< The Scream | Main | What a great season >

Right where we want them

radke.jpg

In the words of Eric Neel of ESPN's Page 2 who was writing about the reasons the Twins would win the Central:

Brad Radke's heart. He's on the shelf right now, trying to nurse a bum shoulder back in time for the last weekend of the season -- and, he hopes, the playoffs. But even if he doesn't make it back, he already has given the club a tremendous lift with the way he has pitched this season -- because the way he has pitched this season is with a bum shoulder and a whole truckload of want-to. For two years, he has been winging it with a torn labrum, and he recently discovered there was a stress fracture in there, too. And all he did was keep pitching, keep working it, keep -- as he told Jim Caple earlier this month -- "hump[ing] it up." As my friend Dave likes to say, "That's some man work right there." That's the sort of man work that says to everyone in the clubhouse, without Radke ever speaking a word: "What about you? How hard are you willing to work to make this happen? What you got in the tank? I gave up being able to lift my kids up off the ground, what are you willing to give up to get us where we want to go?" More than mojo, this is a prime directive. Every player in a Twins uni is measuring himself by Radke right now, trying to be more like Brad.

Down 2-0, the cardiac Twins are putting Radke, a man who can barely lift his arm, on the mound. This is it, and it is right where we want them. Can Radke's heart and example lift the Twins up one more time? Whatever the outcome, it has been a heckuva ride.

Posted by snackeru at October 5, 2006 7:56 PM

Shane is testing

Posted by: Shane at October 6, 2006 3:13 PM

Testing again.

Posted by: Shane at October 6, 2006 3:37 PM

Hey Shane, it sucks that it didn't work out today. It's a good day to remind ourselves that the most important day of this season was May 21st, and the rest of this was just gravy. Congrats again on this blog.

Posted by: David Howe at October 6, 2006 7:35 PM

It's a shame that such a wonderful season had to end with such a thud. Oh well, here's lookin' at 2010. It's just nice to end a baseball season and know our team is going to be in existence the next year and year after that. I hated those previous seasons where we thought that was it for good.

Posted by: kevin in az at October 6, 2006 8:07 PM

I would like it if Gardy would put a little less emphasis on running out ground balls and a little more emphasis on advancing base runners and situational hitting. They use the "we never give up" and "we run hard to first base" phrases like a crutch. They can play a terrible game and all you hear in post game interviews is "we never give up" or "we can't catch a break". Heck, Hunter still hasn't admitted he made an ill advised dive. Just once, I'd like to hear someone on this team stand up and say "We were terrible" or "I was terrible". Instead all we ever hear is "we always play hard". Memo to Gardy and the Twins: Playing hard is only part of the game. Playing smart and executing is the other half. The Twins only have the first half of this equation down.

Posted by: BJ at October 7, 2006 7:52 PM

Testing this post one more time

Posted by: Shane at October 9, 2006 1:53 PM