< What can I say? | Main | New Ballpark Celebration! You are invited! >

Governor Pawlenty to sign stadium bills

Just got this in (this one is for you MOJO!):

-GOPHER STADIUM-

WHO: Governor Tim Pawlenty
WHAT: Governor Pawlenty signs the Gopher stadium bill.
WHEN: Wednesday, May 24, 3:00 p.m.
WHERE: University of Minnesota,McNamara Alumni Center, 200 Oak Street SE, Minneapolis

-TWINS STADIUM-

WHO: Governor Tim Pawlenty
WHAT: Governor Pawlenty signs the Twins stadium bill.
WHEN: Friday, May 26, 7:00 p.m.
WHERE: Minnesota Twins v. Seattle Mariners, H.H.H. Metrodome, Minneapolis

So, there you have it. Exciting times!

Posted by snackeru at May 23, 2006 2:50 PM

I hear the plan is to have him sign the bill at home plate. Good political move, I'd say.

Posted by: Kris at May 23, 2006 3:30 PM

I read somewhere that the Governor has to sign bills within 72 hours of passage. Does anyone know if this is accurate? If so, I hope he has already signed the real bill and these things are ceremonial?

Not to be paranoid but I still don't trust MN government.

Posted by: David Howe at May 23, 2006 4:15 PM

Thanks Shane!!

Posted by: MOJO at May 23, 2006 4:27 PM

Too bad he couldn't hold off on signing the bill until next Thursday.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jiminstpaul at May 23, 2006 4:36 PM

whats next Thursday

Posted by: MOJO at May 23, 2006 4:46 PM

Stay tuned.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jiminstpaul at May 23, 2006 4:55 PM

Proponents of the 1 billion dollar tax increase for this stadium were saying on an earlier thread that vehicles are exempted from the sales tax here. I requested a citation from the bill. I still haven't seen one. I'm just asking again for some evidence for this.

Posted by: Eva Young at May 23, 2006 9:04 PM

Eva, I challenge you to find any documentation that medicine, food, and clothing are all exempt! I can't find any documentation on any of this. So, you can either believe it, or not. I'm sure Ramsey County dealers would be glad to have your business!

I've been told by county officials that car sales are exempt and I believe it. Besides, I think we would have seen car dealerships make a little more noise if it wasn't the case.

Posted by: Shane at May 23, 2006 10:10 PM

Who cares if cars are exempt or not. On a $30,000 car thats a big f'in $45.00. If I was smart I would tell my dealer to lower the cost of the car $45 or I'll drive 50 miles round trip to white bear lake and not pay the sales tax. This is a non issue. Hennepin County car dealers will not notice the difference. If this is all Eva can come up, we got a pretty good deal going.

Posted by: freealonzo at May 23, 2006 10:37 PM

Two things:

1) Don't pick on Eva here. I've been asking for similar confirmation of the auto exemption for some time. Shane, do you remember what county official told you about it? I haven't received a response from my commissioner yet on the question.

2) Isn't it almost worse if cars are indeed exempt? That might save some business for Hennepin Co. dealers, but it makes the tax even more regressive. I know the per-capita burden is still fairly small, so I'm not averse to paying it on those grounds, but it will fall disproportionately on those residents who live and work full-time in Hennepin County and support local shops and businesses. And many of us won't even be able to sniff going to the new ballpark on any sort of regular basis.

I guess point #2 is really a beef with the Governor, who'd probably eliminate the income tax altogether if given the choice, and the Twins, who want to increase prices and lower supply as their new economic model...

Posted by: spycake at May 24, 2006 10:30 AM

I have also read in the Star Tribune that cars are exempt from the tax. It's not that they are exempt only from this increase, but they are not subject to the normal sales tax. It is a different tax that is levied on cars, but I don't know the details. Ask the car dealer when you call to threaten them, they'll know.

Posted by: David Howe at May 24, 2006 11:01 AM

I suspected that, David, although I haven't seen it in the Star Tribune yet.

Apparently, we Greet Machiners don't buy new cars often enough!

Posted by: spycake at May 24, 2006 11:43 AM

In a joyous celebration Wednesday (May 24), Gov. Tim Pawlenty signed a long-awaited bill into law that will bring Minnesota football back to campus a quarter century after the Gophers moved to the Metrodome in 1982.

Click on my username to read the entire story.

Posted by: Transic at May 24, 2006 5:55 PM