< The Backlash continues ... | Main | Overheard at Great Clips >

Fire Mason? Fire Childress ...

• Ugh. Have the Vikings ever been so boring? It is like watching paint dry. And this is coming from a guy who has watched the Vikings for 30 years. Our quarterback can't throw more than 30 yards, we don't have any receivers for him to throw to, our offensive line doesn't give him enough time to find these mythical receivers, and our running game is so stale that it forces us into 3rd and long situations where our offensive line can't protect our quarterback so that he doesn't have any time to find our sucky receivers. Have I missed anything?

Oh yeah, now that the Patriots have exposed our sketchy pass defense (especially up the middle) we can look forward to Joey Harrington carving us up and throwing for 300 yards. Ugh!

I can handle losing. Heck, I'm a Vikings fan. But for goodness sake please try to entertain me. Childress has built the most boring team on earth. I say bench Brad Johnson and lets start the Tavaris Jackson experiment. What do we have to lose? This is not a playoff team and he'll be starting next year anyway. Who is with me?

• The best part of the game was having Cheesehead Craig over to my house to enjoy some Viking hospitality. As many of you know, Cheesehead Craig is my neighbor and he also happens to bleed green and gold. As is tradition, he comes to my house for the Vikes/Pack game at the Dome, and I go to his house for the Vikes/Pack game at Lambeau.

Anyway, Cheesehead Craig came over and we ate in grand fashion. Between the two of us we had:

5 Brats
8 cans of Pepsi and Mountain Dew Code Red
8 Twizzler Pull and Peels
1 11 oz. bag of Old Dutch Potato Chips
8 100 Grand mini candy bars
60 Three Meat/Supreme Totinos Pizza Rolls

I am so stuffed I could puke. I feel sick. Watching the Vikings pathetic attempts at "football" didn't help either. And to top it all off, Cheesehead Craig was dancing around all game like a fairy who just had pixie dust sprinkled all over him. It was disgusting. Stupid Vikings ...

• Well, now that I have exposed my complete lack of football knowledge, let's talk about something I think I actually know about: stadiums in Minnesota. Or at least I thought I did. In the last entry on this humble blog I wrote that Margaret Anderson Kelliher was the only Minneapolis legislator that voted for the Twins stadium last May. Freealonzo immediately corrected me and said that Paul Thissen also voted in favor. So, I corrected the entry. Then, late Saturday night I got another comment that went something like this:

Actually, there were four Mpls legislators who voted for the ballpark: Margaret AK and Paul Thissen in the house, and Wes Skoglund and me in the senate. Wes retired, and the other three of us came through handily: Margaret was 80%, Paul 75% and I had 79%.

That comment was from Linda Higgins, the esteemed senator from District 58 - Minneapolis. Thank you, Linda, for the comment and thanks again for someone correcting my shoddy, slapdash writing. So, just to recap, there were 4 (four) Minneapolis legislators that voted in favor of the Twins stadium. Obviously, in my original post I was referring more to the House of Representatives, but my writing didn't reflect that very well. Needless to say, I'm not even going to attempt to count up the St. Paul legislators that voted in favor of the plan.

In addition, what I find kind of amusing about a state senator writing to correct me and take credit for the ballpark is the fact that I had the hardest time getting both senators and representatives to respond to me when I was writing them before the ballpark was approved. No one, besides those that were against the plan, would fess up to me concerning their real feelings about the ballpark. Now I've got senators coming out of the woodwork and lining up to take credit! Well, OK ... just one senator. But still! I feel like I am being blindsided! Or am I still feeling the affects of the Vikes/Pack game I just witnessed? I am so disoriented!

• Finally, I was listening to Sid and Dave this morning on Washburn-Crosby Co. radio when Sid said something that made my blood chill. Sid said that he was speaking with Zygi this week who said to him something like, "The biggest mistake I ever made was saying I would never move the Vikings after I bought the team." That is like a dagger to my heart.

You know what that means? By 2011 (probably before) Zygi will start hinting that he will move the team without a new stadium. I think it is a guarantee at this point. On the bright side it may finally cause something to get done, but on the other hand it will also give me a fricken' ulcer.

People, by my estimation we are about 6-8 years away from a new stadium for the Vikings even being approved. The Vikings lease runs until 2011 and the state legislature really doesn't want to talk about stadiums right now. They are sick of it. In 2010 or 2011 Zygi will finally drop the hammer and start making threats and the legislature will start dinking around with various proposals. This will appease Zygi just enough to keep going back year after year (ala the Twins) until something finally gets approved. My guess is in 2013 we will finally have a plan.

Or Zygi can do the unthinkable. He can partner with Minneapolis for infrastructure and build his own stadium now for half of what he will spend in 2013. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that Zygi didn't get to be as rich as he is without getting what he wants.

In other words, we've got about three years to relax before Zygi starts to really tick us all off. So, let's try and enjoy them. Oh wait ... the Vikings stink. Sigh.

Posted by snackeru at November 12, 2006 4:54 PM

Gee, I didn't mean to discombobulate you! I just try to correct wrong information on occasion. Sorry.

I also was on the conference committee that hammered out the details of the final bill.

Maybe I'm feeling left out???

linda

Posted by: linda higgins at November 12, 2006 7:44 PM

Linda! No need to apologize! I was just being sarcastic. I appreciate you setting me straight. Thanks for reading, and please, keep setting me straight! Especially if you have any insight into what will happen with the Vikings. Do I have it right, or are you hearing anything to the contrary? Let us know!

Posted by: Shane at November 12, 2006 8:43 PM

By the way, Linda, from the bottom of my heart I thank you for your work on the Twins ballpark. Thank you, thank you, thank you for getting this monkey off of our backs!

I didn't mean to leave you out! Please know that I appreciate all you have done to make this a reality.

Posted by: Shane at November 12, 2006 9:17 PM

Senator Higgens, did you see what Shane ate today? My God, I'm surprised he can type, much less put words into cogent sentences.

It's kind of freaky realizing that our state legislaters are reading this. Who knows, maybe Representative Brod will find out the "high esteem" I hold for her (and I usually vote D!)

Posted by: freealonzo at November 12, 2006 9:51 PM

"But still! I feel like I am being blindsided! Or am I still feeling the affects of the Vikes/Pack game I just witnessed? I am so disoriented!"

Shane - that's the Totinos talking! You're going to be like Hunter S. Thompson tonight, swatting at imaginary pink bats!

Posted by: chapman at November 12, 2006 9:54 PM

I'm worried that the Vikes will decide to start the Brooks Bollinger era before the TJ era. With the pass defense, what amazes me is that the national media actually knew the Vikes had a suspect pass defense before the Patriots whapped them.

On the menu?

0 Beers

Posted by: bjhess at November 12, 2006 10:29 PM

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with the Vikings that can't be solved by handing a pay raise to Brad Johnson. /snark

Posted by: SBG at November 13, 2006 7:49 AM

Glad I could entertain you Shane!

Best part of the game was near the end when Shane was too busy looking at a home decorating magazine to pick out some new curtains rather than watch the game. That is the level of disgust that I love to see from Vikes fans! :)

How 'bout them Packers!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at November 13, 2006 8:29 AM

What a day to travel to Lambeau! Ever been there? What a team to choose to support. Why put your fans through this?????? I have never had to hang my head so low - we ducked out with 8 minutes left to hide before the crowds converged on the streets.

I have never been to a game where Vikings fans were removing their purple and gold until Sunday.

It was sad seeing Johnson sitting on the bench during the Dallas game, especially after this whooping!

Ashamed to be a Vikes supporter with a coach like this.

Looking forward to good news at the firing Childress press converence today. Parcells, Theis (with the staff budget of Childress), Cower or Schottenheimer.

Discount Homes: danacasey.com / danacasey.info

Posted by: Discount Homes at November 12, 2007 10:32 AM

Remember personal info?