< OK. I feel better now. | Main | The other side of the story? >

Another bet lost, another bet made

Hey everyone. No stadium news today. I did get a call from a big-wig at Land Partners II, probably to chew me out, but I was unable to talk with him. Maybe tomorrow.

What I did want to mention to you today is my neighbor and good friend Cheesehead Craig has written a post that documents my humiliation after losing yet another bet concerning the Vikings and the Packers. As Cheesehead mentions this brings my betting record with him to 0-5. That's right. I have yet to beat him in any kind of wager.

First we had the horror of the Brew-Ha-Ha in the Backyard where the Brewers beat the Twins 2 games to 1. Mowing Craig's lawn was not my idea of fun.

Based on that humiliation I bet Craig the Vikings would win the NFC North in 2004. Well, shock of all shocks, that didn't work. To make things even worse, the Packers won the division. I ended up treating Criag to a delicious cheeseburger at Fuddruckers. Moss did moon the Pack at Lambeau that year though so I think I got the better deal.

The next summer, Craig and I embarked on our own version of the Wisconsin-Minnesota Border Battle which we dubbed the Backyard Border Battle. We had a number of events, but again Craig came out on top in the overall standings. Craig beat me in the backyard home run derby, croquet, Stratego (man was that ever painful), and mini-golf. I won at Horse, Trivial Pursuit, and bowling, but it wasn't enough. I treated Craig to a chocolate malt at Snuffy's.

It was a while before I ever bet Craig again, but Tarvaris Jackson's first start and first game at Lambeau got my competitive juices flowing. So, of course I made the ill-conceived bet that Tarvaris would win his first start at Lambeau, in December, in what might be Favre's last game at home. What the heck was I thinking? Needless to say I lost and was forced to buy Craig a cheeseburger at Fuddruckers and shovel his driveway after the first snow! I must ask the question, why do the Fates hate me so? The gods have made me their plaything and Cheesehead Craig the instrument of their amusement.

Quite honestly I don't even remember the 5th bet I lost to CC but it must have been so horrible that I've blocked it from my memory. Not to mention this is the same guy that put a "No Stadium Funding" sign in my front window while I was on vacation in South Dakota one year! Seriously I would be crying if this wasn't so comical at this point.

So, where does that leave us? Well, I have one more chance at retribution. CC and I have decided to once again travel to Miller Park in Milwaukee for the annual Twins-Brewers series. This is my chance. The Twins are the superior team, right? Mauer and Morneau and Santana, right? Heck, Boof even beat them last year. This is a bet that I can't lose ... right (please)? Therefore, I challenge Cheesehead Craig to another bet, that is if he is man enough to take it. The Twins will win the series.

What say you, Cheesehead Craig? Name your terms!

Posted by snackeru at January 8, 2007 9:21 PM

If Cheesy was a real man, he'd bet you on the outcome of this weekend's Gophers-BADgers mens hockey tilt. It's being played in Madison so Bucky should have a slight advantage.

When are the Twins in Milwaukee, I'd like to plan a trip to Miller Park myself.

Posted by: Freealonzo at January 9, 2007 8:16 AM

The trouble is, Free, if I make a bet with CC on the Gophers-Badgers hockey game this weekend the Gophers are almost assured of losing. It is that simple. So, I'm not so sure CC has anything to really worry about by making that bet.

MLB hasn't released its schedule yet, but the Twins-Brewers series has typically been around Father's Day.

Posted by: Shane at January 9, 2007 9:07 AM

The 5th bet was the Lakers/Detroit finals from 2 years ago. I took Detroit and you had the Lakers. I believe it was for a Chipotle burrito if memory and stomach serve me right.

You want to bet on the Brewers/Twins series at Miller? Fine. The schedule has been released and it's May 18-20. So the bet would be who wins that 3 game series, and I naturally will take the Brewers.

Let's see, what could the wager be? Hmmmm....
Mowed my lawn? Check.
Shoveled my driveway? Check.
Bought me lunch, dinner and dessert (the malt)? Check. Check. Check.

Oh, I have it! The loser has to wash and vacumn the winner's van. No assistance from anyone.

Those are the terms. Although, I think you need to clear this bet with your wife first. She's getting pretty upset with you losing to me so much. After the last bet, she wanted me to promise not to bet against you any more as the shame was becoming too great.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 9, 2007 9:35 AM

If there is such a thing as a safe bet in this series, it would be the Twins versus the Brewers. This would especially be the case if Santana is scheduled to pitch in the series. Of course, if the Twins lose the series, the rest of us will know for sure that you, Shane, are complete bad luck!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at January 9, 2007 9:49 AM

Could the Twins sell the naming rights this early to help pay for land acquisition?

Just a thought.....

Posted by: MOJO at January 9, 2007 12:02 PM

A few comments...

I still think Goldy stomping Bucky this weekend is the better bet and if Shane's bad luck gets rubbed off on the Gophs, no big deal as they have a nice lead going into the 2nd half of the season.

Nice 'stache Cheesehead!

Stadium naming rights. Most naming rights are paid off on a yearly basis, probably not starting until the ballpark is complete. I am guessing that the Twins have the naming rights proceeds included as part of their operating budget. Maybe they could sell the land naming rights separately.... such as Best Buy Ballpark at Medtronic Fields.

Posted by: Freealonzo at January 9, 2007 1:24 PM

Shaaaaaaaanne?
Where are yoooouuuu?

Nothing but a lot of talk and a book.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 9, 2007 3:01 PM

What, you think I just sit around all day waiting for you to respond to me? Aren't we a little full of ourselves today ...

And I proudly have a "book"! Nothing wrong with that, you illiterate Cheesehead.

Yes, I accept your wager, but once again, I must have a cheeseburger! I have fed you like a king and I can't imagine winning a bet and not getting a little food out of the deal. Do you accept my addendum?

MOJO -- the Twins have the money regardless of naming rights. This is a one time cost that they could easily write a check for, if they want a new stadium desperately enough. We'll see ...

Posted by: Shane at January 9, 2007 3:38 PM

Hey, YOU were the one who called ME out. I responded and you said nothing.

Again with the cheeseburger. *sigh*

Would you accept a burrito instead? The loser buys the winner the burrito, delivers it to his house, then the winner gets to eat said burrito while the loser washes the van. Or would a pizza be better for you? Just a thought to change things up.

BTW, your preview function is not working.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 9, 2007 4:03 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the Twins getting the land for the ballpark. The current owners are trying to maximize their profits, but if they get too greedy, just the threat of eminent domain (especially considering recent court rulings expanding its scope to private enterprise 'for the public good') would probably get them to be more reasonable.

Ditto here on the preview function.

Posted by: twayn at January 9, 2007 4:26 PM

A burrito it is! I look forward to eating it while you slave away Cheesehead!

And I've got some comments about your comment twayn. It will have to wait until later though...

Posted by: Shane at January 10, 2007 8:53 AM

Oh dear, betting against the Brewers when they're starting to gel. They're shaping up to be THE feared team in the league with the talent they've homegrown, so I wouldn't put anything past those scrappy guys. Plus, they've got Counsell now, and you know that batting stance of his will hypnotize Santana into walking him...

Posted by: Vicki at January 10, 2007 11:47 AM

Posted by: Vicki at January 10, 2007 11:48 AM

My pro-Brewers comments are not going through! This is a conspiracy, I tells ya!

OMFG the Brewers have Craig Counsell!! National League teams you might as well pack it in now, you have no chance... move over 27 Yankees here come the 07 Brew Crew... Start buying stock in Chipotle Shane, looks like you'll be buying another burrito, Craig Counsell is suiting up for the Milwaukee Nine!

Posted by: Freealonzo at January 10, 2007 4:16 PM

Mock my Brewers all you like Free, we'll see what happens come the regular season.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 11, 2007 9:00 AM

You mean Craig Counsell, he of the career .260 average and 31 home runs in 10 seasons?

Whoo, I'm shaking...Lew Ford has a career .275 average and 29 home runs in only four seasons...'Nuff said?

Posted by: Mark at January 11, 2007 11:53 AM

I visit your site often, but haven't commented too much. Today I emailed the following letter to the editor of the Star Tribune: (Keep up the great work!)

The letter written by Bruce Lambrecht and Richard Pogin, President and CFO of Investment Management, in these pages on January 6th was a valiant attempt to dodge the real issue, but they came up short. This company, for years, has been holding meetings, sending out promotional material called "Pitch Packets", and encouraging people like me to send letters to legislators, all to achieve their stated Mission of building a Twins ballpark. According to their website, www.MNTwinsville.com, and the various materials they mailed to me and encouraged me to help distribute, their Mission is "To build a world class, major league outdoor ballpark in Minneapolis." They make it clear that they have a "willing seller", that their land is available for this purpose, and even go so far as to mention that the “seller� will finance the sale of the land in such a way as to assist in financing the overall project. In recent weeks, they have obviously forgotten their Mission, or are no longer holding to it, as they now haggle over a few million dollars in land price, which threatens to scuttle their Mission. I feel stupid, because I was duped into thinking they cared more about their Mission than about a relatively small amount of money. But, they appear ready to allow this to stand in the way of their Mission. I am certain these are reasonable and honorable men. If they truly care about building a Twins stadium and completing their stated Mission, they will discontinue this ridiculous wrangling and do what people like me have done: make a sacrifice to do something for the greater good of Minnesota.

Posted by: Derek Robertson at January 12, 2007 12:07 PM

Wow! Great letter!

Posted by: Mark at January 12, 2007 2:25 PM