< Minnehaha Falls | Main | Joe Mauer and the Electronic Library for Minnesota >

Songs I am ashamed to say I like

mr.jpg
Why do I like this movie? Someone please help me!
Man, I had a busy weekend. I painted two rooms, bought a couple of new dressers at IKEA, and mowed my parents lawn. Now, while I am working on stuff like this my mind likes to wander. One such wander resulted in the list below. I'm truly sorry.

Songs I am ashamed to say I like

1. "Ray of Light" by Madonna -- Yes, I am ashamed to say I like this song. I actually like a bunch of Madonna songs, but this one is probably my favorite. It is kind of catchy. There is little doubt that Madonna is a gifted musician. It is too bad she is as goofy as a bed-bug.
  2. "Let's Go Crazy" by Prince -- When the opening line starts, "Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today 2 get through this thing called life." Goosebumps, people. Goosebumps! Pathetic? Yes. Will I apologize. Ummm ... no. Besides, if you have ever seen Prince's guitar solo at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame during "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" you know that Prince can really rock when given the opportunity.
  3. The Entire Foreigner Catalog -- Fricken' Foreigner! I don't know what it is about them, but I will stop to listen to any Foreigner song on the radio. They were talented musicians and songwriters! Can you deny it? Plus, along with Iron Butterfly, REO Speedwagon, and Foghat they will undoubtedly be making an appearance at a "Monsters of ROCK!" show near you very soon.
  4. "Elephant Love Medley" on the Moulin Rouge Soundtrack -- This is particularly shameful, I know. Combine this with the fact that I actually like this movie and ... well ... I should probably just turn in my penis at the nearby hardware store tomorrow. Admitting I have a problem is the first step.
  5. "The Boys are Back in Town" by Thin Lizzy -- Oh yes. When I found out this song is actually a part of a rock opera, I could no longer deny my love for it. Curt, you have shown me the light! Thin Lizzy forever, man!

That's it for now. Please let me know if you have any additions. Stay tuned for popular songs which I just plain hate. That will probably be a longer list. Until next time!

Posted by snackeru at August 6, 2006 7:50 PM | Lists

I feel ashamed that you feel ashamed for liking a Prince song. Oh the world we live in.

"Hot Blooded," man. Great wedding dance song. Yes, I've actually requested it.

Posted by: bjhess at August 6, 2006 9:50 PM

Liking a Prince song hurts my street cred with my posse. It is a sad truth. There is little I can do about it. But I will not be intimidated any longer!

"Hot Blooded" is particularly good. I like "Cold as Ice" too, not as a wedding song, though.

Posted by: Shane at August 6, 2006 10:04 PM

Shane, I too like both the Elephant medley and Moulin Rouge, so don't feel too ashamed.

Completely changing topics, I seem to have lost your email address and had a question for you. Can you shoot me an email?

Posted by: Will at August 6, 2006 10:54 PM

What about Jewel's Goodbye Alice in Wonderland????? Jewel's acoustic guitar and smooth vocals give this song its oomph.

Posted by: Ben Bicais at August 7, 2006 1:58 AM

"Staying Alive". Bee Gees. I don't know why, but I love that song.

Posted by: SBG at August 7, 2006 5:30 AM

I honestly feel ashamed to be from the same state as Prince; I just can't stand the guy or any of his music. Glad to see that you have finally come around to recognizing the genius that was Thin Lizzy. According to wikipedia, there is a statue to Phil Lynott in Dublin, so we'll have to go take our picture there in 2014. I know this will be a highlight of the trip.

What about songs that make you ill? Does Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo still have this effect?

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at August 7, 2006 8:27 AM

No reason to be ashamed of liking Foreigner. Milli Vanilli yes, Foreginer, no. Oh and "Let's go Crazy" is an awesome song.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at August 7, 2006 8:35 AM

Since everyone else is putting forth songs I should also. Duran Duran's "Please Please Tell Me Now" I rather enjoy.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at August 7, 2006 8:38 AM

I am a sucker for the entire Moulin Rouge soundtrack, especially Elephant Love Song. Ray of Light is probably my only Madonna song I could tolerate.

Posted by: freealonzo at August 7, 2006 8:39 AM

Sheesh, freealonzo! It appears we have very similar musical tastes. And good addition of a Duran Duran song, CC. I happen to like "Hungry Like the Wolf" a fair amount also.

Curt, I'm building a list of "songs that make me ill." Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo may make an appearance.

Posted by: Shane at August 7, 2006 8:46 AM

Golden Earring:
Twilight Zone.
Stops the dial dead every time. Now, there's an underrated band.

Posted by: Cheesehead's Wife at August 7, 2006 9:24 AM

I don't believe there's any shame in liking Prince's music. Shane's posse is just going to have to get a clue as far as that goes. Yes, the man is weird, but he's a musical genius and most of them are weird - at least he's not Jacko.

I can't think of anything I currently listen to that I'm ashamed of, but I did have a pretty bad hair-metal phase (Poison, Whitesnake, etc.) back in high school. My one saving grace is I did not attempt to embrace their sense of "style" - thank goodness!

Posted by: Mark at August 7, 2006 12:55 PM

If you don't enjoy at least some Prince music, well, you have no taste. End of story.

I really enjoy Duran Duran. No shame in that. I still probably like "Rio" the most, but I can stand listening to their Greatest Hits album pretty consistently.

In a similar vain, I have a thing for Level 42.

Posted by: bjhess at August 8, 2006 8:59 AM