< Favorite Video Games of My Childhood: VI | Main | Favorite Video Games of My Childhood: VIII >

Favorite Video Games of My Childhood: VII

Metroid

metroid.jpg

Note the outfit Samus is wearing in the picture. Where were you when you found out Samus is a girl? To my generation, it is a question as meaningful as, "Where were you when the Challenger exploded?" I found out playing the game. The first time I defeated the game, Samus's takes off her helmet and I wondered, "Could Samus be a girl?" The next time I defeated the game I sat there with the controller trembling in my hands, "Samus is wearing a swimming suit? Oh the humanity!" And then I thought, "Well, that is pretty cool."

I can still remember the annoying music, the maddening mazes, the neccesity of having the Nintendo Power magazine with the map of the complex on the planet Zebes close by. Ah ... the simplicity of youth.

Posted by snackeru at October 18, 2006 2:15 PM

JUSTIN BAILEY, my friend. Put that in as your saved game code and you start off with the girl. Ah, the memories...

Posted by: Tim R. at October 18, 2006 2:33 PM

I have to admit, I never really liked Metroid. I'm in the minority.

I'm just waiting for the Gauntlet and Rastan postings...

Posted by: bjhess at October 18, 2006 4:18 PM

Gauntlet
Rastan

Posted by: bjhess at October 18, 2006 6:09 PM

Note: I just placed the ever-evil comment with links, so it is awaiting approval.

Posted by: bjhess at October 18, 2006 6:20 PM