< Hold the phone! | Main | Vikings stadium vision >

Miscellaneous Musings

So, my wife and I were watching the Food Network a couple of nights ago when one of my wife's favorite shows came on, Paula's Home Cooking. Paula is a southern belle with a deep dixie accent and I was immediately drawn in to the program. Usually I don't watch cooking shows at all, but the combination of her accent and what she was actually cooking were enough to retain my interest.

She was cooking what she called "Cheesy Ham and Banana Casserole." Yes, ham and banana. It is an amazing concoction that not only includes ham and bananas, but also cream and eggs, potato chips, white bread, bacon, and cheese. As she cooked this I couldn't help my desire to actually try this unique combination of flavors. So, my wife cooked it last night:

Cheesy Ham and Banana Casserole

What do you think? Looks good? Well, if you are interested, I found the recipe on the Food Network site:

Butter
12 slices white bread
8 large slices deli ham
4 bananas, sliced on the bias
2 cups shredded Cheddar
2 cups crushed potato chips
6 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Butter a 9 by 13 glass baking dish. Butter both sides of the bread and layer 6 of them into the bottom of the baking dish, overlapping them as necessary but keep them even. Layer the slices of ham on top of the bread and then the bananas, 6 more slices of bread, then the cheese, potato chips, and bacon. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, cream, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Pour this over the casserole almost to the top. Bake for 45 minutes until brown and bubbly. Cut into squares and remove with a spatula, like lasagna.

And furthermore, the dish was actually pretty good. The bananas added a little unexpected kick to the taste. My kids seemed to like it too:

Cheesy Ham and Banana Casserole

I was watching ESPN last Sunday morning when a very interesting story came on about Stephon Marbury. If you haven't heard, Stephon launched his own shoe line this summer called "Starbury." The show, "Outside the Lines," was talking to Stephon about his new shoe and the decision that went behind its very low price:

$14.98 a pair.

Yes, Stephon is selling his shoe for the phenomenal price of $14.98 a pair! And there are a bunch of shoes to choose from, all with the same price. According to Stephon, he wanted kids to be able to not only buy his sneakers, but do so with their own money. You often hear athletes make bold statements that it is "all about the kids," and usually these statements prove hollow. In this case, however, I honestly believe Stephon when he says this is all about the kids. $14.98 a pair is so cheap that anyone can buy these shoes, and people are buying them like crazy.

After seeing this show I was overcome with the feeling that I had to have a pair of these shoes. How do they look? Are they comfortable? Could I play basketball in them? Will they last? Do they feel cheap? I had to find out.

So, that afternoon Cheesehead Craig and I went out to Steve and Barry's, the only store that carries them, at Brookdale Mall. If you haven't heard of Steve and Barry's I suggest you make a trek out to this amazing store to see for yourself what a cool place this is. Besides the Starbury line of merchandise, everything in the store is $6.98. You want a pair of flip-flops? $6.98. You want a new Miami Hurricane jacket? $6.98. Craig and I were blown away.

The selection of Starbury's was pretty slim due to their popularity, but Craig and I both managed to find size 12s that we sat down and tried on. Craig didn't like the feel of the shoe, but I was of the opinion that it didn't even matter. I was going to buy them regardless. So, I did. I am now the proud owner of the Starbury One all for the price of $14.98:

Starbury

Starbury

I have worn them off and on for a week now. They are comfortable and stylish, and my street cred here at the U of M Libraries has gone through the roof. I am impressed with their quality, and I think they will hold up well.

Only time will tell, though. So, I'm going to wear them for a while and report back what I think. So far they appear to be a good shoe at a great price.

Anyone else have the Starburys? What do you think?

Oh yeah, and Go Twins!

Posted by snackeru at September 1, 2006 8:12 AM

You know, I have no street cred here at the library, so perhaps I'll have to buy some Starburys! I tried to get some cred a couple of years ago by bragging about how long I sat in line to buy the latest Harry Potter, but it didn't work. Perhaps its the shoes that make the man (and his cred)...

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at September 5, 2006 10:22 AM

Street cred at the library. That's quality.

boy, those things are butt ugly.

Posted by: brianS at September 15, 2006 11:03 AM