< Wow. This is really surprising. | Main | Stuff I'd like to say >

A wager has been made

As you all know the Yankees of college hockey, the U of M Golden Gophers, will begin their march to the national championship in hockey in Denver tomorrow. Well, if you have read the comments from the last couple of days you know that the illustrious "zooomx" has challenged me to a wager concerning my precious Gophers. It would seem that zooomx is unfortunate enough to be a St. Cloud State Huskies fan. I know, it is hard to believe. Anyway, zooomx has suggested a wager, the winner of which is determined by which team, the Gophers or the Huskies makes it into the tournament further. The winner of the bet will reap these rewards:

How about we take in a Twins game and the loser buys the beer. If I win, you wear a SCSU sweater and post the picture on your site. If you win, I will wear a U of M sweater with a sign "Gophers rule!" which you can also post on your site.

Either way, I will take care of the tickets since I feel I owe you for your work on this issue.

Wow! That is quite a generous wager! In other words, I win no matter what! However, I don't drink beer so might I suggest a root beer float if I win, and a beer for you if (and that is a big if) you win? Is that a fair compromise?

Also, if anyone else would like to join us in this wager you are more than welcome. I'm not quite sure how to include more people in this bet, but I'm sure it is possible somehow.

Unfortunately, and even though I feel pretty confident in myself, I have probably now doomed the Gophers to a first round defeat. I have a horrible betting record. In the 5 years I have known Cheesehead Craig I have never won a bet with him. Ever. This sad fact has been well documented on this site.

Hopefully, and for the sake of the Gophers, my luck is about to change! Thanks for suggesting the wager zooomx! Let the games begin!

Posted by snackeru at March 23, 2007 8:38 AM

Did any of you ever put the power of compound interest on the money you waste away watching grown men play children's games?

It would pay for your kid's college.

I think a debt free college education for your kids is giving them something of greater value than dragging them around to watch the folly of professional "sports".

How about just taking them to High School or College games and banking the difference, or is that being too responsible?

Posted by: mary at March 23, 2007 9:24 AM

Go Gophers! Though I think that with the tough region we are in, I think the Huskies have an easier shot at getting to the frozen four.

Posted by: Moe at March 23, 2007 9:25 AM

What? A wager with zooomx? I'm flabbergasted at this. Wagers with Shane are strictly my domain.

Given that this has nothing to do with the great state of WI, I will allow this. It's obvious Shane has conceded that MN will not be greater than WI, so he has to go pick on a smaller city in-state.

Oh BTW, I went to Fuddruckers last night and the BBQ Chipotle Bacon Cheeseburger was fantastic.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at March 23, 2007 9:30 AM

Mary - some of my fondest memories as a child are of spending time at baseball games with my now-deceased father. My children love to attend Wild and Twins games with me now, and it is priceless to me to see the smile on their faces at these games. It's a great way to spend time with my kids. In addition, my children now play organized sports because of the interest created by the professional teams. They are happy and healthy.

Please don't put value judgements on how I spend my time, and don't tell me what is best for my kids. I will handle that. And they're doing just fine, by the way.

Posted by: Jeff T. at March 23, 2007 9:42 AM

Mary-

Have you considered the value of the compound interest on the money you could earn in the hours you spend banging your head against a wall here?

Over the next few years I'll bet it would pay for any taxes you'll beshelling out for the stadium with enough left over to buy yourself a brand new cookie sheet...

Posted by: tato at March 23, 2007 9:45 AM

Don't kid yourself Mary, few on this blog personally attend more than a handful of sporting events (college or pro) each year. They'd like you to think they're staunch supporters and avid attendees, but they casually listen/watch on TV (when available) just like anybody else.

Nobody in their right mind would spend an 85 degree sunny day watching, let alone attending, a baseball game.

Posted by: STM at March 23, 2007 10:01 AM

CC -- careful. I believe your team is getting ready for next season (sans Elliot and Skille) rather than getting ready for a tournament game. For this season, anyway, Minnesota's superiority over Wisconsin has been established.

My eyes are only on AFA. Get past them, then look to the next team. But I agree -- SCSU has a better shot at getting to the Frozen Four, anyway.

Posted by: The Tube at March 23, 2007 10:03 AM

"Nobody in their right mind would spend an 85 degree sunny day watching, let alone attending, a baseball game."

That's funny, I was just thinking that no one in their right mind would spend as much time as STM does blogging about something they claim to have no interest in!

Posted by: tato at March 23, 2007 10:29 AM

To STM:

I can only speak for myself as to my support for our local sports teams, but here's my track record:

Gopher men's basketball season tickets for three years and football season tickets for two years when I attended the U.

Timberwolves season tickets for four years after I graduated from the U.

Twins season tickets for the past three years and I just renewed my Gopher football season tickets that I started up again last year.

Posted by: Snyder at March 23, 2007 10:30 AM

Goaltending is big in the playoffs and Goepfert is way better than Briggs or Frazee. St Cloud's region is MUCH easier than Minnesota's. Minnesota and North Dakota are arguably the two best teams in the country right now and they would meet in the second round.

GO SIOUX!!!

Posted by: Waldo at March 23, 2007 10:35 AM

Goepfert is better across an entire season, but he looked rattled in the Final Five. He got throttled by UND and lost to the offensively-challenged BADgers. If SCSU is going to have a chance Goepfert needs to be "on."

Posted by: The Tube at March 23, 2007 10:40 AM

The Tube - WI is ahead in the Border Battle this year and in the 7 events left, the Badgers would be favored in 4, the Goophs 2 and one is a toss up. With a 50 point lead, the Badgers should once again prove their superiority.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at March 23, 2007 10:48 AM

Yeah yeah, I know. What is it with you Wisconsin fans and the Border Battle Cup? I didn't even know the thing existed until another Bucky Hockey fan started clinging to that mantle of superiority as soon as the Badgers were eliminated from post-season play. And we won it last year!

I just meant that we won the battle in terms of hockey, even if we may lose the "war."

Posted by: The Tube at March 23, 2007 10:58 AM

True that with hockey. It was a rough season for the Badgers. They lost their top 6 scorers after last season and they simply could not recover. Even though they lose Elliott, they seemingly always find the great goalie and the offense should be better next year.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at March 23, 2007 12:22 PM

Cheesy, Goldy and the Fighting Englestads both lost huge chunks of their roster from last year but were able to re-tool for another run and neither have a Blake Elliot in goal.

Face it, last year was a fluke. Bucky rode a hot goalie and picked up some hardware. They were o.k. the year before and a little less the year after. I'm guessing without Elliot next year it will be a little worse. Sounds like mediocrity to me.

Posted by: Freealonzo at March 23, 2007 1:43 PM

Ho-ly Cross
*clap*clap*clapclapclap*

Ho-ly Cross
*clap*clap*clapclapclap*

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at March 23, 2007 1:52 PM

I assume we need to stretch the word "Cross" to two syllables in that chant?

How would we handle "A-ir For-rce"?

Posted by: spycake at March 23, 2007 2:24 PM

As big a Gopher as I am, I have to give props to Cheesehead Craig for that one, mostly because hockey is lame, anyway.

(That's right, I said it.)

Posted by: Snyder at March 23, 2007 6:12 PM

After 2 periods Maine 4, Huskers 1. SCSU looks like they are sleep walking. Shane, congrats looks like you're gonna win a bet.

Cheesehead, you're always looking backward, I'm looking forward

Posted by: freealonzo at March 23, 2007 7:07 PM

Ballpark impasse solution may be near
County officials said next week'smeeting with Twins might produce a vote.
By Mike Kaszuba, Star Tribune
Last update: March 23, 2007 – 8:21 PM
Printer friendly
E-mail this story
Save to del.icio.us

Ballpark impasse solution may be near

In a move that signals a possible breakthrough, Hennepin County officials said they will meet as early as Wednesday to discuss -- and possibly vote -- on a series of key issues for the stalled new ballpark for the Minnesota Twins.
Friday's announcement came as county officials said a significant development regarding the project might be imminent, and ended a week of conflicting signals from the county and the team over whether construction of the 40,000-seat stadium might be near.

Since the beginning of the year, the $522 million project has been slowed by several complicating factors, including a dispute between the county and the owners of the ballpark site over a sale price.

"We wouldn't be scheduling a meeting if we didn't anticipate that there might be movement," Randy Johnson, the County Board chairman, said late Friday.

Though officials would not disclose details, the announcement indicates that there may be an agreement between the county and the team over how to share in the cost of the stadium site.

The move could also mean that the county, with the team's financial help, could move toward condemnation to gain control of the property and begin construction.

Commissioner Mike Opat, the board's lead stadium negotiator, said that although the meeting was scheduled for Wednesday, it could be delayed until Friday as details are completed. "We're scheduling meetings in the hopes that we have something pretty significant to talk about," Opat said.

The announcement ended a week in which the Twins had indicated that the ballpark impasse was at an end, but Opat had countered by saying such statements were premature.

Jerry Bell, the Twins' chief ballpark negotiator, said he was briefed Friday on the county's move. "I think they're down to a few, I hope, minor details," he said. "I would characterize it as good news."

Mike Kaszuba • 612-673-4388 • mkaszuba@startribune.com

Posted by: victor at March 23, 2007 9:14 PM

that is the kind of stuff i like to read.

Posted by: victor at March 23, 2007 9:15 PM

Wow, that was quick... once again I get suckered in (kind of like my Vikings) and think "maybe this is the year"... oh well, maybe (probably not) Air Force can shock the maroon and gold and make this bet a push.

The good news is if I lose the bet, I will still have a great time watching the Twins and toasting a cold one with my buddy Shane about the new stadium.

Posted by: zooomx at March 23, 2007 10:36 PM

Free, you're the one who brought up last season, not me. You're the one looking backwards. Besides, FORWARD is the motto of the great state of WI.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at March 24, 2007 3:09 PM

Gophers 4 Air Force 3. Remove heart from throat.

Posted by: freealonzo at March 24, 2007 7:21 PM

no kidding....that was a lousy performance until the 3rd period

Posted by: kevin in az at March 24, 2007 8:20 PM

Wild are # 1 in the division.

Posted by: CTM at March 24, 2007 9:34 PM

All seems to be well in my world, the Gophs barely won, the Wild won by a landslide, now being #1 in the division (for now at least), and this little tidbit in Sid's column.

"This could be the week that the Twins and Hennepin County agree to go forward with condemnation procedures on the land in back of the Target Center for the new ballpark. And the Twins will agree to pay the difference between the $13.35 million the county has offered and what the actual price the land turns out to be about a year from now when the condemnation procedures are finished. Look for the new Twins stadium design to be unveiled in the next 10 days."

Now, about Gardy having to much confidence in Silva, while sending Perkins down, that's a Twins' discussion worth discussing. Especially after todays performance.

Posted by: Continue The Madness at March 24, 2007 10:36 PM

Actually, what is really leaving me scratching my head is on why Gardy would put Silva in rotation over Garza after Silva gave up 9 runs in 3 innings.

Posted by: CTM at March 24, 2007 10:41 PM

My dad was at that Twins game today and he said it was worse in person than any box score could ever describe. You'd think Ryan could trade Silva to Cincinnati for a minor leaguer.

Posted by: freealonzo at March 24, 2007 11:25 PM

"Now, about Gardy having to much confidence in Silva, while sending Perkins down, that's a Twins' discussion worth discussing. Especially after todays performance."

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that the stadium issue is not worth discussing, I probably won't be able to breathe a sigh of relief until the first shovel is in the ground, but the tidbit in Sid's column today gives me hope, that I can finally discuss other Twins' issues, mainly on-field issues, like why Gardy has so much confidence in Silva?

Posted by: CTM at March 25, 2007 2:34 PM

Go Sioux!

Posted by: MOJO at March 26, 2007 10:27 AM

Looks like I should have entered the bet on behalf of the Sioux! Of course, that would have completely jinxed them!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at March 26, 2007 11:33 AM

Too bad Gophers lost to the Fighting Englestads. I was going to invite Greet Machiners to my house to watch the Frozen Four semi-final game as the wife and kids were going to be out of town.

Now I'll be foreced to reluctantly root for UND, alone, in my basement.

Posted by: Embrace the Madness at March 26, 2007 1:30 PM

I say we forget the Frozen Four and go see 300 on the Minnesota Zoo IMAX.

My wife and kids will be gone all next week. I need something to do...

Posted by: Shane at March 26, 2007 1:58 PM

Dang, I was hoping we'd win it all this year.

Posted by: CTM at March 26, 2007 9:14 PM