< Hallelujah! | Main | What can I say? >

Stadium Architect Presentations Set for May 24

U of M Homecoming button, 1922

So, I was expecting to take a little break today, and then this news came out. If you want to get a little taste of how a stadium architecture firm is selected, this is the event for you. Note that HOK will be there, and they will discuss past projects. Maybe they'll throw a little about the Twins stadium in there.

Wouldn't it be nice if the Twins process was as open as this? Hopefully that will be the case.

Three finalists to design the proposed on-campus football stadium will make public presentations May 24. Public presentations will be in the Rapson Hall Auditorium [see map].

1:30 pm: HNTB Architects
2:30 pm: Crawford Architects
3:30 pm: HOK Architects

Each firm will be asked to present their qualifications and team, provide an overview of their firm, highlight past projects and experience, and talk about their approach to our project. Firms will not be showing images or pictures of what the new stadium will look like if their firm is selected.

(The image at the top is the U of M Homecoming button for 1922. Memorial Stadium opened in 1924, so this button must be in reference to the excitement the campus felt over its construction. This image has been graciously provided to me by the Social Welfare History Archives at the U of M Libraries.)

Posted by snackeru at May 22, 2006 3:46 PM | Stadiums 2006

I am glad the Gophers finally get to play in an outdoor stadium. Nothing like a fall afternoon football game. I just hope they make the exit gates large enough for the Hawkeyes to get the goalposts through!

Posted by: Steve at May 22, 2006 4:06 PM

This post made me think - Have you purchased "Stadium Arcadium" yet, Shane?

:)

Posted by: bjhess at May 22, 2006 4:17 PM

Just wonsering when exactly does the .15% sales tax in Hennipen County start for the Twins? As soon as the governor signs it and Hennipen county commissioners approve it agaian or is it a set date like Jan. 1st, 2007????

Posted by: Luke at May 22, 2006 8:07 PM

Someone will call you on this sooner or later, Shane, so we might as well get it over with. Memorial Stadium opened in 1924, so the 1922 homecoming button must have expressed the kind of anticipation we are feeling.

Posted by: oldstuffer at May 22, 2006 9:19 PM

Do'h! I shall alter my text. Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

Posted by: Shane at May 22, 2006 9:21 PM

Hasn't the Twins stadium architect and design already been chosen? It's been my impression that the Twins have had HOK (surprise) lined up for some time, and their renderings and diagrams are plastered all over the official site. That's why I've been so nervous about the design itself -- a number of HOK ballparks have been real disappointments, and it's doubtful that HOK or the Twins will strive to make this park very unique or representative of the region, but rather just blend in with the other parks around the league.

Posted by: spycake at May 22, 2006 9:41 PM