< Somebody stop me | Main | Links of the day >

Just got back from Nashville

Sorry for my extended silence everyone, but I've been away (and preparing for) at a conference in Nashville. I just got back late last night. If you have never been to Nashville, let me tell you it is a beautiful city. In fact, I loved it. It has a great vibe. More about that later, but for now, please enjoy this picture I took at the Country Music Hall of Fame of a poster for a Johnny Cash show here in Minneapolis. In fact, you can even buy it.

cash.jpg

Lastly, since I just spent some time in the South, I will leave you with an expert from the hilarious A Confederacy of Dunces, the Pulitzer prize winning, classic novel of the South. In this excerpt, Ignatius J. Reilly is explaining to a denizen of New Orleans how he can better his life through reading:

"Then you must begin a reading program immediately so that you may understand the crises of our age," Ignatius said solemnly. "Begin with the late Romans, including Boethius, of course. Then you should dip rather extensively into early Medieval. You may skip the Renaissance and the Enlightenment. That is mostly dangerous propaganda. Now that I think of it, you had better skip the Romantics and the Victorians, too. For the contemporary period, you should study some collected comic books ... I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman."

That book is hilarious.

Posted by snackeru at October 30, 2006 8:00 AM

As someone who has (literally) spent a small fortune collecting Batman comic books, I also "rather respect Batman." Sounds like a good book; I'll have to get to it next. Sounds like you had fun in Nashville. How was the Grand Ol Opry?

Skol Vikings!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at October 30, 2006 9:37 AM

Hey Shane, have to agree with you on Confederacy of Dunces, that was on my summer reading list and it was absolutely hilarious. Do you have any other recommendations along the same lines?

Posted by: Tim at October 31, 2006 9:30 AM

Well, LibraryThing recommends a few other books:

http://www.librarything.com/work/2285

But I can't think of anything that is like this one. Have you read Life of Pi yet? The atheist in you should appreciate the ending.

Posted by: Shane at November 1, 2006 10:13 AM

Thank you for the kind words about Nashville. I love it here. It's a very homey kind of city. :)

Posted by: Nashville Tennessee Gift Basket Lady at November 11, 2008 5:02 PM