< The final hurdle | Main | Miscellaneous Musings >

Hold the phone!

antistadium.jpgWait a minute here ... I can't believe I missed this before, but I was reading this article about Hennepin County voting to approve funding for a new Twins stadium when I chanced upon these snippets. I am really quite stunned:

"The county levy will go up by 0.15 percent, which works out to an additional 3 cents on a $20 purchase.

Though Tuesday's outcome was expected, several protesters were on hand to vent their anger that it was done without a referendum."

What? Did I just read that correctly? There won't be a referendum? And the county is going to tax me 3 cents on every $20 purchase? This is an outrage! How could I have missed this important information for so long? This is taxation without representation! But it gets worse! Check this out:

"In May, the Legislature approved a financing plan for the $522 million stadium project. The sales tax increase will finance three-quarters of the stadium's cost. The Twins will pay $130 million and get all game-day revenue and in-stadium advertising proceeds. The team's annual revenue is estimated to grow by at least $40 million."

The Twins are only paying $130 million of the $522 million cost? Why wasn't I told any of this? Next thing you'll tell me is they're going to build this monstrosity next to a garbage burner!

That's it! I am now officially anti-stadium! If I had known any of this was going to happen I would have fought this long ago. Please write your representatives! And write your senators! We can't let this go forward!

In addition, I just found this great web site, CCARL.com, which is trying to fight against this tyranny! I encourage you to visit this site and sign their petition! Although only a little over 200 people have signed it I think we could make our voices heard here and make a difference!

Who is with me? Is it too late?

Posted by snackeru at August 29, 2006 10:32 PM | Stadiums

Shane, you should check out this columnist in the Star Tribune. His name is Nick Coleman and he has a very well reasoned, nicely articulated article about this very issue. I think once our elected officials read what Mr. Coleman (who, btw, kinda looks like Brad Pitt) has to say, I am sure they will put an end to all this stadium nonesense.

Posted by: freealonzo at August 30, 2006 7:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, freealonzo! I will check out Mr. Coleman's column forthwith! There must be something we can do!

Posted by: Shane at August 30, 2006 7:57 AM

It's a boondoggle I tell you, a boondoggle! Break out the Boondoggle-Signal in the sky from on top of the Foshay building to call in Anti-Tax Man, Phil Krinkie and his trusty side-kick Ricki Rask!

Now is the time for action! We need a town hall meeting where we can speak about our grievences then come up with inflamitory and ill-concieved arguments and call people names! Break out the 25 year old "no money for millionaires" signs!

What about the children? THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!

It's a boondoggle I say, BOONDOGGLLLLLLE!!!!!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at August 30, 2006 8:32 AM

Sad day for baseball folks. I can't believe I am going to pay 3 cents for every $20 dollar steak I buy......Oh wait food doesn't count. Well then I better not ever buy a car in Hennepin County.....that would be a huge tax....3 cents for every $20 on that purchase. Im driving to St Cloud to buy cars from now on.....Oh wait motor vehicles don't count either!
I am boycotting this new stadium......

Posted by: MOJO at August 30, 2006 9:01 AM

I know how I can boycott this boondoggle! I'm gonna drive five miles over to the Roseville Best Buy rather than the Target three blocks away.

That'll save me that 3 cents per $20 I spend on DVDs and only cost me, let's see...10 mile round trip at 30 mpg and gas is about $2.75 now, so that works out to 90 cents...oh, shoot...that's not gonna work, either.

By the way, I saw a dude outside the Metrodome last night selling "Smell 'em" T-shirts. Not sure if it's the same design Gardy had made up, but they're pretty cool and available for $20. Get yours now before the tax kicks in! :-)

Posted by: Mark at August 30, 2006 12:34 PM

Your journey to the dark side is complete.

Posted by: Other Tim at August 30, 2006 4:11 PM

I bet everyone of these anti-stadium people were in attendance during Game 7 of the '87 or '91 WS games or watching on their TV. It would be great to have one of them start pissing and moaning at some meeting and then produce a photo showing them in Twins garb from '87 or '91.

Posted by: Brian Maas at August 31, 2006 12:42 PM

Hey Minnesota people. Do you really want to loss Twins? I think it a smart idea. Life is not fair. Stop complain and be glad that you have baseball team in your state.

Posted by: na at August 31, 2006 5:26 PM

You, sir, need to think about the children.

Posted by: Neil at August 31, 2006 9:10 PM

Neil,

Don't be a jerk. It looks to me like you are heckling someone using English as a second (or third or fourth) language. When you can post cogent comments in a language other than your first and/or native tongue, then you may have room to gripe. Until then, try to stick to the topic, however tongue-in-cheek it may be.

Posted by: Dave at September 1, 2006 2:38 AM

Um, I'm not sure how I was heckling? Or how I was off topic for that matter?
Though I appreciate your attempt to mete out some cyber-justice in defense of na, you got the wrong guy. "Won't someone think about the children?" It's a joke. (Unoriginal as it may be.) I'm not sure how that is heckling someone for being a non-native speaker (something I didn't even realize at the time).
Whatever.

Posted by: Neil at September 1, 2006 9:19 AM

OK. I'm taking the bait. Was this an attempt for irony? Sarcasm? I'm trying to figure out what Shane's angle is, because I don't think he really was uninformed about the details of the Hennepin/Twins plan. The details have been all over the media for a long, long time, ever since I began reading about Hennepin officials negotiating with the Twins a year back.

This is not to allude to my own personal opinion of the stadium tax, just to figure out what Shane is up to.

Posted by: James (NY) at September 1, 2006 5:43 PM

James! There is no angle! After years of fighting for a new Twins stadium, reading every single article on the topic, writing well over 500 individual posts on every nuance of every proposed plan ... I seem to have missed the parts about the lack of a referendum and that the Twins will expect me to pay for the stadium. I don't know how it happened.

So, even though there is no chance that this plan won't go through now that the HC Commissioners have voted in favor of it, even though the tax will go into effect on January 1st whether we like it or not, even though this plan will build the very ballpark I have dreamed of for well over 10 years ... with tongue firmly in cheek I am now anti-stadium. Better late than never, heh?

Have a good one! Go Twins!

Posted by: Shane at September 1, 2006 9:31 PM