< Letting others do the writing | Main | Favorite Video Games of My Childhood: I >

Entertain me

• In the twilight of my 33rd year of life, I have come to some conclusions. mossagain.jpgFirst of all, if I am to be expected to watch the professional sports teams of the great state of Minnesota, I expect to be entertained. I came to this conclusion reading this quote from Pro Football Talk last week.

"And as to the growing throng of Vikings fans hoping for a return of Randy to the Metrodome, don't count on it. The new regime in Minnesota wants nothing to do with Moss. Coach Brad Childress got a belly full of a prima donna wideout in 2005 with T.O., and even though Moss has never been quite as disruptive as Owens, Randy causes just enough problems in a sly, subtle way to make him too much of a potential liability for a team that is trying to set a new tone."

For some reason this ticked me off. Is this what we should come to expect out of the Vikings? For one, the Vikings are the kings of NFL playoff futility. I have long ago come to grips with this. But now we've got a coach that is too much of a pansy to handle the potential shenanigans of Randy Moss? Son of a gun! So, not only will the Vikings never win the Super Bowl, they will also be as boring as watching paint dry! Whoopee!

That is when I decided that I want to be entertained. Do you remember the Randy Moss years? Plenty of touchdowns, butts in the seats, off field water cooler fodder ... good times people. Good times. I want it back!

I think Zygi and Childress need to get something straight ... they seem to think they are running the Vikings for their own personal enjoyment. In fact, it would seem that to them the fans are some kind of nuisance. The fans matter, Zygi, and I gotta admit I'm not feeling any love. I'm not saying the only thing they can do to appease me is trade back for Randy Moss, but this new mentality of being a bunch of pansies about potentially problematic players is not refreshing at all. If you can't handle prima donna players, Childress, what the heck are you doing coaching in the NFL?

• Furthermore, while the Twins thouroughly entertained me this year, there is something they could go for this off season that would thrill me to no end:

arodtc.jpg

I don't care if you think it will never happen, and I don't care if you don't want it to happen. This would be fricken awesome! Make it happen, Terry Ryan, and I will attend at least three more games next year and I will watch the Twins every Saturday night rather than take my wife out for an evening out on the town. Oh wait, I already do that! Oh well, make it four more games then.

• Lastly, and along these same lines, it would appear that the Timberwolves are also dead set against actually putting an entertaining team on the floor. What is my proof? Check out this sad article from the Star Tribune last week:

"My whole thing is, you should get what you earn," McHale said. "I don't want to put pressure on him. The worst thing you can do is say, 'Well, we're pinning our hopes on this young kid.' I think that just crushes them.

"But I also don't think you should hold them back and say, 'The guy's playing great. If we're not careful, he'll play too good.' He'll dictate how much he plays."

Of course, McHale was talking about Randy Foye. The article above, entitled "Wolves: Like McCants, Foye will have to wait his turn." Holy guacomole! Screw that! Put Randy Foye on the floor! The Wolves should be talking about how they can help him win the ROY award, not about how much bench time he is going to have.

Sheesh! We've got this player that Glen Taylor is saying the Wolves might have picked with the #1 overall, but he is going to have to fight for some playing time? Wow, that sure makes me want to go to the Target Center this year. Good call there.

Anyway, that is where I'm at right now. I just want to be entertained. I don't see the Vikings, T-Wolves, or Gophers doing anything special anytime soon so please at least try to make things interesting for me. And the Twins? A-Rod would be awesome and can't hurt any.

And that is why I'm not in the sports business. See you soon.

Posted by snackeru at October 16, 2006 10:22 PM

I dunno Shane....The 5-0 Wild look very entertaining so far...Maybe you ought to make the trip across the river to watch a few hockey games.

Posted by: kevin in az at October 17, 2006 12:08 AM

BTW, did you happen to see Coleman's column yesterday? Priceless, he just can't let it go.

Posted by: kevin in az at October 17, 2006 12:10 AM

Yes Shane I agree, time to watch some hockey.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at October 17, 2006 12:02 PM