< I can't wait to think about just baseball again | Main | Don't worry about it >

I'm gonna write about whatever I want

• Goodness gracious people, there has been way too much stadium talk around here. In the past I would have "stadium free" weeks where I wouldn't write about stadiums for ... well ... a week. I'm thinking I need to do that again. I'm just flat out sick of thinking about it.

But a lot of people are wondering just when this mystery announcement will come out saying the Twins stadium is back on track. Well, I certainly can't say for sure. But I know deep down in the bottom of my heart this will all work out. You can take that for what it is worth. I still feel good.

• Well, there is a pretty good discussion in the comments of the post below concerning, it would seem, the legality or morality of paying for something you'll never use or don't want. In other words, why should some people have to pay for a stadium they don't want? Let me just say I appreciate the viewpoint of "Stop the Madness." I really do. We need people to push back, especially in this tax happy state.

However, in the three years of writing this blog I have read ever argument against the stadium and I have personally written every argument in favor. Through all of this, I have found that we are not going to change each other's minds. At this point it just isn't going to happen. So, I'm going to make this as clear as I can. I wanted a new stadium. I yelled, I screamed, I whined, and I wrote ... I wrote my legislators and I wrote in this blog. I got what I wanted, and regardless of Pohlad and his billions I did this for ME. I want to watch outdoor baseball. Let's not beat around the bush! Plus, I truly think Hennepin County will be a better place because of it. I'm really quite happy about it, but I can understand why you are upset. Better luck next time.

Speaking of which, Stop the Madness asks "what else can there be? I'm sure you'll come up with something." Indeed! There is a Vikings stadium to build, and it sounds like a lot of work is being done towards that goal already. It won't happen this year, that is for sure, and it probably won't happen next year either. But eventually it will happen. For better or worse, it is inevitable.

• The NCAA tournament started today and I don't think I have ever cared less about it. I don't know what it is. Maybe the fact that the Gophers would not even make the Division II tournament has something to do with it. Or maybe it is because I'm not in college anymore and I have three kids. It is a mystery. If anyone wants to know, I picked Wisconsin, Kansas, Georgetown and Ohio State, with OSU to win it all. If even one of those teams makes it into the Final Four I will be stunned. Oh, and my "cinderella" was Oral Roberts. Yes, Oral Roberts! Luckily it really doesn't matter to me. I did pick VCU over Duke, though. That was a nice surprise.

• You know what I really like? I like Jamba Juice. Quite frankly it is like drinking liquid heroin. I usually get a Strawberries Wild or a Banana Berry. There is a Jamba Juice at the U in the Coffman Memorial Union and I swear they never stop making Jamba Juice. There is a constant line. They must make money hand over fist at that place.

Where does that phrase come from, "hand over fist"? Well, I'm going to tell you. According to the site The Word Detective the phrase originated in shipping with the phrase "hand over hand" as in pulling or grasping a rope. The phrase came to mean "steady progress" and would be used to describe victory or success in a race or really any endeavor that takes some perseverance.

Eventually the phrase would change to "hand over fist" and describe steady progress in making money. Well, as we all know making a lot of money quickly is better than steadily making money and by the early 20th century the phrase changed to mean making tons of money as fast as possible. Now you know.

• You know what else I'm really enjoying? The blog The National Anthem Before a Cubs Game. Some really good writing happening on this blog. I even read his columns about the Wild, and I don't even like professional hockey.

• Heck, I'm on a roll. You know what else I like? I like Mac and Cheese from Noodles. I must eat this arguably bland sounding dish twice a week at least. Noodles has without a doubt the finest Mac and Cheese I have ever had the pleasure of consuming, and I recommend it highly.

• Freealonzo wrote a great post this week discussing The Rock Hall's pick for the Definitive 200 albums of all time. The list is available on a subsite of the Rock and Roll Hall Fame. First of all, thanks to Freealonzo for pointing it out. I love lists, especially lists that attempt to rank rock and roll music. Endless discussion is possible. I can't argue too much with the top 10, although Nirvana's Nevermind might be a little high (as well as Pearl Jam's Ten). The first big problem I see, though, is Santana's Supernatural. How is this OK? It is ranked above Let it Bleed for goodness sake and only on the strength of the supremely annoying chick song "Smooth" by Rob Thomas. This album will not have any staying power. It is a travesty.

Secondly, how the heck did Shania Twain make it into the top 25 of a list by the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame? Not to mention the fact that of all the great country albums that have come out over the years, this is the best one? The most definitive? Johnny Cash must be rolling in his grave.

• Finally, I am part of a leadership institute here at the U of M. As part of this leadership institute we were asked individually what recognized U of M leader we would like to have lunch with. On the list available, I picked three leaders, one of which was Joel Maturi. Well, I will be having lunch with Mr. Maturi at the end of May. I will be sure to ask him about the Gopher basketball head coach search. Is there anything else I should ask him?

• Well, that is about it from me. Be sure to keep it real people!

Posted by snackeru at March 15, 2007 8:31 PM

Shane...Try the Razmatazz and you'll never go back to strawberry again!!!

Posted by: kevin in az at March 15, 2007 10:54 PM

Ask him when the moratorium on the fundraising for a Gophers baseball stadium's going to be lifted. The Gophers deserve to be on campus instead of in the Dome. John Anderson has done a wonderful job with the resources he has been given, which is very little. Siebert's fallen into disrepair. Coach Anderson has said he can fundraise without getting in the way of the football stadium fundraising as well. Molitor, Winfield, Dan Wilson, Steinbach all would give money. Lou Nanne's said he'd donate. They've (Maturi, Bruininks, Board of Regents) dragged it out long enough and given the usual variety of excuses. Try to get him to give a reasonable timetable. Heck, make it your next cause? You've done well on one baseball stadium. Why not two? :)

Posted by: Mylometer at March 16, 2007 1:59 AM

Thanks for the Shout Out Shane! Here's a nice little Jamba Juice insider for you: The day that Jamba Juice opened at Coffman Union it shot up to most sales per square foot in all the Jamba Juices nation-wide. I think it still holds that position.

Posted by: freealonzo at March 16, 2007 10:07 AM

In regards to Mr. Maturi... well, my mother always told me that if you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all. Actually, she never said that, but she should have.

Posted by: spycake at March 16, 2007 10:12 AM

Shane, could you ask Mr. Maturi for his resignation? I'm afraid he's going to screw up hockey and wrestling next if he stays around too long. Thanks.

Posted by: twayn at March 16, 2007 1:23 PM

has anyone heard anything about the ballpark situation? i am starting to get real nervous again about this. i thought mr pohlad was going to pay the difference or that they were going to condemn it or build a parking ramp. i thought after hearing all of that a few days ago that some sort of an announcement would be made by now or at least be on its way. i keep looking on google and yahoo every day for updates and cant find a thing that is new. does anyone have a link for updates? has anybody heard anything at all today or yesterday? i just check in regulary to greet machine every day hoping that shane has a new post or new info on this.

Posted by: victor at March 16, 2007 5:41 PM

Don't be nervous Victor. No news is good news. When they're not talking through the media, it ususally means they're talking to eachother.

Posted by: kevin in az at March 16, 2007 6:05 PM

Ask Maturi what it is going to take to get The General as coach of the U! You could also ask him to lift the stupid moratorium on the U playing teams like UND, which have Indian mascots.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at March 16, 2007 6:48 PM

Well, based on all this feedback I may ask Maturi how he deals with all the criticism! He's gotta have some pretty tough skin by now. I think he gets criticized more than Bruinicks!

Posted by: Shane at March 16, 2007 8:13 PM

So, who's having Corn Beef And Cabbage today? I know I am.

Posted by: RichP at March 17, 2007 12:00 PM

I know that later on tonight I'm going over to a local pub and have some green beer.

Posted by: RichP at March 17, 2007 12:01 PM

Interesting...
Metallica has 4 albums on the list to U2's 3, with the 3rd U2 album barely making the list. Yep, no question on who's made better albums.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at March 19, 2007 9:42 AM