< August 2006 | Main | October 2006 >

Gulag Orkestar

gulag.jpg

I like this album a lot.

Posted by snackeru at 7:32 AM | Comments (1)

Krinkstache

krinkstache.jpg

Phil Krinkie, with Tom Selleck's moustache. A vast improvement.

Posted by snackeru at 2:00 PM

Walking in Memphis

The song "Walking in Memphis" came out when I was in high school.

I hated this song with a burning passion.

After hearing the song on our favorite radio station one night, my friends and I decided to call the station to voice our displeasure.

We must have called the station 50 times telling the DJ each time, "Please don't play 'Walking in Memphis' ever again."

On the 51st call, the DJ cried out in a voice of anguish, "For the love of all that is holy, please stop calling! I promise to never play that song again!"

Mission accomplished.

The people of Norfolk, VA have yet to thank me.

Posted by snackeru at 12:14 PM | Comments (1)

Dr. Pepper vs. Mr. Pibb

Dr. Pepper (actually Dr Pepper without the period) was first served in 1885 at Morrison's Old Corner Drug Store in Waco, TX. Before moving to Texas, Mr. Morrison had lived in Virginia, where rumor has it he knew a real "Dr. Pepper" and may have been in love with his daughter. The drink was created by Charles Alderton, an employee at Morrison's.

Mr. Pibb, now known as Pibb Xtra, is not named after a real person and was created in 1972 to compete against Dr Pepper. Supposedly it has a hint of root beer and chocolate soda flavor not found in Dr Pepper, and the newer Pibb Xtra may be spicier with more cinnamon and cherry flavor.

And as we all know "Mr PiBB plus Red Vines equals 'crazy delicious.'"

Posted by snackeru at 7:16 AM | Comments (1)

A-Team

In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit.

These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground.

Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...

The A-Team.

Posted by snackeru at 7:11 AM

Morons

Vizzini: I can't compete with you physically, and you're no match for my brains.

Man in black: You're that smart?

Vizzini: Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?

Man in black: Yes.

Vizzini: Morons.

Posted by snackeru at 6:06 PM

Present for Chicago

Here ya go Chicago. Nice and pretty with a bow on top.

gift.gif

Posted by snackeru at 4:11 PM

Gold Medal Flour

guthgold.jpg

The Gold Medal Flour sign as seen through a small window in the new Guthrie Theater.

This weekend my two boys and I walked all over the St. Anthony Falls area. I'll be posting some more pictures of this area during the next week.

By the way, if you ever get a chance just to walk through the new Guthrie, it is well worth it. While I wish the Twins stadium would have been built there, at least it wasn't another office building or apartment complex.

Posted by snackeru at 8:09 PM | Comments (3)

Links of the day

The Risk Pool: What’s behind Ireland’s economic miracle—and G.M.’s financial crisis?

"Under the circumstances, one of the great mysteries of contemporary American politics is why [GM C.E.O Rick] Wagoner isn’t the nation’s leading proponent of universal health care and expanded social welfare."

Dealer's Choice

Another reason GM is faltering. More-short sighted thinking. Man, I'm going to have to subscribe to the New Yorker, I think. Good stuff in this magazine.

AOL Search Logs Search

If you didn't hear (and I'd be surprised if you didn't) a while back AOL willingly released a couple months of random (and seemingly) anonymous search engine data from AOL Search. This proved to be a huge mistake as some of the search data proved so unique that some people were in fact identified. Oops.

The link above details the searches people performed with each user given, again, a seemingly anonymous ID number. You can search for a keyword, or search by user ID. Take, for example, user ID 711391:

Over the course of a couple of months, user 711391 searched for "mansfield first assembly," "probation officer dan myers," "how do you break off an affair," "why do parents abuse their children," "canyon gate at northpointe tomball texas," "how do you get over an affair that was a mistake," "pictures of sluts," "symptoms of strep throat," "christian poems," "salem lutheran church tomball tx" and so much more, a lot of which I don't want to put into print here.

So, we have a person that may live in Mansfield or Tomball, Texas, who may know a probation officer named "Dan Myers," who may have recently had an affair, who may have been a victim of child abuse, who might like online porn, who maybe recently had strep throat, and who might be a Christian. And this is just a small set of example searches performed by this user, or set of users. How hard would it be to figure out who this person is? Not very, I would wager, if you really put your mind to it.

What a royal screw up for AOL. And to think they were already reeling...

Sufjan Stevens live on "Morning Becomes Eclectic" with Nick Harcourt

I know, I know ... I have linked to something about Sufjan Stevens before. And I know some of you (cough * freealonzo * cough) don't like the music of Sufjan Stevens. But I would wager you are in the minority. This is a link to a video from the show "Morning Becomes Eclectic" from KCRW out of Santa Monica College in California. If you like the music of Sufjan Stevens, this video is 39 minutes of musical bliss. Plus, according to a part of this Wikipedia article Minnesota may be on his short list for states to tackle.

Disowning Conservative Politics, Evangelical Pastor Rattles Flock

“More and more people are saying this has gone too far — the dominance of the evangelical identity by the religious right,? Mr. McLaren said. “You cannot say the word ‘Jesus’ in 2006 without having an awful lot of baggage going along with it. You can’t say the word ‘Christian,’ and you certainly can’t say the word ‘evangelical’ without it now raising connotations and a certain cringe factor in people.

“Because people think, ‘Oh no, what is going to come next is homosexual bashing, or pro-war rhetoric, or complaining about ‘activist judges.’ ?

I don't care who you are, this is a problem. Thank the Lord pastors like Greg Boyd, Randall Balmer, Jim Wallis, Tony Campolo, and Rick Warren are trying to bring the message back to Jesus and His message.

You may also know that the above New York Times article prompted our friend Nick Coleman to write his own article about this topic. This prompted me to say, "Even a pig finds a cherry every now and again."

That's it for now. Thanks for stopping by.

Posted by snackeru at 2:24 PM | Comments (5)

Vikings stadium vision

vision.jpg

Idea stolen from Mr. Cheer or Die.

Posted by snackeru at 12:09 PM | Comments (6)

Miscellaneous Musings

So, my wife and I were watching the Food Network a couple of nights ago when one of my wife's favorite shows came on, Paula's Home Cooking. Paula is a southern belle with a deep dixie accent and I was immediately drawn in to the program. Usually I don't watch cooking shows at all, but the combination of her accent and what she was actually cooking were enough to retain my interest.

She was cooking what she called "Cheesy Ham and Banana Casserole." Yes, ham and banana. It is an amazing concoction that not only includes ham and bananas, but also cream and eggs, potato chips, white bread, bacon, and cheese. As she cooked this I couldn't help my desire to actually try this unique combination of flavors. So, my wife cooked it last night:

Cheesy Ham and Banana Casserole

What do you think? Looks good? Well, if you are interested, I found the recipe on the Food Network site:

Butter
12 slices white bread
8 large slices deli ham
4 bananas, sliced on the bias
2 cups shredded Cheddar
2 cups crushed potato chips
6 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Butter a 9 by 13 glass baking dish. Butter both sides of the bread and layer 6 of them into the bottom of the baking dish, overlapping them as necessary but keep them even. Layer the slices of ham on top of the bread and then the bananas, 6 more slices of bread, then the cheese, potato chips, and bacon. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, cream, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Pour this over the casserole almost to the top. Bake for 45 minutes until brown and bubbly. Cut into squares and remove with a spatula, like lasagna.

And furthermore, the dish was actually pretty good. The bananas added a little unexpected kick to the taste. My kids seemed to like it too:

Cheesy Ham and Banana Casserole

I was watching ESPN last Sunday morning when a very interesting story came on about Stephon Marbury. If you haven't heard, Stephon launched his own shoe line this summer called "Starbury." The show, "Outside the Lines," was talking to Stephon about his new shoe and the decision that went behind its very low price:

$14.98 a pair.

Yes, Stephon is selling his shoe for the phenomenal price of $14.98 a pair! And there are a bunch of shoes to choose from, all with the same price. According to Stephon, he wanted kids to be able to not only buy his sneakers, but do so with their own money. You often hear athletes make bold statements that it is "all about the kids," and usually these statements prove hollow. In this case, however, I honestly believe Stephon when he says this is all about the kids. $14.98 a pair is so cheap that anyone can buy these shoes, and people are buying them like crazy.

After seeing this show I was overcome with the feeling that I had to have a pair of these shoes. How do they look? Are they comfortable? Could I play basketball in them? Will they last? Do they feel cheap? I had to find out.

So, that afternoon Cheesehead Craig and I went out to Steve and Barry's, the only store that carries them, at Brookdale Mall. If you haven't heard of Steve and Barry's I suggest you make a trek out to this amazing store to see for yourself what a cool place this is. Besides the Starbury line of merchandise, everything in the store is $6.98. You want a pair of flip-flops? $6.98. You want a new Miami Hurricane jacket? $6.98. Craig and I were blown away.

The selection of Starbury's was pretty slim due to their popularity, but Craig and I both managed to find size 12s that we sat down and tried on. Craig didn't like the feel of the shoe, but I was of the opinion that it didn't even matter. I was going to buy them regardless. So, I did. I am now the proud owner of the Starbury One all for the price of $14.98:

Starbury

Starbury

I have worn them off and on for a week now. They are comfortable and stylish, and my street cred here at the U of M Libraries has gone through the roof. I am impressed with their quality, and I think they will hold up well.

Only time will tell, though. So, I'm going to wear them for a while and report back what I think. So far they appear to be a good shoe at a great price.

Anyone else have the Starburys? What do you think?

Oh yeah, and Go Twins!

Posted by snackeru at 8:12 AM | Comments (2)