< Maybe ... | Main | Links of the day >

OK ... this is just too cool to keep to myself

Yep. I'm back. I was considering permanent blogging retirement, but something happened today that is just too cool for me to keep quiet. In fact, it just put a huge grin on my face. Allow me to explain.

I have been selected as the Neerland and Oyaas, Inc. "Firecracker of the Year." Can you believe it? If you want to read more about it, you can point your browser to Neerland and Oyaas Online.

firecracker.gif

You might be wondering to yourself, who the heck are Neerland and Oyaas? Neerland and Oyaas, Inc. are a consulting firm in Minneapolis that serves profit and non-profit institutions from the region and beyond. They were also heavily involved with New Ballpark Inc, hence their knowledge of me.

Anywho, in their newsletter today they listed all the candidates for their annual "Firecracker of the Year" before announcing:

Accepting the award for all these people will be the embodiment of personal, unflagging and unselfish service, Shane Nackeru[d], whose clever blogging on The Greet Machine turned out to be an instrumental tool for legislative leaders and lobbyists in shepherding the ballpark legislation through the last session. If you haven’t had the pleasure of meeting Shane, you can find out all you need to know by reading his entry dated April 28: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/snackeru/greet/2006_04.html.

Each of the aforementioned ballpark heroes will receive a 12-pack of Black Cat bottle rockets with report. Shane will have the honor of being listed as the Firecracker of the Year as it is inscribed on the stone tablet. We trust that he will consider himself honored to be mentioned among the following past Firecracker of the Year award winners.

How cool is that? I am honored and humbled by this award, plus I'll be getting a 12-pack of bottle rockets! Rock on! Seriously though, I think this is the first award that I have ever received outside of school or work.

Now, I don't write all of this to toot my own horn, but just to say what a fun ride this has all been. Sometimes, when you take a stand good things can definitely happen. Besides the reward of finally getting a new Twins ballpark, I can also say I am the Neerland and Oyaas "Firecracker of the Year." That is fricken awesome!

So, thank you from the bottom of my heart to Neerland and Oyaas, especially Mark Oyaas who I am honored to call a friend. If you ever need anything Mark, you just let me know!

And for the rest of you, those of you that keep checking everyday if I have written anything, I plan on writing regularly again after the 4th. But let me warn you, you might not like everything I have to say. Without a stadium to complain about this blog will be a lot less focused. Hopefully it will be at least a little compelling, though. We'll see.

Have a great 4th everyone!

Posted by snackeru at June 30, 2006 3:48 PM | Stadiums 2006

Shane! You did not consult me on your decision to jump back into the world (and many hours) of blogging. I haven't had enough of you yet. Please tell me this is all a big joke. Your little Kumquat!

Posted by: Kumquat at June 30, 2006 6:42 PM

Who? Shane Nackeru you say? Oh yea, he's that guy on Channel 4, I think. Didn't he want money for a park or something? Anyway that was sooo April and May. We're on to new things like SBG and his Bicycle rants. Personally I'm waiting for this Fall to watch the count down on Oracle of Cheese as Brett Favre finally breaks the career records for interceptions.

btw, congrats on your reward!

Posted by: freealonzo at June 30, 2006 10:30 PM

bottle rockets? That's the sweetest gift ever!

Hells yeah!

Posted by: Boof at July 2, 2006 9:48 PM

That is awesome Shane! Now we can finally have that bottle rocket war we've always dreamed of. I'll get my defenses ready atop my roof behind my chimney... This is going to be great!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at July 3, 2006 9:00 AM

While the bottle rocket war would be a fascinating part of the Backyard Border Battle, I see nothing but tragedy as a result. Can't we all just get along?

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at July 3, 2006 10:10 AM

Congrats, Firecracker.

Can Time Magazine Man of the Year be far behind? Come to think of it, that's kind of lame now anyway, plus you don't get small explosives.

Have a safe and happy Fourth!

Posted by: spycake at July 4, 2006 2:21 PM

CONGRATS Firecracker!!!!!

And i really forgot to wish 4th of July..........better late than never, so Happy Independence Day dear Americans.

Posted by: Hannah at July 15, 2006 2:42 AM

Congrats Shane and congrats you "Firecracker of the Year"!!!! Amazing gift you guys got, unique and anamolous.

Posted by: Alexander at July 17, 2006 6:06 AM