< Songs I am ashamed to say I like | Main | The Bridge >

Joe Mauer and the Electronic Library for Minnesota

mauerSI.jpgI don't subscribe to Sports Illustrated. And I'm not much of a collector so purchasing a magazine just for one article seems like a waste of money. I still wanted to read the cover story about Joe Mauer, though, and more importantly I wanted to read the article from the comfort of my home. How did I overcome these problems? Easy! I used the Electronic Library for Minnesota.

elm.jpgFortunately, being a Minnesotan gives me online access to literally thousands of magazines and journals just by virtue of having a public library card. Here is how you, too, can read the Joe Mauer article for free, and online:

1. Point your browser to ELM
  2. Click on "Databases Alphabetically" under the "Quick Links" menu on the left side of the page.
  3. Click on the first choice: Academic Search Premier
  4. Enter your public library barcode (found on your library card).
  5. Do a search for "Joe Mauer"
  6. Click on the first article entitled "The Perfect Catch" and read the article online for free!

And that is all there is to it. And SI isn't the only magazine/journal this database has the complete online text for. You might also be interested in:

The list goes on and on. I don't subscribe to any magazines because of all the ones I can get for free using this method. But that is just me. Anywho, hopefully you'll find this helpful. Until next time!

Posted by snackeru at August 7, 2006 12:22 PM

I also use the same service to access the Wall Strtet Journal which is not available on-line for free.

Was at Magnolia Bakery today from Lazy Sunday (Chronic Wha of Narnia)

Posted by: freealonzo at August 7, 2006 12:48 PM

This could be the most informative and helpful post you have ever done. Who knew how far-reaching the library's power had become? (cue sinister music)

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at August 7, 2006 2:15 PM

Wow. Excellent!

Posted by: bjhess at August 7, 2006 3:39 PM

Oh, and there were some pretty nice pictures in that article. ;)

Posted by: bjhess at August 7, 2006 3:43 PM

Bah! Pictures! Who needs 'em?

(Yes, that would be nice, but free is free. Plus, I can just cut and paste the text into my blog. You win some, and you lose some.)

Posted by: Shane at August 7, 2006 3:49 PM

LOL!!! Shane, you're a true blue Norwegian!!!

Posted by: kevin in az at August 7, 2006 5:33 PM