< Being Thankful | Main | In the Christmas Spirit >

Something to get behind

If you've been watching the Vikings you probably realize by now that this year is going to be another one of "those years." A year where the team is mediocre at best, and if they do by some miracle make the playoffs they will either make an early exit or break our hearts in spectacular fashion. As the tag line of The Ragnarok says, "It ain't easy being a Vikings fan."

What is a Vikings fan to do then? How can we salvage this year, and actually be able to possibly look back on this year as a year of accomplishment, no matter how small? Well, there is something. There is a crusade that we can all get behind. As a little background, I'd like to dig back into the archives and reprint something I wrote on May 26, 2005 after Zygi Wilf bought the team:

Another note to Zygi: for the love of all that is holy stop playing "Welcome to the Jungle." Just stop! My ears can no longer take the bleeding induced by this overrated song. Again, the Vikings need a song that maybe hearkens back to the real Vikings. (The Immigrant Song) A song that rocks and makes sense from the standpoint of "From the fury of the Norsemen, O Lord, save us!" (The Immigrant Song) A song that the Twins already use! The Twins!!! To recap: "Welcome to the Jungle" OUT; "The Immigrant Song" IN. Let's make it happen, Zygi.

Unfortunately for all of us, "Welcome to the Jungle" is still being played in the Metrodome. This is just mind boggling considering what a perfect song "The Immigrant Song" is for Vikings games. Well, it seems I am not alone in my thinking on this issue. In fact, there is a man out there that is pretty much singly handedly making this his crusade. According to MPR:

A Duluth man is on a quest to change the music the Minnesota Vikings play in the Metrodome before kicking the football. Andy Saur says the Vikings should be playing a Led Zeppelin song rather than the one they use by Guns N' Roses. His efforts have gotten nationwide media attention, but he admits he's still in for a long struggle.

That man is named Andy Saur, and we all owe him a debt of gratitude for trying to rid the Metrodome of all things G'n'R. Thank you Andy! In fact, not only does he talk about it, he has developed an entire web site to discuss this important issue. It is called Vikings Kickoff.com. And not only that, he has also put together an online petition which I hope you will consider signing immediately.

This is a serious issue people. We can no longer sit idly by and let Guns and Roses be played with impunity whilst such a superior song is available and clearly more appropriate. Besides, what else have we got to do as Vikings fans this year? Cheer Brad Johnson on to the Super Bowl? Pfft. Together, let's work for something we can all be proud of. Let's make "The Immigrant Song" the song of the Minnesota Vikings.

• On another note, can anyone explain to me why Randy Foye isn't starting and playing at least 30 minutes every game? What does he have to do, prove two games in a row in the fourth quarter that he is one of the best players on the court? Oh wait, he's already done that. Is Dwayne Casey another Dan Monson? Is he clueless or something?

Posted by snackeru at November 27, 2006 9:34 PM

Signed! Number 668, exactly 100 after Shane.

You know I always get nervous when Greet Machine discusses the NBA as previous posts haven't been kind. However I have to reluctantly agree with playing Randy Foye. The T-Wolves are going nowhere, at least let them be entertaining.

Anyone up for the Roundball Gophers-SDSU tilt next Thursday?

Posted by: Freealonzo at November 28, 2006 9:04 AM

I'm right behind freealonzo...

Posted by: Mark at November 28, 2006 4:54 PM

Did anyone else notice that literally days after Greet Machine started to turn its focus on the Vikings stadium, all of a sudden Anoka County is out of the picture and the Dome site is the most likely place for a new Vikings stadium.

Shane blogs about the Immigrant Song, suddenly there's an on-line petition. Probably a Channel 4 news story next.

Who ever thought the Twins would get a new stadium? Who thought the T-wolves would ever trade Wally? Who thought that Clap Your Hands and Say Ya would ever put out a good album? I think I detect a thread here.

What's next after the Vikings stadium? I want to make sure I'm out of the way of the Greet Machine.

Posted by: Freealonzo at November 29, 2006 7:36 AM