< Vikings stadium vision | Main | Gold Medal Flour >

Links of the day

The Risk Pool: What’s behind Ireland’s economic miracle—and G.M.’s financial crisis?

"Under the circumstances, one of the great mysteries of contemporary American politics is why [GM C.E.O Rick] Wagoner isn’t the nation’s leading proponent of universal health care and expanded social welfare."

Dealer's Choice

Another reason GM is faltering. More-short sighted thinking. Man, I'm going to have to subscribe to the New Yorker, I think. Good stuff in this magazine.

AOL Search Logs Search

If you didn't hear (and I'd be surprised if you didn't) a while back AOL willingly released a couple months of random (and seemingly) anonymous search engine data from AOL Search. This proved to be a huge mistake as some of the search data proved so unique that some people were in fact identified. Oops.

The link above details the searches people performed with each user given, again, a seemingly anonymous ID number. You can search for a keyword, or search by user ID. Take, for example, user ID 711391:

Over the course of a couple of months, user 711391 searched for "mansfield first assembly," "probation officer dan myers," "how do you break off an affair," "why do parents abuse their children," "canyon gate at northpointe tomball texas," "how do you get over an affair that was a mistake," "pictures of sluts," "symptoms of strep throat," "christian poems," "salem lutheran church tomball tx" and so much more, a lot of which I don't want to put into print here.

So, we have a person that may live in Mansfield or Tomball, Texas, who may know a probation officer named "Dan Myers," who may have recently had an affair, who may have been a victim of child abuse, who might like online porn, who maybe recently had strep throat, and who might be a Christian. And this is just a small set of example searches performed by this user, or set of users. How hard would it be to figure out who this person is? Not very, I would wager, if you really put your mind to it.

What a royal screw up for AOL. And to think they were already reeling...

Sufjan Stevens live on "Morning Becomes Eclectic" with Nick Harcourt

I know, I know ... I have linked to something about Sufjan Stevens before. And I know some of you (cough * freealonzo * cough) don't like the music of Sufjan Stevens. But I would wager you are in the minority. This is a link to a video from the show "Morning Becomes Eclectic" from KCRW out of Santa Monica College in California. If you like the music of Sufjan Stevens, this video is 39 minutes of musical bliss. Plus, according to a part of this Wikipedia article Minnesota may be on his short list for states to tackle.

Disowning Conservative Politics, Evangelical Pastor Rattles Flock

“More and more people are saying this has gone too far — the dominance of the evangelical identity by the religious right,? Mr. McLaren said. “You cannot say the word ‘Jesus’ in 2006 without having an awful lot of baggage going along with it. You can’t say the word ‘Christian,’ and you certainly can’t say the word ‘evangelical’ without it now raising connotations and a certain cringe factor in people.

“Because people think, ‘Oh no, what is going to come next is homosexual bashing, or pro-war rhetoric, or complaining about ‘activist judges.’ ?

I don't care who you are, this is a problem. Thank the Lord pastors like Greg Boyd, Randall Balmer, Jim Wallis, Tony Campolo, and Rick Warren are trying to bring the message back to Jesus and His message.

You may also know that the above New York Times article prompted our friend Nick Coleman to write his own article about this topic. This prompted me to say, "Even a pig finds a cherry every now and again."

That's it for now. Thanks for stopping by.

Posted by snackeru at September 5, 2006 2:24 PM | Links of the day

Shane, Slate.com had a article a couple of weeks ago about the AOL debacle and broke it down into 7 ways people search the web. It was very interesting. Here's the link:

www.slate.com/id/2147590/

Even though I've bought into the Sufjan Stevens, I would be intrigued by a Minnesota-themed album.

Posted by: freealonzo at September 6, 2006 12:19 PM

Hooray for more Sufjan! I caught my fiancee tapping her foot to the instrumental "Chicago" version in Little Miss Sunshine even though she HATES both Illinoise and The Avalanche.

Posted by: Will Young at September 6, 2006 12:34 PM

I never did get on the Sufjan bandwagon. I have had it on my iPod since it started getting some buzz and have never made through in one listen. If anyone is interested in some music in a similiar style, the new M. Ward, Post War, will definitely be in my 2006 top ten.
Hey, I thought TwinsBallpark 2010.com was going to be the go to site for new ballpark info. Where are the updates!? Shane, let's step in and pick up the slack!
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: jiminstpaul at September 7, 2006 3:19 PM

Thanks for the comment Jim. Yes, I'll probably get back into stadium talk some time in the future. It has been nice taking a break though.

What is your "Best Album of the Year" so far? What should I drop everything to listen to?

Posted by: Shane at September 10, 2006 8:16 PM

I didn't notice at first the link on the GM CEO. What's even more puzzling is that the shareholders aren't pushing him in that direction.

Posted by: SBG at September 11, 2006 6:45 PM