< Snow sledding | Main | An Evening Walk at Minnehaha Falls >

Trying a Podcast

So, this is my first podcast. Nothing really earth-shattering - just a couple of songs and me talking in between. If you haven't noticed, I'm giving some new technology a try (new for me anyway). If you are wondering, this is what I used to make my podcast:

Anyway, again, I hope you enjoy it. It was pretty easy, so I could see myself doing it again. Honestly I might like vlogging a little more. If you want to subscribe to it so you can get any future podcasts, here is my RSS 2.0 file.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I'm breaking all kinds of copyright laws by putting up at the very least the second song I picked. I did cut it off early so if you like it you will have to get a hold of the whole thing yourself some other way. The first song I have already found on numerous web sites. So, get it while its hot!

Greet Machine - Podcast 1

Posted by snackeru at June 9, 2006 10:56 PM

Cool. I'm also wondering what the copyright laws are on podcasting. Is it OK to bring in the tunes as long as you own the musc and you are not getting paid to provide this content? Let us know if you happen to find out anything!

Posted by: bjhess at June 10, 2006 2:50 PM

My thinking is that playing licensed songs in a podcast, like I have just done, is not exactly legal. However, right now there is a lot of room for interpretation. Two documents I have found do a pretty thorough job of explaining the perils:

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide
http://www.collegebroadcasters.org/podcast.shtml

Essentially, ASCAP, BMI, and smaller licensing companies want a piece of the action. I've read that ASCAP and BMI could cost as much as $500 per year each to satisfy their licensing requirments. For a "average joe" like me who doesn't make any money off any of this, it doesn't make much sense.

In essence, stay away from licensed music. In reality, it would be amazing if anyone could actually police this activity. For me, though, I'll probably stay away from copyrighted, non-indie music in the future.

Posted by: Shane at June 10, 2006 4:37 PM

With podcasting, blogging, and video, it would appear as though we have a new King of All Media, and his name is Shane!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at June 12, 2006 8:56 AM

Rocking the airwaves from his basement in St. Louis Park, it's the madman, Shane, only on KTGM!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at June 12, 2006 9:16 AM

Look at the Strib today (JUNE 12). We need to stay
vigilant,and support the 4 commissioners who support the BALLPARK !

Posted by: jimj at June 12, 2006 11:34 AM