< I was really ... | Main | Thy Kingdom Come >

Let us consider these books

Will Young tagged me a while back with these book related questions. I must admit, it took me a long time to put this list together because it was hard to answer these questions. They are tough. There are so many good books, it is really hard to pinpoint the most meaningful. Here is my best shot. Of course, I want to hear from you! What books would you put on your list?

1. One book that changed your life

enders.jpg The toughest question of them all (and I assume the Bible is not an acceptable answer). I gotta go with Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Reading this book set off a life-long love of science fiction. I picked this book up on a whim thinking that the cover looked cool. Inside is a story so thought provoking and compelling that it absolutely blew me away. I have yet to read a science fiction book that has meant more to me. It is one of the few books I have no trouble recommending to everyone I meet. You will like this book. I don't care who you are. It will have an impact on you. Anyone disagree?

2. One book that you’ve read more than once

Short History I don't re-read books. In fact, I usually mock people that read books more than once. You mean to tell me that of the billions of books ever written, you couldn't find a new one to read? You had to re-read a book? That is pathetic. Having said that, A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson is one of the few books I have read more than once. I will concede sometimes a book is so magnificent or thought provoking you have to read it again. I have read this book twice, and I still could probably read it again. It is that good. It may even be Ender's Game good. A Short History of Nearly Everything is a history of scientific discovery. How do we know the things we know about? Fight the good fight against your own ignorance and pick up this book! Can I get an amen?

3. One book you would want on a desert island

shakespeare.jpg Who picked these questions? Man, this is a tough one. Again, I assume the Bible is off limits, but the book would have to be something like it. Spiritual, historical, meaningful, timeless, thought provoking, and hefty. Something I could go back to over and over again. I think the Complete Works of William Shakespeare would probably do the trick. Plus, when I go bat-guano crazy, me and my coconut buddies can put on a performance of Hamlet and seal the deal.

4. One book that made you laugh

confederacy.jpg You've probably heard of A Confederacy of Dunces, but you probably don't know the interesting story behind it. John Kennedy Toole tried to get this book published during his lifetime, but was unsuccessful. It is speculated that this caused him a great deal of depression which eventually led to Toole's suicide in 1969. His mother read the manuscript and liked the book so much that she sent it to the novelist Walker Percy begging him to read it. Reluctantly, Percy read it, loved it, got it published, and the book went on to win the 1981 Pulitzer Prize. Intrigued? You should be. The book is a great read. It is funny (hilarious actually), thoughtful, and very unique. It is also considered the classic novel of New Orleans and includes one of the most memorable characters in the history of fiction: Ignatius J. Reilly. I loved it. Intelligent humor is tough to pull off in fiction. This book nails it. Highly recommended.

5. One book that made you cry

dayinthelife.jpg I must have been in a contemplative mood the day I finished this book. But honest to goodness A Day in the Life: the Music and Artistry of the Beatlesby Mark Hertsgaard made me a little misty-eyed. I can still remember sitting in the Indiana University Main Library cafeteria and wiping away the tears as I considered the importance of this band and the circumstances that resulted in their demise. It is just a beautiful book. If you are a Beatles fan it is a must read. It gives proper coverage to both the music of the Beatles and the historical context around that music and caused by that music. If you are a fan of the Beatles, I don't think I can recommend any book higher than this one.

6. One book you wish had been written

OK, I take that back, this is the toughest question. A book I wish had been written? How about The Complete Guide to Understanding Your Wife and Her Varying Moods? That would be handy. On a more serious note, even though Ender's Game above stands alone, it is also the beginning of a 4 book series. The last book in the series, Children of the Mind sees the death of Ender, but it also ends before the Lusitania attack fleet reaches the planet. What the heck happens next? That is what I'd like to know.

7. One book you wish had never been written

Without a doubt, The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy. The most painful book I have ever read. Boring, Victorian, pretentious, confusing, and boring. I was forced to read this in high school and I think my love of book reading took a vicious hit because of it. I realize some people may like it, but not me. Blech.

8. One book you’re currently reading

ghostbrigades.jpg Well, I just finished The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi. That was a good book. A better book was his first: Old Man's War. That was without a doubt one of the best sci-fi books I have ever read. I seriously had a smile on my face the whole time. It is right up there with Ender's Game, Dune, The Mote in God's Eye, Calculating God, Pastwatch, etc ... and that is really saying something. I suggest you check it out.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read

Oh man ... I've always wanted to read Catch 22. Never have. I'd also like to read Starship Troopers but the political and philosophical overtones have always turned me off. The Once and Future King I'd put up there too. That should keep me busy.

So, there you have it. Now I am supposed to tag at least six people, so I tag Cheesehead Craig, Freealonzo, Curt in Grand Forks, SBG, Jon Marthaler, and Jeff Thompson.

But six isn't enough. The rest of you (David Howe, STM if you are still around, Snyder, Derek, Tim_R, CTM, Drake33, The Tube, spycake, kevin in az, Jiminstpaul, barry, zooomx, DaveT, CJ, Vicki, Kaz, mullen, victor, MOJO, Jeff A, pragmatic_cynic, tato, Rational Actor, JBN, Ray, Jimmy Jack, Aaron, GK, mlb2131, Alex, AA, Waldo, Wing-nut, Moe, Boof, Stadiumshill, BP, Erik, RichP, BMac, phil, Ray, Mylometer, jlichty, Podunk, Tommy, bjhess, Casual Fan, John, charles, LarryH, Ray Kinsella, Moonlight Graham, Vince, and everyone else that I may have forgotten, including those of you that have never commented) I want to hear from you too! I'm always on the lookout for new books.

Until next time.

Posted by snackeru at April 4, 2007 8:17 PM | Books

1. One book that changed your life
Four Agreements - Don Miguel Ruiz

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

an Atlas - I could look at it for days

4. One book that made you laugh
Marley and Me - John Grogan

5. One book that made you cry
Marley and Me - John Grogan

6. One book you wish had been written
I have to agree with you Shane...The Moods book would be perfect

Any David Sedaris book...I started reading two of them and was bored out of my mind

8. One book you’re currently reading
The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read
7 Habbits of Highly Effective People - Stephen Covey.....ya Im in sales.

Posted by: MOJO at April 4, 2007 10:56 PM

I put my list up later today. Although I am quite offended at the scorn you direct toward book re-readers as I am a notorious re-reader, some books multiple times. :o)

MOJO, 7 habits is a great book, I'll lend you mine if you want.

Posted by: Freealonzo at April 5, 2007 7:26 AM

Hey Shane - thanks for "the tag." I have to admit that I haven't read as many books as I would have like for many reasons (kids, laziness, etc.) But here we go:

1. One book that changed your life:
Band of Brothers - (the book about 101st Airborne in WWII that was eventually featured in the HBO series - amazing).

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
I don't believe this has occurred. Actually, Generations - The History of America's Future. William Strauss and Neil Howe. Very interesting.

"How to build a boat out of sand and palm trees."

4. One book that made you laugh
"The Simpsons - A Complete Guide to our Favorite Family." So funny, I cry (see below)

5. One book that made you cry
"The Simpsons - A Complete Guide to our Favorite Family." So funny, I cry (see above)

6. One book you wish had been written
"How to build a baseball stadium in Minnesota in less than a decade."

7. One book you wish had never been written:
"Syd." No, just kidding.

8. One book you’re currently reading:
"The World is Flat" - Thomas Friedman

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
Ahhhhh.....seriously, this is the problem.

Thanks.

Posted by: Jeff T. at April 5, 2007 7:29 AM

Only because you asked so nice.

1. One book that changed your life:
"Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee"

"American Caesar"

3. One book you would want on a desert island:
"Treasure Island"

4. One book that made you laugh:
"Will the Vikings Ever Win the Super Bowl"

5. One book that made you cry:
"A Bright Shining Lie"

6. One book you wish had been written:
"How to Predict What the Wife is Going to Want Next"

"The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich"

8. One book you’re currently reading:
"Sea of Thunder"

"The Education of a General"

Posted by: BMac at April 5, 2007 8:26 AM

1. One book that changed your life:
Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. I only read part of this book, but it changed the way I talk with, listen to and treat my wife. I fully believe that this book made my relationship with her 800% better.

The Hobbit. Timeless masterpiece.

Monty Python – Just the Words: Every Monty Python sketch from the TV show, hours and hours of fun.

4. One book that made you laugh:
Confederacy of Dunces. Just happy I found that book about 10 years before you did.

5. One book that made you cry:
None ever have. But reading some children’s books to my kids has gotten me close.

6. One book you wish had been written:
Harry Potter series. Cha-Ching!

Anything by Daneille Steele. No explanation needed.

8. One book you’re currently reading:
How the Irish saved Civilization. A horribly boring beginning, but like everything Irish, just have a drink or two and things move along better.

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 5, 2007 9:47 AM

Shane, Catch-22 is a phenomenal read. I've been meaning to read Confederacy of Dunces for awhile, so I'll be getting to that shortly.

Posted by: Will Young at April 5, 2007 10:09 AM

The Baseball Encyclopedia.

Actually, for me, this one could fit into a lot of the categories above...

Posted by: spycake at April 5, 2007 10:18 AM

1. One book that changed your life
Peter D. Kramer, Spectacular Happiness: A Novel - I used to only read required reading materials for classes, which left me with plenty to read in high school, college and grad school. On a whim, a few years ago I decided to try out social reading again and this was a book I stumbled on at Barnes and Noble. It made me want to read more... and many of the books that follow are a result of that.

J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye... Once when it was required reading materials, and another because I remembered liking it.

Douglas Adams, The Ultimate Hitchiker's Guide (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; The Restaraunt at the End of the Universe; Life, the Universe and Everything; So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish; Mostly Harmless; Young Zaphod Plays It Safe) - 8 books, all interesting. It would also give some hope that I could "hitchhike" my way off the island.

4. One book that made you laugh
C.D. Payne, Youth in Revolt: The Journals of Nick Twisp - Crazy hilarious book... recommended by my girlfriend, and I still think it's one of the best. Quite bizarre. There was also a follow-up that's pretty good... C.D. Payne, Revolting Youth: The Further Journals of Nick Twisp.

5. One book that made you cry
I can't recall any titles... but I know there have been a few. Sorry for dodging the question.

6. One book you wish had been written
A Guide to Representative Democracy: A Book for People Who Think A Referendum is the Answer

James D. Cox et al. Securities Regulation: Cases And Materials... It's really boring and not fun. However, I must admit that I've needed it far more than other books on this list.

8. One book you’re currently reading:
Young Zaphod Plays It Safe - The last book of The Ultimate Hitchikers Gude... I've been stuck on it for a while.

After hearing the reviews from you guys, John Kennedy Toole, A Confederacy of Dunces.

P.S. I saw Rich Pogin at the Twins game last night. I am hopeful that his presence there indicated that a deal was basically done. Otherwise, after the PR hit he's taken, I would think he might be uncomfortable being around a bunch of rabid Twins fans.

Posted by: The Rational Actor at April 5, 2007 10:35 AM

1. One book that changed your life
Outside the Bible, I'm not sure I could name one that has.

The Stand - Stephen King

The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe (

4. One book that made you laugh
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

5. One book that made you cry
None, but the closest might be To Kill A Mockingbird

6. One book you wish had been written
The rest of The Canterbury Tales

The Lord of the Flies (I know it's a classic but school completely ruined it for me)

8. One book you’re currently reading
The Gunslinger - Stephen King

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read
The Once and Future King (It's stuck in my head now)

Posted by: Waldo at April 5, 2007 11:43 AM

This is really great - forgot about "Hobbit", "Mockingbird".

Posted by: BMac at April 5, 2007 12:07 PM

O.k. I have my list up. Sorry, I'm going to force you to visit my site:

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/carls064/freealonzo/

Good lists here, I might have to check out a couple of these books.

Posted by: Freealonzo at April 5, 2007 12:45 PM

1. One book that changed your life

Not sure if it "changed my life" but one book I found very influential was "Believing Cassandra" by Alan AtKisson

I can't think of anything recently, but I read both the "Little House" series and the Chronicles of Narnia repeatedly when I was a kid.

The Stand

4. One book that made you laugh

Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser - I had an idea that some of the stuff he talked about was going on, but not to the level of detail he went into. Laughing in this case was my coping mechanism.

5. One book that made you cry

probably one of my chemical engineering texts before I finally said screw it and changed my major to chemistry

6. One book you wish had been written

I'm going to steal Rational Actor's answer

see #5

8. One book you’re currently reading

"Separation of Power" by Vince Flynn (I'm working my way through the Mitch Rapp series)

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read

Oh crap, I have a stack of them. On top of it, I think, is "Highway Robbery" by Dr. Robert Bullard

Posted by: Snyder at April 5, 2007 1:37 PM

One quick stadium note (sorry). Check out the info that was placed on the Ballpark Authority web site today:

http://www.ballparkauthority.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={5BA4320D-0FD6-43BB-B619-C15948BD56FF}

Seems like good news!

Posted by: Jeff T. at April 5, 2007 2:30 PM

I'm too much of a lurker to be invited to participate, but it sounds like Shane and I have similar reading tastes, so what the hey!

1. One book that changed your life
The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien. I didn't know reading could be an enjoyable experience until I read that book.

Hamlet - William Shakespeare. It was required reading for a couple of classes, but I could read it over and over again...

I'm with Shane. I could read Shakespeare again and again.

4. One book that made you laugh

5. One book that made you cry
Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes. I was like 6...

6. One book you wish had been written
"You too can be a Major League Baseball Player!"

I cannot answer this one. Even Mein Kamf and the Communist Manifesto has a place.

8. One book you’re currently reading
"A Storm of Swords" - George R.R. Martin. Book 3 in a never ending series... (Actually currently 4 volumes with a 5th due shortly)

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read
One? I've got a stack of about 20... Next on the list is "The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch.

Shane, you may want to check out "Heroes Die" by Matthew W Stover. You may like it. If so, there is a follow-up entitled "The Blade of Tyshalle". A third in the series is due soon...

Posted by: DouglasG at April 5, 2007 2:34 PM

Looking at the list I guess I misunderstood #6, thinking which book I wish I had written. Oops.

Which book do I wish had been written but hasn't yet? Bedtime Stories: Scarlett Johansson's Torrid, Year-Long Affair with Freealonzo.

Posted by: Freealonzo at April 5, 2007 2:58 PM

1. Book that changed your life
"7 habits of highly effective people"... Covey nailed it. I treat people differently and with more integrity due to this book

2. One book you've read more than once.
"Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan. First book in an 11 book (and counting) series. 600 pages++ each book. You have to re-read to stay in the story.

3. One book you would want on a dessert island
"A Boys Life" Robert McCammon. Picked it off a paperback shelf and it really took me back to "To Kill a Mockingbird"

4. One book that made you cry
"Forever Odd" Dean Koontz. I just know Koontz should not be able to grip my heartstrings, but he does it again and again... to my shame.

5. One book that made you laugh
"The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes" I read this collection with my son last month and it had a whole new meaning than when I read it as a teenager. We died laughing together, yet on whole different levels. (I think)

6. One book you wish had been written.
"College is much harder than high school" I literally had no clue.

7. One book you wish never had been written.
"The Silmarillion" J.R.R. Tolkien. I love Tolkien, but I suffered immensely through this book. Arrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh

8. Currently reading "Crown of Swords" by Robert Jordan book 7 of the above mentioned mammoth series. I have re-read the first 6 books over the past 4 weeks. Yikes!

9. One book you have been meaning to read.
"How to Write and Sell Your First Novel" I really intend to submit some material to a publisher some day, but if I actually read this book (that I bought 6 years ago), then there is no turning back.

10) My top ten authors in no particular order

Robert Jordan (although pleeease end your series!)
Frank Herbert
J.R.R. Tolkien
Terry Brooks
Arthur C Clarke
Issac Asimov
Dean Koontz (curse you Dean)
Tom Clancy
Feodor Dostoevsky (Crime and Punishment)
Brian Herbert / Kevin Anderson (Dune prequel series)

sorry, I just felt we needed a #10 on this list

Posted by: zooomx at April 5, 2007 3:31 PM

oops did I write "dessert island"?? I guess than it would be "Pass the Whipped Cream" by Oprah

Posted by: zooomx at April 5, 2007 3:35 PM

since the tag has been put on... i'll post.

1. One book that changed your life
The Art of War - Sun Tzu

Fight Club - Chuck Pahlaniuk (Before it was made in to a movie)

Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (see the last question for the reason)

4. One book that made you laugh
Uncovering the Dome - Amy Klobuchar (her graduate paper in college... long before becoming Senator)

5. One book that made you cry
Night - Elie Wiesel

6. One book you wish had been written
Stadium Financing: The Case for Public/Private Partnerships (basically would be expanding on my senior thesis from college. yes, my senior thesis was on public financing of sports facilities, what works, what doesn't, etc. and i assure you there are no good, objective pieces out there on the subject currently)

A People's History of the United States - Howard Zinn (vastly overrated; Zinn, Vidal, and Chomsky are everything that's wrong with my side of the political spectrum)

8. One book you’re currently reading
LBJ: The Architect of American Ambition

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read
Rise and Fall of the Third Reich

Posted by: CJ at April 5, 2007 5:37 PM

Someone should get a list of common denominators going here.

Posted by: BMac at April 5, 2007 6:57 PM

Some very thought provoking questions, Shane. Thanks for asking them!

1.) Life changing: I truly can not say that I have read a book which has changed my life. There are certainly lots of books which have meant a great deal to me, but are not "life changing." I will disqualify the Bible for the same reasons as Shane.

2.) Re-read: Unlike the esteemed blogmaster, I re-read books all the time. I re-read "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer at least once a year. It is the best book I have ever read, period. I have also read each of the Harry Potter books at least twice, and "Season on the Brink" by John Feinstein several times. And this does not take into account my comic books and graphic novels which I have read numerous, numerous times.

3.) Desert Island: I would have to take the Lord of the Rings trilogy as it would take me a long time to get through. I also think I would discover new things each time I read it. It's also an easy book to picture in your mind due to the movies, which might come in handy on a desert island.

4.) Laugh: I would say David Letterman's First Top Ten Book or Dave Barry's "Sort of History of the United States," but these shouldn't count because they are books designed to make one laugh. I've laughed at the end of several Clive Cussler books when the villains meet their eventual comeupance.

5. Cry: When I was in junior high, I wept like a baby at the end of the High King by Lloyd Alexander. It is the end of a five volume set, and I was quite attached to the characters by the end of the final book. I re-read it several years ago, and had the same reaction.

6.) Written: Something along the lines of "The Longest Day" by Cornelius Ryan. My grandpa charged up Bloody Omaha on D-Day, and I would loved to have written about what that the invasion was like.

7.) Never Written: This is a tough one, as I have read some bad books, but nothing that I truly wish hadn't been written. I am also unable to remember any really bad books I read while in college. My Irish ancestors almost destroyed all of Edmund Spenser's "The Fairie Queen." When I tell this story to English Lit majors, almost all of them reply that they wish my family had finished the task! I guess I'll go with that one.

8.) Reading now: I am currently making my way through "Paddy's Lament" by Thomas Gallagher. It tells the story of the Irish Potato Famine, which probably killed some of my ancestors, yet is also the reason I am here in the United States. A difficult book to read, knowing that Ireland had the means to feed itself even without the potato, but was denied that right by the British.

9.) Meaning to read: Most of the classics could be listed here. "The Jungle," "Main Street" and "Catch 22" are near the top of my list, but yet I have never gotten around to reading them. Perhaps I don't want to discover that the books are really not that good...

And for the record, "Ender's Game" may be the most over-rated novel of all-time. Yes it was a decent read, but nothing all that special. It certainly did not make me want to read the rest of the series. I now fully expect to be barred from posting on the blog. Shane can tolerate STM hating on the stadium, but probably will not allow me to disparage Orson Scott Card!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at April 5, 2007 11:42 PM

CJ, I just finished The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. It only took me about two months or reading while falling asleep.

Posted by: Will Young at April 6, 2007 12:17 AM

Man, it's been awhile since I've read a book for fun which is sad. I've been looking for some suggestions for books to read and probably will take a few of your suggestions into account. Last book I read was DaVinci Code and that was only last year. Yeah, I'm way behind. School does that to you.

I've also read a couple Harvey Mackay books for those of you looking for a job. (Funny thing about the economy today. You graduate from a top engineering school (MN) within the last two years and you can't get a full-time job in the Twin Cities because you don't have enough experience. Sorry for straying.) Ummm... heard good things about all books written by Chuck Klosterman. I've enjoyed Tom Clancy since I was younger, haven't read anything recently from him though.

Let me think about it a bit more when it's not so late and get back to you all.

Posted by: Mylometer at April 6, 2007 12:35 AM

Thanks for the offer Freealonzo but I already own 7 Habits...it just hasn't made its way to the top of the pile yet. I am VERY excited to read it and am glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Looks like I might also need to check out "Confederacy of Dunces"

Posted by: MOJO at April 6, 2007 9:35 AM

Is anyone else excited as I am to see the stadium design next week?.....I am counting the days!!

Posted by: MOJO at April 6, 2007 9:36 AM

Which day next week are they going to present the designs?

Posted by: kevin in az at April 6, 2007 9:44 AM

Curt,

After reading "The Jungle" I was never more appreciative of the FDA. That book is seriously disturbing.

Posted by: CJ at April 6, 2007 9:47 AM

1. Change Life: None. Unless you count the LSAT study guide.

2. Re-read: The 158-Pound Marriage by John Irving. It's the only book that I've ever read twice. It's not a particularly good book, but it's also relatively short. I think that's why I reread it. The book has a lot of Irving's themes -- tragedy, unfaithfulness but he's written far better books.

3. Desert Island: Crime and Punishment. Why not.

4. Laugh: Slaughterhouse Five. Laughed at loud literally. At parts.

5. Cry: Can't think of one.

6. Written: An accurate account of GWB's life prior to the presidency. Because I think we'd probably all be better off.

7. Never Written: I think it was called "The Road Less Traveled" by M. Scott Peck. Anyway, many years ago when I was going through a rough patch, I bought this book to read for a little self improvement type thing. About half-way through he was talking about how he would be open to having sex with his patients if it would help them in their therapy. Somebody should have taken away his crayons.

8. My wife is 9 months pregnant. I'm trying to find time to read "The Cheater's Guide to Baseball" so that I can review it on my site for Derek Zumsteg. Time is a problem, though.

9. Meaning to read: Moby Dick. I've read the first 100 or so pages about three times. I've found it interesting, but I've never pushed forward and finished it.

Posted by: SBG at April 6, 2007 9:52 AM

CJ --

In regards to stadium financing, the last chapter of Jay Weiner's "Stadium Games" presents some good cases and conditions for public financing, although the rest of the book is just a history of Twin Cities stadium fiascos through 1999 or so.

I'm really curious to read your senior thesis now -- like you say, there's kind of a dearth of good, objective stadium writing, although I do enjoy factual accounts like Klobuchar's "Uncovering the Dome," some of Zimbalist's work, and even some of the more "biased" works out there...

Posted by: spycake at April 6, 2007 10:25 AM

I think the designs are being released on April 12th

Posted by: MOJO at April 6, 2007 10:59 AM

1. One book that changed your life:
Emotional Intelligence - Daniel Goleman

Multiple Tom Clancy novels pre-Without Remorse

The New Penguin History of the World (4th ed.) - J.M. Roberts

4. One book that made you laugh:
A Year in Provence - Peter Mayle

5. One book that made you cry:
Where the Red Fern Grows - Wilson Rawls (and might I just add that assigning this book to 5th graders is twisted and cruel)

6. One book you wish had been written:
Deciding to Drop the Bombs: A Memoir - Harry S. Truman

The Anarchist's Cookbook

8. One book you’re currently reading:
A History of the World in Six Glasses - Tom Standage

The Middle East - Bernard Lewis

Posted by: The Tube at April 6, 2007 12:35 PM

Wow, another sci-fi addict. I had no idea.

1. One book that changed your life

Fear and Trembling -- Soren Kierkegaard. I am not a believer, but this was still a shocking book.

Oh God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"
Abe says, "Man, you must be puttin' me on"
God say, "No." Abe say, "What?"
God say, "You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin' you better run"
Well Abe says, "Where do you want this killin' done?"
God says, "Out on Highway 61." -- Bob Dylan

Dune -- Frank Herbert

War and Peace -- Leo Tolstoy. Always meant to read it.

4. One book that made you laugh

Pretty much any of Kurt Vonnegut's books made me laugh. Slaughterhouse Five has already been mentioned. The other one I loved was Cat's Cradle.

5. One book that made you cry

Death at an Early Age -- Jonathan Kozol.

6. One book you wish had been written

The LAST book in Robert Jordan's series. Enough, already!

Any number of unreadable "classics" I was asked to read in high school.

8. One book you’re currently reading

I just finished Pretender, the latest book in CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series. I only give this one an "above average" rating, whereas the series as a whole has been outstanding enough to get me to buy the hard covers instead of waiting for the paperbacks.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read

On the Origin of Species -- Charles Darwin The recent Galapagos TV special on (I think) the Discovery Channel piqued my interest in this book.

Posted by: Dave T at April 6, 2007 2:48 PM

Oh duh. I just finished Deliverer. Pretender was the one before it. Great series.

Posted by: Dave T at April 6, 2007 2:58 PM

Thanks for the mention, Shane. With basically three full-time occupations right now, I barely have time to read a newspaper, much less a book. I do, however, quite enjoy the books SABR puts out on baseball history. I also just purchased a seven-volume set of the works of John Wesley, which I hope to get around to reading sometime in the next few years.

Posted by: Jeff A at April 6, 2007 3:09 PM

Oh you people are such nerds...I used to get into trouble at school for picking on people like you!!!!

Posted by: kevin in az at April 6, 2007 6:24 PM

I can't resist:
1) "Consciousness Explained" - Daniel Dennett. This book had a lot to do with my decision in grad school to do research in natural language processing/speech recognition. Very interesting and readable by the layperson!

2) Normally I'm with Shane on this one, but I accidentally read Richard Feynman's "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out" twice.

3) Besides some sort of desert survival manual, I suppose maybe a physics textbook, just cause it would take me much longer to get through then a novel or something light.

4) Have to agree with Confederacy of Dunces and HHGG, but to be unique I'll add "Everything Is Illuminated" by Jonathan Safran Foer.

5) Well I wouldn't say "cry", but I definitely seemed to get a lot of stuff in my eye while reading Barack Obama's book Dreams From My Father.

6) The Language Instinct - Steven Pinker

7) The Bible - Just needling Shane a little bit

8) The Autobiography of Malcolm X - Inspired after reading Obama's book.

9) Atlas Shrugged - I'm about 4 pages in, but its just so intimidatingly thick.

Posted by: Tim M at April 6, 2007 8:40 PM

If any of you can read, check out "how I lost 5 pounds in 6 years" by Tom Arnold. Funnier than heck! if you can't read; have someone read it to you.

Posted by: STM at April 7, 2007 8:03 PM

Leave it to STM to be the ass. And this guy thinks his wife is a moron?!?

Posted by: freealonzo at April 7, 2007 10:52 PM

I can't remember who said it, but someone once said that if he was on a desert island, the book he would want is "A Basic Guide to Practical Shipbuilding".

Posted by: Jeff A at April 8, 2007 12:34 PM

Remember personal info?