< I'm convinced! | Main | A Fun Time at the Fair >

Going to the Fair

goldyfair.jpg Well, I'm going to the Fair today. It should be a good day for it, too. Not a lot of people and a little overcast. I plan on eating a lot, seeing some shows, and looking at the displays. And speaking of shows, this reminds me of a reaction I had to a couple of the shows I saw two years ago, and the method they use to get the crowd to cheer louder. Very annoying:

We also saw the 3rd Lair skate show, and the Extreme Team diving show. My kids, especially my middle child, really liked both shows. The skate show featured skate boarding and in-line skating and I was more impressed than I thought I would be. And the dive show, while a little hokey, definitely had me squirming in my seat. I don't know how anyone can climb so high and then jump. I could barely watch.

Both shows also aggravated me. I'll tell you why. In their attempts to get the crowds to cheer louder, both shows constantly used the old "We can't hear you" method to get us to yell and scream. You know what I am talking about:

Announcer: Do you want to see some diving?!?!
Crowd: Yaaaaay! Woooo! Yes! We would like to see some diving, thanks for asking!
Announcer: Oh, come on! I could barely even hear you. Now, do you want to see some diving?!?!?!?
Crowd: YEEEESSSS!!! Please dive for us! Woooo!!!! We are being louder!!
Announcer: I still can't hear you! I swear, we will just pack up and leave if we don't hear some REAL cheers this time! One more time, DO YOU WANT TO SEE SOME DIVING!?!?!?!?
Crowd: WOOOOOO!!!! CLAP, CLAP, CLAP!!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, PLEASE LET US SEE SOME DIVING!!!! YOU HAVE WORKED US INTO A FRENZY THAT CAN ONLY BE SATISFIED BY PEOPLE JUMPING FROM OBSCENCE HEIGHTS INTO A SMALL POOL OF WATER!!!! YAAAAY!!!!!!

You get the picture. I have come to a point in my life where I find this tactic to be extremely annoying. I might do it once a show, but both the skate show and the dive show went through this cycle at least three times. I just had to stop cheering. That's right, I came to a point where I would risk not "seeing some diving" because I refused to play their little game anymore! So, if any would be announcers are out there reading this please spare your crowds this method of forcing cheers. We can probably handle it once, but three times is a little excessive.

I expect more of this today. Anyways, see you later. I'll let you know how it goes.

Go Twins!

Posted by snackeru at August 25, 2006 11:29 AM

If you go to the education building look at the diorama projects and school projects awards, you might see a familar name with first and second place ribbons :o)

Posted by: freealonzo at August 25, 2006 12:17 PM

I hope you got a chance to stop by the Eco Experience up at the Progress Center building. If so, let me know what you think of it since I had a role in getting it up and running, including staying until midnight the night before the Fair opened doing last-minute prep work.

Posted by: Mark at August 25, 2006 1:48 PM

I was supposed to go to the Flaming Lips show last night, but plans fell through a couple days ago. Thank goodness. I wonder what happened to ticket holders? Refund or is there another show scheduled.

Posted by: bjhess at August 25, 2006 5:09 PM

Are you excited about going to the fair, Shane?

What's that? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

Oh wait. I'm just reading a text post. Of course I can't hear you. Nevermind.

Posted by: spycake at August 25, 2006 9:31 PM

This was always my favorite time of the year. I miss the fair! Have a pronto pup for me!

Posted by: kevin in az at August 26, 2006 7:47 AM

Anybody else try the "Hot Dish on a Stick" yet?

I thought it was great, and the cream of mushroom soup for dipping was a nice touch! Hopefully it becomes an annual offering.

Posted by: Mark at August 29, 2006 1:07 PM