< Best song title ever | Main | Flowers >

Where I'm at

Well, if you haven't noticed, I've gone off the deep end. Quite frankly, I was sick of looking at the green grass, the rotating stadium pictures, really everything about the old design of this site. So, I decided to go stark for a while, as you can readily see. All that is important to me is the most recent post and the other blogs I read. No more archive links, no more category links, no more stat counters, no more stupid stuff no one cares about. Just the most recent post and the other blogs I read. I can't tell you why, but this makes me happy. And right now that is all that matters. Sorry to be so selfish.

As you can probably tell, I have had difficulty finding my groove again since the Twins stadium was approved. Call it a vacation, call it laziness, call it "approval euphoria" ... it doesn't matter, but I've really had a severe case of writer's block and lack of desire to write anything. For so long my focus had been the Twins stadium and to lose that is wonderful and tragic at the same time. Without Twins stadium news to write about everyday I haven't felt compelled to write everyday. As a result I haven't written everyday and my readership has dropped severely.

Really, though, that doesn't bother me one bit. I had my moment in the sun, my obligatory "15 minutes of fame." At the height of the Twins stadium debate I was literally getting thousands of hits a day. It was fun. But now my dirty little secret is out: besides the stadium debate, I really can't write intelligently about the actual business of the Twins. That is the business of playing baseball of course. I love to watch the Twins. I love to read about the Twins. I love to debate about starting lineups and minor league prospects. But to write about OPS, VORP, the complexities of the CBA, and Scott Baker's nut cup? Sheesh, I am out of my league.

So, while I will still write occasionally about the Twins, and most assuredly about any stadium news that comes down the pike, this blog will now be branching out. I'm going to write more about books, music, libraries, and whatever else I want to write about. Probably some stuff about the Vikings, or light rail, or religion. Whatever and whenever. And it won't be regular. But hopefully it will be toughtful and compelling.

That's what I'm gonna do. And as time goes on, this stark white design will probably change as I think of new ways to spruce it up, but for now I am starting over. And if you want to come along for the ride great, but if not I won't know anyway because I've removed all my stat counters. So, no big whoop.

Posted by snackeru at July 30, 2006 8:26 PM

Keep it coming...

Posted by: bjhess at July 30, 2006 10:07 PM

Can I have your green grass background? :o)

Posted by: freealonzo at July 30, 2006 10:19 PM

here, here

a rebirth if you will!

Posted by: Boof at July 31, 2006 12:33 AM

Would a graphic or two really be all that bad?

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at July 31, 2006 8:29 AM

I was one of the first 3 readers, I'll be one of the last 3 Shane. You know what this site needs? Backyard Border Battle events!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at July 31, 2006 8:42 AM

OK, I'm in a more minimalist mood today so I won't send you three emails telling you how much I hate the new look.
Take a break, you earned it.

Posted by: Cheesehead's wife at July 31, 2006 11:48 AM

You should write about whatever you want. It's your blog. I'm confident that you'll have something interesting to say about whatever you choose to write about.

The only thing I'd ask (which you obviously have every right to ignore) is that you make more posts available than just the last one or two. I check here when I can, but sometimes life intervenes, and I simply don't have the time. I'd like to be able to go back a couple of weeks to see what you've written if I haven't been able to read it earlier.

Just a request. Do with it what you will. I'm sure the Greet Machine will be enjoyable, regardless of the subject matter.

Posted by: Jeff A at July 31, 2006 4:18 PM

People can be so fickle sometimes. Trust me Shane, we won't forget this great forum even 10 yrs after the new stadium has opened.

Posted by: kevin in az at August 1, 2006 9:01 AM