< The Taxes Committee is to blame | Main | Real men Wii standing up >

Victory at the Pinewood Derby!

The car I built ... er ... I mean my son built won first place at the Pinewood Derby today! Woo hoo!

anderspine.jpg

Posted by snackeru at January 27, 2007 9:12 PM

Congratulations...our 3 boys entered more than their share of cars in those Derbys over the years...I, er, they probably built close to 15 of them.

We never won the whole shebang, closest was 3 rd place one year. We won 'Best of Show' a few times.

I ran our Pack's Derby for years...even when my kids left scouting, they still have me back every year to run teh Derby. I think I am the only guy who has experience with a double elimination tournament bracket.

Posted by: John B at January 28, 2007 5:14 AM

Way to go, Shane, er.. I mean Shane's son!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at January 28, 2007 1:32 PM

John B. thanks for the comment! I am humbled before your Pinewood Derby prowess! I love the Pinewood Derby. It is, at least for me, the epitome of Cub Scouts. I can't imaging being a boy and never participating in the Pinewood.

And Curt, I need to respond to your last email! I'm working on it!

Posted by: Shane at January 28, 2007 9:36 PM

Congrats, I, er Charlie had a winning car his second year in scouts. We made a hard push to win it when he was a Webelos 2, but came in 3rd to some kid who obviously had his Matt Kenseth on.

I noticed you went with the classic wedge design. Nice. Easy to build, leaves time to work on the axles and wheels, which is the key to winning.

Posted by: Freealonzo at January 29, 2007 9:58 AM

I have two older brothers, so by the time I was competing in the Pinewood Derby, we had years of failure...I mean, experience, to learn from. And it played to my advantage. I never took first place, but I did collect a few 2nd and 3rd place ribbons.

Posted by: twayn at January 29, 2007 12:46 PM