< Favorite Video Games of My Childhood: IV | Main | Favorite Video Games of My Childhood: VI >

Favorite Video Games of My Childhood: V

Tecmo Bowl

Of course, we all know how unstoppable Bo Jackson was, as this video clearly, and comically, demonstrates. However, my favorite team to play was, obviously, the Vikings and my favorite play was the long bomb from Tommy Kramer to Anthony Carter. First, I would call the play and hike the ball. If my hapless competitor didn't call the right defense, I would notice AC start running down the sideline without a defender. Upon seeing this, I would take off towards the opposite end zone. This would make my competitor's feeble attempts at guarding AC with his controllable player virtually impossible. Once I reached the opposite end zone I would let it fly and AC would be waiting all alone. Touchdown Vikings! Simple pleasures, my friends, that is what it is all about. Simple pleasures.

Posted by snackeru at October 18, 2006 12:15 PM

Bo Knows 2000 yard runs.

Posted by: SBG at October 18, 2006 6:59 PM

That's Tecmo SUPER Bowl, which IMHO, still remains the all-around best football video game. Since this version kept season stats, I would run backwards with Marcus Allen to set up longer runs for Bo. For a while, I can average 800 yards a game with him, but the competition gets really tough later in the season, and especially in the playoffs. Pick a bad team (Patriots? Colts?) and you've got a good challenge on your hands.

Tommy Kramer was in the original Tecmo Bowl, but was replaced by Wade Wilson and Rich Gannon in TSB.

Posted by: spycake at October 29, 2006 12:21 PM