< The obligatory post about the Twins on Opening Day | Main | I miss ... >

Can we actually talk about baseball?

oldtwins.gif

Well, the game lived up to the hype. I was in heaven. Santana struggled a little bit, but Morneau and Hunter more than made up for it. What a way to start the season! Jon has it right. The funniest moment last night came when Gardy read the starting lineup for the game. After mentioning the batting champion Mauer, AL MVP Morneau, and Gold-Glove winner Hunter Gardy was half way through and quipped, "we should win, shouldn't we?" Indeed! Maybe Freealonzo is right: the offense will carry this team through the year. Let's hope Boof can give us a good effort and keep it going tonight.

And how about those Brewers? I gotta admit it was nice to see Sheets have a nice game. The guy can't catch a break, so here is hoping he is healthy the whole season (and doesn't pitch during the Twins series in May). That's for you Cheesehead (and Vicki!).

Back to bidness ... Sid writes today:

"The Burlington railroad situation is still the problem, but we think we can solve it and start building on time," St. Peter said. The stadium will require the adjacent railroad tracks to be rerouted.

So, it would appear the hold up is no longer the land acquisition but the railroad, as was suggested yesterday on these fine pages. My question is, what would St. Peter consider to be not "on time"? I'm of the opinion that they are a little off schedule, but it sounds like there is some wiggle room. Hopefully they don't use it all up in the beginning.

Life is looking up, ain't it? And with the snow coming tonight all I can say is thank goodness for the Metrodome and indoor baseball! Just kidding, I will welcome a little snow storm to open the new ballpark. Let's hope we are playing the Angels or the Rangers when the season opens in 2010. Show those pansies what outdoor baseball is all about!

Any thoughts on the game?

Posted by snackeru at April 3, 2007 7:15 AM

I don't think too many people in Minnesota are giving this stadium a chance to be built anymore.

Everybody I talk to is convinced the deal fell through and the only thing keeping these discussions alive is hopeless hopefull thinking.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I am more concerned about god awful taxes in this state than I am about a stadium that doubles the value of the Pohlads team. Ludicrous.

Posted by: dave at April 3, 2007 8:43 AM

Not too surprising that Santana came out slow. He tends to do that at the start of the season. Very impressed with the offense though for the Twins. Solid win.

Thanks for the Brewers shout out. Sheets was awesome. I got the early lead on the bet with Free.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 3, 2007 8:52 AM

That looked like one of the "funnest" openers in awhile. Nothing against the recent successful Twins teams, but it's clear that Santana-Mauer-Morneau can really dominate a game like Minnesota hasn't seen in a long while, both in the boxscore and otherwise. I've cheered my lungs out at past home openers and didn't feel the excitement I felt watching the occasion on TV last night.

I'll be in the Home Run Porch tonight -- I hope Boof keeps the O's out of there!

Posted by: spycake at April 3, 2007 9:00 AM

CHC: It's a marathon baby, not a sprint!

Did anyone else sense the noticable excitement surrounding the Twins opener? At the U there were tons of kids wearing Twins hats and/or shirts -- much more so than in years past and light years more than when I was a student in the 80's. The crowd was not only large but it was rowdy and excited. Plus there were tons of young people there.

We may be entering the golden years of Twins fandom. We have adults who remember world championships, we have young people who know only relative success, we have a team chock full of personalities, there are countless Twins blogs that run the whole spectrum from serious statistical analysis (Aaron Gleeman and SBG) to cult of personality (Batgirl) and we are only 3 years from a glorious new outdoor stadium. It seems like we are finally becoming a mature baseball town, where fans are passionate and knowlegable and rewarded by a good product on the field.

Nothing like opening day to get all giddy!

Posted by: freealonzo at April 3, 2007 9:07 AM

I was up in the Cheap Seats last night and what a contrast from the Timberwolves game I went to on Friday night!

I agree with everything Free said and can't wait to get back tonight and see Boof and the boys in action again!

Posted by: Snyder at April 3, 2007 10:05 AM

A couple of notes:

As I understood it, in order to be truly behind schedule, they would have to break ground after the all-star break. they were prepared for some of this. i remain confident that things will be fine, all parties involved are putting ducks in a row, and ironing out everything behind the scenes.

As for the game, my takes:

1. people are really excited, and I know a lot of young fans love the Twins because they know them only as winners. older fans seem to realize that there will likley not be a better time in their lives (excepting the streakier 87-93 teams) to be fans.

2. there is a genuine belief that this team could win it all... despite the prognostications

3. you've got a roster FULL of players the fans LOVE. From the everyday starters to the bench players and bullpen guys... seems like every Twin has their contingent of crazy fans.

4. it's just fun baseball to watch. whether it's the big bats hitting homers in the middle of the lineup or watching the piranahs turn a walk, stolen base and infield single in to a run... good ball all around. Then there is the pitching of Santana and the bullpen... oh yeah, and the gold glove defense.

5. the players seem to really enjoy playing for the fans here... and not in the 'soundbite in the news' kind of way either.

as to the actually game last night... I liked how they picked up right where they left of vis-a-vis picking each other up, getting key hits, and not getting down. Even when they trailed in this game, I always felt they had it in hand... I haven't felt that way perhaps ever before.

It's a real treat for a smallball fan like me to watch Tyner, Bartlett, Castillo and Punto. I honestly could watch that style of play all year (and i did from 98-01 ;-)).

rondell white: working hard to win the fans over, nice Torrii Hunter impression.

Posted by: CJ at April 3, 2007 10:15 AM

was anyone able to watch the game in HD last night? i set my tivo to record espn2HD and came home at 8:30 and was NOT happy to find it was blacked out. When i turned to the local channel's HD feed it was (as I surmised) not in fact in HD. I can understand blacking out the game in favor of the local broadcast but if you're not going to actually produce a local broadcast in HD, I wish they would not have blacked out the HD version.

i was only able to watch from the bottom of the 6th on, but the early highlights looked like a great game.

Posted by: barry at April 3, 2007 11:52 AM

It was fun to watch Tyner get a walk, steal second, and wait for one of the other piranhas to drive him in. What was MORE fun though, was watching Morneau hit a low, outside curve ball over the opposite field fence. I mean, that was SICK! He's going to win the MVP again this year.

Posted by: Dave T at April 3, 2007 12:31 PM

Barry,

ESPN was just being nice to the locals. Most of the games ESPN covered last night were blacked out in the local markets to be good to the home markets. In the future, very few of these games will be blacked out on HD

Posted by: zooomx at April 3, 2007 12:46 PM

I will limit my remarks to the dome's "entertainment" aspects.
-$6.25 for a beer? Has that gone up since last year? Good thing the Summit break room has the cheapest 20 oz Coke machine in town; 75 cents. I always stock up for me and the kids and avoid the $3 pops (smuggle at your own risk)
-Considering the time they had to work with, the Herb Carneal tributes thru out the evening were well done.
-I have given up on buying the Twins scorecard. Has anyone bought the Gameday scorecards outside the dome? Best $2 you can spend. Check out the website too at MNGameday.com Will appeal to any true Greetmachiner.
-$5 black angus hot dog bar. Best deal in the dome.
-I always love to pay attention to the music a player selects for his walk to the batter's box. Someone could do a great league wide study on this pertaining to the respective averages of rap intro vs rock intro.
-The new sing a long with TC on the scoreboard; lame. Bon Jovi's Living On a Prayer?
-At least the Kiss Cam is back. Shane, maybe you can link this to the best Kiss Cam moment ever. Remember the one that would get most of us divorced?
-If anyone was at Matty B's I am sorry I missed you. I was with the kid bumping into everyone on his Healies.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jiminstpaul at April 3, 2007 5:39 PM

I believe pretty much all the prices went up a quarter from last year.

I just wish there were more Summit taps on the upper level because when I go to the foot-long hot dog stand for one, it's too hard to resist the temptation to get one of those, too...

Posted by: Snyder at April 3, 2007 6:22 PM

I like drinking a beer at the game, especially on those hot, muggy days. Since I haven't been able to experience that in Minnesota for over 25 years and beer is now $6.25, I refrain from beer drinking at Twins games.

Posted by: freealonzo at April 3, 2007 8:51 PM

That's only $150.00 per case for beer. Just wait until the Twins get their mitts on the concessions.

Posted by: Ben at April 4, 2007 12:35 AM

$6.25 for a Beer?

$5.00 for a hotdog?

Add admission, parking, literature, etc. and you just probably spent over $150 on going to a baseball game for an adult and two kids; much of that going in the pockets of millionaire players.

$150 invested at 8% would double in just 9 years.

Multiply that times the number of games seen.

You could pay for the kids college education instead of whining about the rest of us having to pay higher taxes to support the Universities, loans, and/or leaning on Grandpa and Grandma.

No kids? There are one heck of a lot more interesting things to do with $150 than sit in bleachers watching someone else perform while your waist expands.

Life is filled with decisions; some of us manage to make the right ones while others just fritter everything away for the moment.

Posted by: connor at April 4, 2007 7:31 AM

The Twins and Brew Crew are neck-and-neck at 2-0 so far this season! Thanks for the mention -- I too am just hopeful Sheets can stay healthy for at least half the season. He's so great when he's 'on'. What an exciting start to the season for both our teams!

Posted by: Vicki at April 4, 2007 8:48 AM

Connor - seriously? I haven't seen a lot of people that go to Twins games "whining" about other people paying taxes. Does that make any sense?

Posted by: Aaron at April 4, 2007 8:53 AM

Wow Dave, you are an idiot! Talking only to people who say things that you wanna hear.

Posted by: CTM at April 4, 2007 9:04 AM

connor - please go proselytize somewhere else. how someone else chooses to spend their time/money is not for you to determine as 'right' or 'wrong'.

Posted by: barry at April 4, 2007 9:21 AM

Shane, the site's getting negative again.

We need a post about rabbits, chickens or giraffes and be quick about it.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 4, 2007 12:40 PM

Hi Ben, If you actually had any money with your broke self, then you could easily spend the money to enjoy a ball game. Who are you to complain how "strangers" spend their money? If I have plentiful amounts of money, why not go to a game and pay high prices for beer, etc.? Your broke and cheap, not me.

Posted by: Johnny at April 4, 2007 2:24 PM

It's been a great season so far. I just have to say to those of you who come here to critisize those of us who love baseball:

A. Why do you bother? This site is for people who love baseball. It is the ultimate waste of time.

B. When you're on your death bed, how much enjoyment is that extra $150 in the bank you so lovingly saved up going to bring you? None. But how much joy might the memory of that baseball game you went to with your son, father, grandson or grandfather bring you?

Posted by: David Howe at April 4, 2007 8:45 PM

I was referring to the Dave who first reponded to this blog entry, not Dave Howe, just to clear any confusion.

Posted by: CTM at April 5, 2007 9:31 PM

So does any one know if there is a date set for the unveiling of the design for the new ballpark?

Posted by: Michael at April 6, 2007 5:45 PM

Sid says Thursday in his current column, hopefully they won't postpone it again. I wanna see what this thing looks like.

Posted by: CTM at April 7, 2007 9:21 PM