< In case you missed it | Main | The obligatory post about the Twins on Opening Day >

STM's Happy Place

East Dakota

Posted by snackeru at March 28, 2007 7:44 PM

As Johnny Carson would say,

that is some funny, funny, stuff...

Posted by: tato at March 28, 2007 7:58 PM

Please change "North Dakota" to "Dakota." There has been a movement afoot here to drop the "North," as a way of establishing our superiority over South Dakota. This same premise would hold true for "East Dakota."

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at March 28, 2007 8:59 PM

Looks like things are getting postponed....still I am feeling very good about this

From Sid's column

"Hennepin County Commissioner Randy Johnson said a scheduled March 30 meeting to bring the Twins stadium problem to a head has been postponed until April 10 because there are too many details up in the air, including trying to find a solution over what to do with the railroad connected with the stadium.

"We were going to meet on March 30th in a close legal briefing, and a board meeting. I'm in the process of canceling that and rescheduling it to our April 10th meeting," he said.

Johnson said no deal is in place for the acquisition of the land but added: "Oh yes, I'm definitely optimistic. I'm optimistic about this and I'm optimistic about merging the [Minneapolis city and Hennepin County] libraries too, I'm an optimist."

In regard to the problem with the railroad, Johnson said: "Well, in order not to build over the existing tracks, which is a construction challenge, we are working with them to move their tracks, that becomes a question of how much more of a spur line they need and how much of that we should pay for and then the air-rights," Johnson said.

About the negotiations for the land -- with the Pohlad family to pay for the difference if the price comes in higher than the $13.35 million the county has offered -- Johnson said, "I think that's a detail that's pretty well set."

Johnson said he didn't think the start of construction would be delayed. "We're very close," he said"

Posted by: MOJO at March 28, 2007 9:30 PM

This blog would be a cold Omaha without me.

Sypcake's comments and Aarons question from the previous thread not withstanding; As much as you all would like to believe your position affects nothing more and stands for nothing more than your desire for a stadium, it is not possible to separate that issue from your proven favor for higher taxes. That is why I’m here.

This stadium was inextricably linked to increasing taxes to fund private special interests, the moment it was passed. It doesn’t matter the political association of the damning legislatures who contrived a method to impose this tax while maintaining plausible deniability.

You cannot apply a neat policy to the private special interest you want to fund, and then claim surprise when that same policy is abused and exacerbated to fund somebody else’s special interest. What you all did, and what you’re all guilty of, is opening Pandora’s Box with regard to increasing taxes. All I want is accountability. As long as I’m living in one of the highest taxed county’s in one of the highest taxed states, I want results! We’re not getting them, so it’s time to dial back. And just when unrest is reaching uncomfortable levels, the Politico’s toss you a stadium like so much a bone and tell you to go lay by your dish…..and you fell for it! And they knew you would.

Aaron – increased taxes do not equal higher quality of life (unless you’re on welfare). What good is a stadium if you can’t afford to go there?

Posted by: STM at March 28, 2007 9:34 PM

Shartman: Johnson said no deal is in place for the acquisition of the land but added: "Oh yes, I'm definitely optimistic. I'm optimistic about this and I'm optimistic about merging the [Minneapolis city and Hennepin County] libraries too, I'm an optimist."

I don't know, I know a little bit about sarcasm and THAT reads like sarcasm to me......

Posted by: STM at March 28, 2007 9:56 PM

I’m always frustrated with the way politicians phrase their answers.

Comm. Johnson’s reported answer to the question of the Twins/Pohlads paying the difference in cost for the land could have easily been something like “Yes, they’ve agreed to do that? or “No, we’re still discussing it? or “I don’t know?.

But “I think that’s a detail that’s pretty well set? sounds less than clear-cut to my non-political ears.

In fact, all of his answers seemed to indicate that this has a ways to go.

I guess I naively assumed that the meeting today was more of a formality with the only issue being the date (April 5)? that the Twins would unveil their plans for the ballpark.

With both the ballpark and the library merger scheduled for discussion and votes on April 10, it seems like an enormous agenda for one board meeting.

Does anyone think there’s any connection between the library merger and the ballpark?

There must be a conspiracy for us to relish here someplace. Hmm – votes on both issues have been postponed a number of times; some commissioners supporting one do not support the other – hmm.

Posted by: Ray at March 28, 2007 11:03 PM

Curt, I've heard about North Dakota dropping the 'North' as well. 'Y'all' should realize that most people in this country don't realize North and South Dakota are seperate states anyway. I've honestly had fairly intelligent people on the East Coast say 'you mean they're still seperate states?' as if it were old remenant of the Civil War. Oh well, I guess a lot of people really aren't Smarter then a 5th Grader.

I propose that Minnesota invade both states and cede all territory up to 75 miles west of Interstate 29. This encompasses most of the useful parts of both states (Sioux Falls, Fargo, etc.) Then the remainder should be merged into one 'Dakota'. STM should be named governor of this new land.

Posted by: David Howe at March 28, 2007 11:42 PM

You guys make me laugh as you don't even know what taxes are. I live and work in a county that has a 6.85% state income tax rate,a $26.7K median income, a 24 cent/gallon gas tax and a 9.5% sales tax that gets raised at the drop of a hat with nothing other than a public announcement. What do I get for the privilege? Nothing. I'm 50 miles from a city with 100,000 people.

The last sales tax increase was 1.5% to support state medicare cost increases. That's from 8% to 9.5%. And some of you guys complain about 3 pennies on $20. What a joke.

Consider yourselves lucky to have "big city" activities and events for the enjoyment of your lives, get real and be thankful for what you have and take the pennies out of your pockets and pay to keep your teams.

Posted by: Justin C. at March 29, 2007 6:47 AM

The $60 a year I'll spend in additional taxes to pay for the stadium will not make it impossible for me to visit the stadium. So, like Shane, every time I make a qualified purchase in Hennepin County and pay that extra tax, I'll call it "paying for the stadium" with pride. And then I'll go to dinner before the Twins game, help pay for the stadium a bit more, and then enjoy a nice 85 degree June day in the sun at a great stadium.

Why haven't you responded to my inquiry about running for office? I have little respect for people who continuously complain about the state of things without showing any desire to play in a role in shaping our local politics.

Posted by: Aaron at March 29, 2007 7:36 AM

gee, now troll is an expert on sarcasm. troll's knowledge knows no boundaries. thanks troll for reading between the lines for us all.

Posted by: mullen at March 29, 2007 8:06 AM

Aaron - Step back from your tree so you can see the forest. The rant is about what's been put in motion as a result of your limited view of the impact of supporting a tax increase for a private special interest. You'd like the tax increase to only be about supporting a stadium, unfortunately every tax increase we'll suffer from for the next foreseeable future, will be prefaced by "It's because of our high quality of life; we have a new stadium....." and on and on and on It doesn't stop there.

And having convictions and ideals doesn't qualify you for "running for office." I impact plenty; but there are too many skeletons in the closet to suffer the public scrutiny.

Gee, mullen - based on your contribution on everything I've ever read on here, by definition, you're more the troll. If it wasn't for taking pot shots at me, you'd have nothing to write. That doesn't surprise me, coming from a dolt.

Posted by: STM at March 29, 2007 9:15 AM

All I read from that statement is that you lack the courage to make these statements in more public forum.

Posted by: Aaron at March 29, 2007 9:49 AM

Courage? are you dense? It has nothing to do with courage. There are plenty of outlets to affect change, or at least try, without having to subject yourself to public office. Based on your logic, you're either a politician or a lemming who can't do anything. Who dresses you in the morning?

John C.- based on the stats you provied you live just outside Syracuse, NY. I don't think you lack entertainment options.

Posted by: STM at March 29, 2007 9:56 AM

If there are 3 Dakotas now, wouldn't the Twins have to change to the Triplets?

Change in mascot: From TC to the Dahm triplets! Now that's a reason to go to the new ballpark that we can all agree with.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at March 29, 2007 10:13 AM

It looks like we'll get an update on the ballpark this afternoon:

http://www.startribune.com/587/story/1087279.html

Posted by: Ray at March 29, 2007 10:17 AM

Craig, again your wisdom is a light that shines through all the bitterness and confusion. Thank you. You are a credit to the state of Wisconsin.

Here is to the East Dakota Triplets! Hopefully the Dahm triplets will align themselves with this fantastic idea!

Posted by: Shane at March 29, 2007 10:19 AM

OK, I'll break my silence, and endure all the ridicule you can hurl at me, STM.

Your apparent intent here is to "affect change, or at least try," but judging by the reception you have gotten you are a miserable failure. I don't see you winning many people over with your insults, name-calling, and sparkling nuggets of wisdom. Which suggests that you are not really here to "affect change, or at least try" -- if you were you would recognize the utter futility of trying educate/convince complete retards like us and move on to more fertile ground. Instead, it suggests that you are truly here to make us as miserable and negative as you are, being condemned by your moronic spouse and in-laws to spend the remainder of your woeful natural life surrounded by ignorant twits (us) in this hellhole otherwise known as Minnesota (or East Dakota) until you die, over-taxed and penniless, while tax-happy politicians laugh at your funeral.

Well, it's not working on me. I'm happy about the stadium, happy about the tax, and VERY happy to be living in Minnesota. I'm sure that to your mind, that is just another indication of my immeasurable stupidity. But that's okay because your opinion means absolutely nothing to me. I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

Posted by: The Tube at March 29, 2007 10:34 AM

As long as I don't end up in a state governed by STM, I'm all for this invasion idea. One question, do I still work for the University of North Dakota, or would it be the University of Northwestern Minnesota?

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at March 29, 2007 10:35 AM

Where can I sign on to the Dahm triplets deal?

Posted by: Embrace the Madness at March 29, 2007 10:55 AM

I second the invasion motion -- as long as the UMN hockey team gets the rights to the three players of its choice from the UND hockey team each Spring; a sort of "tribute" payment, if you will. :)

Posted by: The Tube at March 29, 2007 11:14 AM

What I'm saying is that this is not the right forum for people as unhappy as you are with so many complaints about government. You claim to even disagree with democracy! "The local representative I voted for voted against the levy of an additional tax to Hennepin County, but the stadium still passed, so our political system failed me". Anyone else remember that?

Posted by: Aaron at March 29, 2007 11:14 AM

STM, you answered my question, but maybe you mis-interpreted it. The question was:

What do you hope to accomplish here?

I'm not talking about quality of life, jobs, etc. I'm talking about this site. Here's what you answered:

It doesn't matter what I wish to accomplish here; what do you wish to accomplish while you're here? Let's face it, 99% of us are trapped here, by wife, family, job, peer pressure, fear of change, whatever. But face it, we’re stuck here. If you don’t want to think anything, feel anything, do anything but escape by going to a stadium a handful of times per year while YOUR government sentences you to “death by duck bite? as it consistently and unceasingly erodes your standard of living and purchasing power under the guise of “better quality of life? then…..POOF. Wish granted.

Again, I ask: What do you hope to accomplish here? (On the Greet Machine)

Thank you for your time.

Posted by: JBN at March 29, 2007 11:34 AM

troll i called you a dolt yesterday, use your own put-downs. i thought you were taking notes on all this in between wiping the cheetos crumbs from your jammies.

Posted by: mullen at March 29, 2007 11:35 AM

Tube - Nice to know you're still alive; that my rants coaxed you out of your self imposed silence and that we CAN find common ground amongst us (unless you were being sarcastic - then you can go to hell).

Aaron - Things are pretty "black and white" to you aren't they? I'm not against Democracy (as limiting as it's become), and I'm not trying to change the system (as much as it needs it). My point is; if you continue to do what you've always done (nothing), you'll continue to get what you've always got. I don't like what we got and I'm explaining to you why you shouldn't either. Ignorance isn't and shouldn't be bliss. Don't prove me wrong.

JBN - Enlightenment. Maybe a consensus.

mullen - a little early for your lunch break isn't it? Don't put down that broom yet!

Posted by: STM at March 29, 2007 11:46 AM

I still think North Dakota should drop the "Dakota" and just be called NORTH.

Posted by: pragmatic_cynic at March 29, 2007 11:46 AM

I wrote my legislators to encourage him or her to vote in favor of levying the additional sales tax in Hennepin County to improve my quality of life. Does that mean that I've "continue[d] to do what I've always done (nothing)"? I also voted for the Hennepin County Commissioners who were in favor of the tax increase. Sure doesn't sound like I've done nothing.

Posted by: Aaron at March 29, 2007 11:54 AM

You didn't consider the ramifications of being in favor of a tax to support private special interests beyond your own stadium desire which is very short sighted. And you can only vote for the one Commissioner who's district you're in.

Posted by: STM at March 29, 2007 12:03 PM

"The Tube": You will a civil war in our newly formed state if you tried to break-up the UND hockey team. Even the folks in Fargo would be marching on St. Paul in that instance!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at March 29, 2007 12:49 PM

STM seems to know an awful lot about all of us here. To allow his trolling to continue, could STM give us a brief summary of the type of people who spend their time here advocating a new Twins stadium?

Posted by: Aaron at March 29, 2007 12:50 PM

STM wrote:

"My point is; if you continue to do what you've always done (nothing), you'll continue to get what you've always got. I don't like what we got and I'm explaining to you why you shouldn't either."

That's really too bad that you feel that way, STM.

As for me, your statement is a strong endorsement of the status quo. Three generations ago my greatgrandparents moved to Minnesota. Since then each succeeding generation has been characterized by significantly greater wealth, health, and opportunity.

I for one certainly hope that you are correct that 'doing what I've always done' continues to 'get me what I've always got': namely, an astounding increase in quality of life.

Posted by: tato at March 29, 2007 1:27 PM

Obviously tato, you're "doing something" and I'm certain your preceding generations did something as well. Hopefully your plan is to contribute something more to your success than just waiting for an inheritance. If more people were concerned more about "how" things got done, rather than just "that" they get done, things would be a lot better. It's funny how most people are pretty subjective in their application of the "how."

Posted by: STM at March 29, 2007 2:13 PM

More Minnesota Taxes on the way:

The Senate bill would:

Increase the gasoline tax from 20 cents to 30 cents on July 1 and tie the tax to inflation rates.

Impose a half-cent increase on the general sales tax in Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott and Washington counties while giving counties outside the seven-county area the option to extend the half-cent sales-tax increase to themselves.

Impose a $20 excise tax on new vehicles in the seven-county metro area.

Remove caps on vehicle registration fees, which are now $189 for the first renewal and $99 for subsequent ones.

Allow counties to increase a wheelage tax on vehicles from $5 to $20.

The bill also authorizes the state to borrow $200 million a year over the next decade for roadwork and to repay it with a gas-tax surcharge.

This is what caving on a Hennepin County stadium tax has wrought; more & more taxes.

Posted by: mary at March 29, 2007 2:15 PM

Right. To simplify these tax increase proposals to derivations from the stadium sales tax makes a lot of sense. Mary, you are aware that we now have a DFL dominated legislature right? Did it ever occur to you that maybe this is the reason for all these new tax increase proposals?

Posted by: Aaron at March 29, 2007 2:27 PM

I'm just going to come out and admit it. I support higher taxes. I support stuff... you might say I'm part of the "pro stuff" agenda. I want funds for roads and transit, for schools, for stadiums, for universities, for the arts, for the outdoors, for all of the reasons we in Minnesota have QUALITY OF LIFE.

I lived in ND for 4 years... I've seen what that is like. No. Thank. You. I CHOOSE to live HERE. I CHOOSE to pay a little more to live in a place that is "above average" and that's the way I like it.

I've had it up to my eyeballs with "starve the beast" East Dakota wannabes who talk with longing about a Minnesota that never existed. They seek a Minnesota that is no different the Missouri, the Dakotas, or whatever other state Sucheray and Jason Lewis lionize. (begs the question as to why they live here however?)

Nope. It's real simple. I understand that my taxes are high in Minnesota, and you know what? If our schools are the envy of the nation. If visitors marvel at our light traffic (and they do, I assure you). If our MAJOR LEAGUE teams play in facilities that are the envy of their respective leagues, if our arts and outdoors communities encourage people to move here. if we have streets you can walk down at night (and we do, especially compared to other cities our size).. then it's worth every penny.

I've grown weary of the nattering naybillies and their braying whenever the hat is passed. As though quality of life is everyone elses responsibility but theirs. Frankly, I'd like to think that views like that are just bric-a-brac, and they'll be in the rearview soon enough.

Posted by: CJ at March 29, 2007 4:56 PM

p.s.

As someone who is part of "the Fargo Brigade" let me just say that you can take the UND puckheads and do with them whatever you want, just remember, when we invade that we swing through Fargo first, pick up the Thundering Herd, and roll 75 miles north.

Curt -

On the plains of North Dakota, standing there for all to see,
is an old abandoned outhouse and they called it UND.
Hail the Bison! Hail the Bison! with your tails up in the air,
University, University, Sioux can kiss what's under there.

Posted by: cj at March 29, 2007 5:03 PM

Mary and STM: While I've always liked dirt roads, it is my hope that I94, 35W, 35E, 694 & 494 stay paved in the future. Here is a little tidbit from Pat Kessler's Reality Check:

"Minnesota's gas tax right now is 20 cents a gallon, which ranks 28th in the nation.

It hasn't gone up since 1988 when Ronald Reagan was president.

That's even though the gas tax is Minnesota's main source of money for fixing and building roads.

THE PROBLEM is that the gas tax has stayed the same, but the cost of fixing and building roads has gone crazy.

Just last year, road construction costs went up 15 percent because of higher prices on oil, cement, blacktop and steel.

The options are to either borrow the money -- as the governor wants -- and pay later, or pay as we go."

I would imagine that both of you will have some comments on such a crazy statement.

Posted by: Jeff T. at March 29, 2007 5:22 PM

CJ – welcome to the party. I see you’ve hit the “Minnesota liquor? quite a bit, before you decided to chime in on the topic.

As I pleaded before; if our schools are the envy of the nation? Why the heck can’t you turn on a T.V. without witnessing a commercial from them BEGGING for more money? Imploring us not to settle for mediocrity? Where’s the envy? Where’s the quality?

Light traffic? Compared to what other 3M population metropolis? The roads here suck as much as anyplace else.

Choosing to live here over North Dakota? Whoa, slow down there buddy. That is some pretty heady competition. Why don’t you wander outside the 5 state are before you proclaim Minnesota as your nirvana.

Jeff T. – Yeah, we’re in the top 5 in every other tax, might as well through gas tax in there too. Pretty cool to not raise a tax for 20 years and still not be in the bottom 1/3rd.

Posted by: STM at March 29, 2007 5:27 PM

Since this blog has veered into a tax debate (for which I am as guilty as anyone), I have to comment on a simple, but insightful, comment made by CJ above.

He states:

" I support stuff... you might say I'm part of the "pro stuff" agenda"

This, I think, is a key reason why the anti-taxers are currently in such disarray that someone like STM feels his most effective outlet is to post on this blog.

For the past several years, the anti-taxers (and David Strom and the Taxpayer's League jump INSTANTLY into mind) have been so adamantly stumping on an 'every tax is bad' platform that they are now basically considered as the ying to CJ's yang: they are "Anti-Stuff", or even "Anti-Everything".

Makes no difference whether 'Stuff' is schools, roads, stadium, etc., etc., etc., they are AGAINST it, and it is starting to look pretty darn negative (see any post by STM) to the average citizen.

Obviously any tax increase should be carefully considered, but, as someone posted, the "Me Tarzan, You Jane, Taxes Bad" mantra is starting to look like the tired, 6th grade politics that it is...

Posted by: tato at March 29, 2007 7:59 PM

did anybody hear or find out what commisioner randy johnson had to say about the ballpark situation today at 2:30?

Posted by: victor at March 29, 2007 9:06 PM

Not much was said about the ballpark:

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1089129.html

Posted by: Ray at March 29, 2007 10:27 PM

thanks ray.

Posted by: victor at March 29, 2007 11:36 PM

Jeff writes:"Minnesota's gas tax right now is 20 cents a gallon, which ranks 28th in the nation.
It hasn't gone up since 1988 when Ronald Reagan was president."

Jeff: The average miles driven in 1988 by each Minnesotan was about 65% what we drive now per year and there are about 35% MORE Minnesotans driving. MPG increases have NOT kept up with the increase in miles driven and 35% more drivers. Where did all THAT extra gas tax money go if not for roads, bridges, etc. You guessed it; the Minnesota DFL spent it willy nilly on other junk just like they rammed a stadium down the throats of Hennepin County.

Please read this:

The Democratic Philosophy Enshrined
Gary Gross catches the Minnesota Democratic Party (called the DFL here in the Frozone) in a moment of rare honesty. Cy Thao, a DFL member of the state Legislature, explained his party's philosophy at a committee hearing yesterday:

“When you guys win, you get to keep your money. When we win, we take your money.?

That was Thao's explanation for how the DFL would raise the money to pay for its slate of new government programs. At least it was an honest answer.

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/

Posted by: mary at March 30, 2007 7:43 AM

Mary - those were actually Pat Kessler's words, not mine, but I get the point. I don't believe you are accuate, however, with your statement that the DFL "rammed the stadium down the throats of Hennepin County." Please remember that the bill was supported and signed by Republican Governor Tim Pawlenty. It was also supported by other Republican Legislators such as Dick Day. On the flipside, DFL'er Larry Pogemiller almost killed the entire bill singlehandidly, with help from his buddy John Marty.

It's interesting to me that the "far left" and "far right" are supposedly so opposed to each other, yet they actually "come full circle" and vote the same way on many issues. For different reasons, of course, but the end result is actually the same.

Mary - our politics are probably not as far apart as you would believe, even though we disagree on the stadium issue. I actually find myself voting for Republicans more often than Democrats. I prefer moderate Republicans, however, such as Arne Carlson, who worked to get things done in this State.

Posted by: Jeff T. at March 30, 2007 8:26 AM

STM:

Quick call the sheriff. Some one is breaking the law You say You guessed it; the Minnesota DFL spent it willy nilly on other junk

The Minnesota Consitution says:

Article XIV Sec. 5. HIGHWAY USER TAX DISTRIBUTION FUND. There is hereby created a highway user tax distribution fund to be used solely for highway purposes as specified in this article. The fund consists of the proceeds of any taxes authorized by sections 9 and 10 of this article. The net proceeds of the taxes shall be apportioned: 62 percent to the trunk highway fund; 29 percent to the county state-aid highway fund; nine percent to the municipal state-aid street fund.

Posted by: pragmatic_cynic at March 30, 2007 8:49 AM

Mary -- if MPG remains the same it doesn't matter how many more drivers there are or how many more miles are driven. More driving creates more wear-and-tear to be repaired. The point is that, assuming fuel economy remained at roughly 20 MPG, the state received about 1 cent for every mile driven in the state between 1988 and 2007. Meanwhile, the cost of repairs for the effects of miles driven rose with inflation. So the simple fact is that 1 cent/mile driven doesn't go as far as it used to.

Believe it or not, intelligent people do work in government agencies like the DOT, and they occasionally know what they're talking about.

Posted by: The Tube at March 30, 2007 10:11 AM

^I think you could make your statement even stronger Tube.

My suspicion is that the relationship in the increase between total miles driven and dollar costs of repairs and construction in 1988 dollars is probably darn near 1:1. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it is LESS than 1:1 as some key costs of repairs and inflation (say, worker health care and commodities) have risen FAR more than inflation.

Posted by: tato at March 30, 2007 11:30 AM

At least someone with a brain agrees with me;

"In a highly taxed state they think it's OK to crank up taxes, crank up spending," Pawlenty said on his weekly radio show. "You can't have a model that increases government at two or three times faster than the economy, faster than people's paychecks, and not expect that to come back and bite you." Tim Pawlenty

Posted by: STM at March 30, 2007 11:40 AM

STM -

I've lived in southeast PA as well. Let me say, the people I've worked with from around the country ask me the same thing over and over again when they come here... "why are you people complaining about the traffic here? it's so much better than x"

I'll say that I ASSURE you it's better in the Twin Cities than in Philly or DC (both are larger, I acknowledge... but it's not even proportional)

As for our schools, our schools WERE the envy of the nation... until the Tax-Dodgers League and their ilk made Governor Goodhair their lackey. The draconian cuts we've seen since 2002 have not gone unnoticed by the citizens... and I contend that it's a big reason for the fact that MNGOP took a bath in '04 and '06 in this state.

The point I would make is that there exists a small but terribly loud minority of people who will forever soil themselves at the prospect of paying their share. Luckily for us in Minnesota, the average person understands that there are some endeavors best undertaken together.

Posted by: CJ at March 30, 2007 11:46 AM

"Luckily for us in Minnesota, the average person understands that there are some endeavors best undertaken together."

Amen.

Anyone else see that Silva had a nice day on the mound yesterday -- and at the plate? Apparently he beat out a throw to first, and then scored from there on a double.

Posted by: The Tube at March 30, 2007 11:51 AM

Wow... Governor Goodhair stopped running for vice president long enough to drop a pithy quote on taxes. ain't he clever?

Of course, what he's neglecting to tell people is that most of the legislation is to restore the draconian bloodletting of the first years of this decade. But hey, never let it get in the way of good spin.

Posted by: CJ at March 30, 2007 11:58 AM

I like the way you liberals categorize budgets being reduced from an 8% increase to a 3% increase, as a "cut." I guess asking government and the education lobby to keep their funding requests on pace with incomes and general economic growth rates, is unreasonable.

Show me one district where spending per pupil actually went down, as measured in dollars, during the "draconian period" you're referring to - or shut up!

Posted by: STM at March 30, 2007 12:06 PM

Here - I'll do the work for you. Per pupil spending actually increased 3.8% in '05 and 4.3% in '06 and is scheduled to go up that much again - however, it's not enough. The problem with the education lobby is; they wanted DOUBLE THAT! and anything less is a "cut."

http://www.nea.org/edstats/images/05rankings-update.pdf

Posted by: STM at March 30, 2007 12:32 PM

(March 7, 2006)

Despite spending 48 percent more than the per-pupil national average, New York ranks 24th in academic achievement among the 50 states and the District of Columbia, a new analysis of education by the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) shows.

"Again this year, [ALEC's] Report Card on American Education finds no evident correlation between increasing conventional measures of educational inputs—such as dramatic increases in education spending or keeping pupil-teacher ratios at a very low level—and improving student achievement—such as average scores on standardized tests,"

http://www.bcnys.org/whatsnew/2006/0307alecreport.htm

Posted by: STM at March 30, 2007 12:59 PM

I will be at Matty B's on Washington prior to the Twins home opener. I might be persuaded to buy a Summit for any Greet Machiner as long as they don't bring up anything related to taxes. The Twins outlook for this season and how great the opener will be in 2010 are the only allowed topics.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jiminstpaul at March 30, 2007 4:29 PM

Amen Jim. All I have to say is "No taxation without representation!" That is the extent of my contribution.

Have a good time at Matty B's and Go Twins!

Posted by: Shane at March 30, 2007 4:36 PM

I'll be on my deck listening to the game in my parka with my umbrella, training for opening day 2010! whooooooo! hoooooooo!

Posted by: Buck Faseball at March 30, 2007 5:24 PM

Dirka Dirka Dirka!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at March 30, 2007 5:33 PM

Shane, this blog has been hi-jacked. I get on here to read stadium related issues. I'm really surprised you're allowing all of this senseless blather to continue.

Posted by: John at March 30, 2007 5:48 PM

We have heard this before, but it was mentioned today as part of Randy Johnson’s State of the County address on March 30:

At its April 10 meeting, the County Board is expected to address the proposed consolidation of the county and City of Minneapolis library systems, as well as the legal process to acquire the land for a new Twins ballpark.

On another note for STM:

Twin Cities: Again Second Place Kiplinger's "Best Places to Live"!!! "Superior Education, Relatively affordable housing, Plentiful and Stellar Live Theater, Diverse Economy, and a Hometown team for every sports fan" The only place we were a loser was the weather.

Posted by: Derek Robertson at March 30, 2007 5:54 PM

There are no stadium issues, moron. Don't you read the papers.

It's being built, it is delayed.

There, now you're up to date.

Posted by: Buck Faseball at March 30, 2007 5:55 PM

Derek- GREAT! we shouldn't have to raise taxes then, right? we're already the best, so why take more $?

Posted by: STM at March 30, 2007 5:57 PM

shane,

email me when this blog becomes readable again.

Posted by: kevin in az at March 30, 2007 6:54 PM

Yea! we finished second to Nashville in the Kiplinger list. If only we could find out their secret on how to get to #1 without charging any personal income tax.

Posted by: STM at March 30, 2007 9:14 PM

You know who I actually miss? Stadiumshill. He was the one anti-stadium voice that didn't come across as a wing-nut.

Posted by: Jeff T. at March 30, 2007 9:22 PM

Don't worry everyone. I'll have some new content up soon. Just relax and think about the start of a new season of baseball.

See you soon.

Posted by: Shane at March 30, 2007 10:37 PM

come on people, I thought this blog was about SPORTS... NOT whose tax's are better/ worse then the the others.

Posted by: Matthew D. at March 30, 2007 10:38 PM

Shane....is there anyway we can block out STM?

Posted by: MOJO at March 31, 2007 9:46 AM

Censorship - that's the American way. What's the matter MOJO? the truth hurt your ears? conflicting points of view should be silenced? does it hurt to think?

Pretending the problem doesn't exist won't make them go away.

Posted by: STM at March 31, 2007 10:59 AM

troll, it's the weekend, claw off the lock and get some air. good good troll. you still love us all troll? yes of course you do. when nobody in this life will listen to you, you always have the safety of your online opinions to make it seem like you matter. is anyone actually reading them? um, ok, that's what i thought. good good troll.

opening day in two days!!

Posted by: mullen at March 31, 2007 11:08 AM

baseball been berry berry good ta me. i've been saving all winter and putting in overtime at janiking to make it to a game this year. i just haven't decided which one yet. it'll have to be later in the year so i can save enough to have a hotdog and some beer.

Posted by: mullen at March 31, 2007 11:43 AM

STM,

You're just annoying and this site is more enjoyable when you're not around. You remind me of nails on a chalkboard.

Go Twins!

Posted by: MOJO at March 31, 2007 11:58 AM

This is coming from a die hard Twins fan but....

I don't understand why anyone would be excited to see some crackerjack ballpark cramped into a tight area. There was a time when I was overjoyed by the prospect of a new stadium. That excitment quickly died away when I found out it was going to be packed 7 acre spot with limited parking.

Sorry but a $500 million project should be built the right way at state of the art standards not the junk we are settling for right now. Ballparks (the good ones) all around the country are being built at large compacities (42,000 and up) but the Twins one reeks of small market, inferiority syndrome with just 40,000 seats (might even be a tad less than that), 3rd or 4th fewest in all of baseball.

MPLS should built something they can be proud of 30 years down the road. Not something they will want nothing to do with in 20 years.

Posted by: DC at March 31, 2007 1:26 PM

I kinda like the STM takes. I mean, it is creating some lively chatter. Let's be real, none of us are experts in any of this stuff, and the nicest thing, is that it is literally impossible to prove an economic argument. It's the first rule you will read in any economics textbook. I took a lot of econ classes, and I always heard this before I tuned out, and I have a SHORT attention span.

Economics is all conjecture and theory, and until some one can create a economics "lab" it will be impossible. For example, we are pretty sure that an increase in demand will mean a decrease in supply, but are we 100% sure? Of course not. Perhaps there is another factor at play that we don't know about.

Anyway, STM is just playing devil's advocate. Perhaps he takes some cheap shots now and then, as many of us are doing, but when it comes right down to it, this is all in fun.

I say that the debate should continue, sans the cheap shots. I mean, if we all had the same viewpoint on this site, it might not be nearly as intersting.

Here's to the Twins, our delayed-but-soon-to-be-resurrected ballpark, the perseverance and dedicated of Minnesota sports fans, Tim Brewster, the Gopher wrestling team, that dark-haired Cheerleader that is in front of my section for the second quarter of every Gopher home football game, Tubby Smith, the playoff-bound Minnesota Wild, the 16th-ranked RPI Gopher baseball team and their legendary coach John Anderson, the always-right-there-if-they-don't-win-the-whole-thing Gopher Hockey team, the fact that it almost can't get any worse for the Timberwolves, and the fact that the Vikings aren't far behind the Wolves.

Oh, and the St. Paul Saints!!! Show me a more fun afternoon than a Saints game, and I will show you some oceanfront property in Nebraska.

Derek

Posted by: Derek at March 31, 2007 1:38 PM

Whoa! I gotta disagree with DC immediately. I see your argument, it might be nice to have more space, but some of the best old and new parks in baseball like Wrigley, Fenway, San Francisco (who knows what they are calling it this week), and Colorado we built in tight places.

This site will be the best transportation-related site in baseball: light rail, conergence of two major freeways, and two large highways, the skyway, bike path, end of the commuter rail, and the list goes on.

This site also has 7,000 parking spaces in just the three ramps connected to it, not to mention the thousands within a five minute walk. Teams are not moving to large spaces, they are moving back to downtown places, they are not building monstrosities, they are building parks in the 42,000 range. No one is building more than 50,000, except New York. Intimate is the key here. Sellouts are the key here. Great sightlines are the key. PNC Park in Pittsburgh is one of the best new parks, and I know it is only about half the size of the Twin Cities, but it seats only about 37,000. Most days, you don't need more than 35,000 seats anyway. This site is great, save the numerous problems acquiring it and the proximity to burning garbage...but if that was even a small problem it wouldn't even have been considered.

Derek

Posted by: Derek at March 31, 2007 1:51 PM

I think Derek brings up a good point. We have the opportunity to build one of the most intimate ballparks in america. I also think it will be the first ballpark that will have Condos across the street where you can watch a game from your balcony. Thats where I will be retiring!!!

PS- I have nothing against STM and I appreciate his points....hes just annoying me right now!

Posted by: MOJO at March 31, 2007 2:27 PM

i think stm is an idiot. he/she is negative about everything. i agree. is there a way to block this loser out?

Posted by: victor at March 31, 2007 3:50 PM

i changed my mind. after reading his/her posts again i think that there are good points made. i hope stm sticks around.

Posted by: victor at March 31, 2007 5:48 PM

UM YOU ARE SNEAKY STM. WHY WOULD YOU EVEN USE MY NAME AS A SCREEN NAME AND WRITE THAT? MAN ARE YOU A LOSER. YOU MUST REALLY HAVE A BORING LIFE TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT. WRITING SHIT UNDER "VICTOR" THAT I DIDN'T EVEN SAY. GET A LIFE.

Posted by: victor at March 31, 2007 9:06 PM

HI ITS "ME VICTOR" USING STM AS A SCREEN NAME. I AM SO COOL. WHAT AN IDIOT. I WANTED TO BE LIKE YOU STM.

Posted by: STM at March 31, 2007 9:07 PM

Doesn't anyone care about having some beers and watching the Twins play the season opener?
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jiminstpaul at April 1, 2007 5:01 PM

It's just not gonna be the same without Herb Carneal. As a kid, that voice talked me to sleep on so many nights. John Gordon is annoying and Dan Gladden is downright unbearable.

Carneal had such a soothing voice, always stayed on task when calling the game, never got too excited whether good or bad. Man I'll miss that.

R.I.P. Herb

Posted by: kevin in az at April 1, 2007 5:49 PM