decisions to an ill-informed public is ill-advised at best. You rock Demmer!

Dang it! Can't they just vote on the Vandeveer motion? Do these people realize they are all saying the same thing over and over and over again?

UPDATE III: Dorman is a great advocate for this stuff. Do you like the Metrodome? Do you like the Xcel Energy Center? How do you think these buildings were paid for? That's right, a tax without a referendum. Vote red against the Vandeveer motion!

UPDATE IV: I gotta say, if this bill gets killed because the bill now includes language on the potential Vikings stadium, I am going to be seriously ticked at Sen. Kelley. It sounds like Dorn is now a no.

UPDATE V: If you want to watch (hey Vince!) click on this link: http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/htv/liveweb.htm.

UPDATE VI: We are losing votes. This is just a stunner. Keeping the Vikings in this bill is the worst thing that could have happened. Now, if the Vandeveer motion is passed, that just means it will go back to conference committee. Of course, there isn't anymore time to debate this.

Lanning is really flipping out now and I gotta say I am with him. "Don't read into the bill something that isn't there! We won't build a Vikings stadium unless a future legislature says we should!!!"

Hey legislators, if you vote for the Vandeveer motion you will kill the Twins. I hope your constituents will be all right with that.

And Abrams ... put the smugness away.

UPDATE VII: Goodwin must be really dense or something. Believe me I wish the Vikings weren't in this bill, but all the bill says, according to Lanning, is that "the Vikings issue is still before us." People, drop it and lets get to the vote!

Stadium opponents are now grasping at everything possible to defeat this. It appears we have lost some votes, but we have 8 to lose. Hopefully we still have the 68 necessary.

UPDATE VIII: Ha! You see what I mean? Nothing to worry about! An overwhelming victory for the keeping baseball in Minnesota! The Vandeveer motion has been defeated 75-57!!!

This is a done deal people!

UPDATE IX: Hey Erhardt, as a Hennepin County resident I am thankful that we have some legislators with even a modicum of leadership ability. It is a shame our best legislators seem to live outside of Hennepin County.

Nornes is making some sense here. The debate should be over! We have discussed this and hashed it out for 10 years! Nothing is going to change any minds at this point. Let's move on!

UPDATE X: Do these legislators realize how much time they are wasting? They keep on saying that they have more important things to worry about, and yet they continue to argue a bill that WILL pass. Get this bill done and start focusing on your "more important" issues!

UPDATE XI: Third reading. Here comes the vote...

The bill has passed 71 - 61!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man. I can barely type. I am overwhelmed with happiness! On to the Senate people!

Posted by snackeru at May 20, 2006 9:42 PM | Stadiums 2006

It doesn't sound like anyone is listening to him. I've never heard so many conversations going on.

Posted by: David Howe at May 20, 2006 9:46 PM

even those who want to vote No on the stadium should vote against this motion. It would only cause further delay for everyone tonight.

Posted by: David Howe at May 20, 2006 9:51 PM

Krinkie's doing every thing he can to screw this up.

Posted by: Cody at May 20, 2006 9:52 PM

Hopefully the extra debate over this motion will mean less debate on the bill itself.

Posted by: David Howe at May 20, 2006 9:58 PM

I was just thinking the same thing.

Posted by: Shane at May 20, 2006 9:59 PM

I just cant wait for this to be over. We wait for about 10 years for Twins to build new stadium. I will say to Krinkie just stop playing game. We all want this issue to be over.

Posted by: Nolan at May 20, 2006 10:03 PM

The Twins were leading 16-7 in the bottom of the ninth...they've given up 3 runs already and the bases are loaded. If they somehow lose this it will be a horrible omen.

Posted by: David Howe at May 20, 2006 10:04 PM

Good Twins win 16-10.

Posted by: Cody at May 20, 2006 10:05 PM

I didn't see the referendum debate in the first House bill, but I'm sure this has all been said 100 times. Don't they all went to get this and the other bills done and go home?

Posted by: David Howe at May 20, 2006 10:17 PM

Another point. It's 10:15 on a Saturday night. If they're grandstanding, they should realize that 90% of the people watching this are stadium supporters.

Posted by: David Howe at May 20, 2006 10:18 PM

blah blah blah blah

I am so sick of this, I have watched this crap for 10 years it makes me so sick.

Posted by: jon at May 20, 2006 10:18 PM

Good point David.

Posted by: Cody at May 20, 2006 10:19 PM

blah blah blah blah

just build it already

Posted by: jon at May 20, 2006 10:19 PM

blah blah blah blah

just build it already

Posted by: jon at May 20, 2006 10:20 PM

blah blah blah blah

just build it already

Posted by: jon at May 20, 2006 10:20 PM

you all are right they are blah and blah. I wish I was there and tell them to shut up and vote damn bill. This is getting old now.

Posted by: nolan at May 20, 2006 10:23 PM

You better get used to it or turn it off nolan! This is going to last a while. They are only debating the Vandeveer motion right now. I will definitely agree this is painful though.

Posted by: Shane at May 20, 2006 10:25 PM

Demmer just said that he thinks this amendment was going to pass and kill the stadium, was he serious or just preparing for the worst?

Posted by: Luke at May 20, 2006 10:27 PM

It is always a concern that something like this could kill the deal. However, I don't think it will. The vote on this motion will be a great indication on how the vote will shake out on the actual bill.

Posted by: Shane at May 20, 2006 10:29 PM

Does anyone know when the Senate will start voting on the Twins' Bill, tonight or tomorrow?

Posted by: Vince at May 20, 2006 10:29 PM

The Vikings language seems to be causing some concern. I guess we can thank Senator Kelley for that one.

Posted by: David Howe at May 20, 2006 10:30 PM

I think he was describing the "What If" scenario, as part of advancing his argument on the amendment.

Posted by: Transic at May 20, 2006 10:30 PM

It will go to the Senate immediatly if and when it passes the house.

Posted by: Cody at May 20, 2006 10:31 PM

Shane... Is there any representatives that you think could change their vote on the referendum from the 1st time it went throught the house? Because wasn't the first referendum vote last time fairly close?

Posted by: Luke at May 20, 2006 10:32 PM

Does anyone have a website link I can click on to watch. I'm in Chicago so no channel 17 coverage for me I'm afraid.

Posted by: Vince at May 20, 2006 10:33 PM

Luke, I can't say for sure, but yes some legislators may waffle. But Sviggum is predicting as many as 80 votes in favor of the stadium plan overall. I just can't see this failing right now, but of course, I could be wrong!

Posted by: Shane at May 20, 2006 10:35 PM

I respect Rep. Abrams, he clearly is one of the smartest of if not the smartest member. I wish he was on our side. I'm scared he will find some techincal reason to void this.

Posted by: David Howe at May 20, 2006 10:36 PM

Click on my name.
select live event next to House floor session-part 3

Posted by: Cody at May 20, 2006 10:36 PM

thanks guys for the help, although watching this may make me cringe and unable to sleep tonight.

Posted by: Vince at May 20, 2006 10:37 PM

Wow, Representative Brod, I love you. Please leave your husband and marry me.

Posted by: Vince at May 20, 2006 10:39 PM

Wow, what a Brod!

Posted by: Cody at May 20, 2006 10:40 PM

Shane,
How many House votes does it take to pass? I added up the yes/no votes for the Gopher stadium and they totaled 133 meaning we need 67. Is this number correct? These jack asses sure like to listen to themselves talk.

Posted by: Black 47 at May 20, 2006 10:41 PM

134 in the House, so 68 to pass.

Posted by: Cody at May 20, 2006 10:42 PM

I'm sorry I'm just coming in. Why is there a vandeveer amendment? I thought there could be no amendments to a conference committee bill.

P.S. Brod for Governor in 2010!!

Posted by: freealonzo at May 20, 2006 10:42 PM

The Vanderver amendment basically ruins everything and sends it back to committee.

Posted by: Cody at May 20, 2006 10:44 PM

It's not an ammendment, it's a motion not to accept the conference committee report

Posted by: David Howe at May 20, 2006 10:45 PM

Morrie Lanning is furious. Is this whole thing falling apart?

Posted by: Black 47 at May 20, 2006 10:46 PM

Did Kelly sabotage this bill by insisting on the funding for youth activities and libraries?

Posted by: Black 47 at May 20, 2006 10:49 PM

Holy Crap! How would like to have been Rep. Lanning's kid and you smashed the car. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of him yelling at you. Yikes.

Ron Abrams, is kinda whiny.

Posted by: freealonzo at May 20, 2006 10:49 PM

Representative Goodwin needs a sock shoved in her mouth.

Posted by: Anonymous at May 20, 2006 10:51 PM

Vote coming soon, Shane your prediction in numbers?

Posted by: Luke at May 20, 2006 10:56 PM

Seriously, someone tell me if this thing is falling apart?

Posted by: bruce at May 20, 2006 10:59 PM

Krinkie is an idiot! Twins will leave if they don't get a stadium.

Posted by: Nora at May 20, 2006 10:59 PM

i hate phil krinkie

Posted by: jon at May 20, 2006 11:00 PM

I predict 69. You heard it here first. If the Vandeveer motion is defeated, I then predict 76 votes to finally pass the bill. Regardless, I think we are still OK.

Posted by: Shane at May 20, 2006 11:00 PM

I'm sitting in Milwaukee right now after the game waiting for a result. Krinkie's annoying as can be. I'm embarassed my area has kept him at the Capitol this long.

Posted by: ML at May 20, 2006 11:02 PM

The 'silent' majority. Krinkie hasd lost it. If the majority of public doesn't want a stadium why were they silent.

Posted by: Nora at May 20, 2006 11:03 PM

Didnt anyone see this referendum thing coming into play? and by anyone I mean the media who for the pst day have been saying the stadium should pass house easily and Senate most likely. Maybe this is still right, but I'm getting nervous

Posted by: Luke at May 20, 2006 11:04 PM

The biggest person at fault for this debate in the House is Sen. Kelley

Posted by: David Howe at May 20, 2006 11:07 PM

good news

Posted by: Cody at May 20, 2006 11:10 PM

Looks like about 78

Posted by: David Howe at May 20, 2006 11:10 PM

Thank the lord and Vote on the Bill!

Posted by: freealonzo at May 20, 2006 11:11 PM

1st hurdle cleared

Posted by: Luke at May 20, 2006 11:11 PM

When I saw the first vote that was all green my heart went up in my throat. I thought the stadium was dead for a good 5 minutes. This is intense.

Posted by: Bruce at May 20, 2006 11:15 PM

The green vote was a call of the house. They're supposed to push the green button to signify they are present. The fact that about 10 of them pushed the red button says alot about the intellegence of this body

Posted by: David Howe at May 20, 2006 11:17 PM

Ha! I hear you Bruce! I thought the same thing. Man, that was a frightening moment.

Posted by: Shane at May 20, 2006 11:17 PM

can/Will the Senate bring this same argument up too??

Posted by: Luke at May 20, 2006 11:18 PM

Ya think Lanning is going over to Vandeveer right now to punch him in the mouth?

Posted by: freealonzo at May 20, 2006 11:20 PM

The scary thing is we keep electing these bozos.

Posted by: Nora at May 20, 2006 11:21 PM

Wow, that was like watching game 5 in 2002 playoffs at Oakland....I had an easier time watching that!!! The Greet Machine is saving me tonight. Thank you!!!

Posted by: Derek at May 20, 2006 11:21 PM

I am concerned that some of the 75 votes were from members who did not want this to go back to committee becasue of the delay it would cause, but who are in fact No votes on the bill.

My Rep, Rep. Otremba voted against the motion, but I can almost guarantee is also a No vote on the bill. Hopefully not many more votes were like this. What do you think Shane?

Posted by: David Howe at May 20, 2006 11:22 PM

I think we can be assured that the Senate will have these exact same arguments.

These legislators have no one to blame but themselves if they don't get finished with the other bills they need to do tonight.

Posted by: Shane at May 20, 2006 11:23 PM

I see lots of Green!!!!

Posted by: freealonzo at May 20, 2006 11:27 PM

Touch 'em all House of Represenatives, Touch 'em all!!

Posted by: freealonzo at May 20, 2006 11:28 PM

Well, the Speaker was wrong. It didn't get 80 votes but I guess that's OK. ;0)

Posted by: Transic at May 20, 2006 11:30 PM

The overall debate didn't take as long as I expected. I think the Vikings think cost it a few votes, but who cares anymore.

My Rep. Otremba once again not only voted no, however, but again didn't vote til the last second. She is so gutless I will have to write a letter to the editor of the local paper.

Posted by: David Howe at May 20, 2006 11:30 PM

The Senate webcast shows a conference committee waiting to convene. I assume this means that both bodies will be recessing soon. Ugh. So it will be a while before the Senate vote

Posted by: David Howe at May 20, 2006 11:38 PM

From what I've heard, here's what has to happen.

The Senate is waiting for the House to adjourn so the House-Senate Committee can meet and take care of some things. Then the Senate will come back together, then who knows what they will do before the get to the stadium. Seriously, it may be 3-5 more hours.

Posted by: Cody at May 20, 2006 11:42 PM

Actually that committee just met and now recessed, all while the House continued to debate. So that's good anyway.

Posted by: David Howe at May 20, 2006 11:47 PM

Story's up on the Strib right now. Click on my username.

Posted by: Transic at May 20, 2006 11:52 PM