< Thy Kingdom Come | Main | Everything is peachy ... right? >

Prepare for Glory

300movie.jpg

Last Thursday, Cheesehead Craig, Freealonzo, and I went to see the film 300 on the Minnesota Zoo's IMAX screen. Wow. That was a good movie. It probably depends on who you see it with. For example, I doubt I would have enjoyed it that much if I had seen it with my wife. But seeing it with two friends was perfect.

The film is, without a doubt, the manliest movie I have ever seen. That title was formerly claimed by Fight Club, but honestly, that movie is now a distant second. And maybe it was the IMAX experience, but watching 300 on that huge screen was like being bathed in testosterone for 2 hours straight. The film had it all: sacrifice, honor, war, glory, and many, many appendages being sliced off with blood shooting everywhere and stuff. Dude, it was awesome.

As Criag, Free, and I walked out of the theater and into the parking lot, I asked Free, "Which one of us do you want to fight first? Me or Craig?" As if channeling the voice of King Leonidas himself, Free answered in a booming voice, "Both of you!!!"

Harooh!! Harooh!! Harooh!!

Now, it has come to my attention that there are a lot of people that didn't like this movie. That is certainly understandable. What has surprised me, however, is how many different reasons there are not to like it. For example:

So, what camp are you in? Did you like the movie? Or did you not like the movie? Please fill out the poll below:

Did you like the movie 300?
Yes. It renewed my faith in cinema and made me proud to be a part of Western Civilization.
No. The film is homophobic and only people that hate gays would like it.
No. Disney does a better job with historical accuracy.
No. Did Karl Rove write the script? This is the most pro-war and pro-Bush movie I have ever seen.
No. I am of Persian descent and was sickened by this attack on our proud history.
No. For all of the reasons above and more.
I have not seen the movie and probably never will based on the reasons above.
I have not seen the movie but I really want to.

Free polls from Pollhost.com

Posted by snackeru at April 8, 2007 8:20 PM

Yes a manly movie made by manly men (and swishy CGI technicians) for men who are manly in their manhood.

The movie was definitely pro-war. The manly movie director was definitely equating the Persians with islamic fundamentalist terrorists and the Spartans as defenders of "our" way of life. I would say it was somewhat muddled as pro-Bush because the movie also blames the politicians as the reason why the Spartans eventually failed.

Also, I think 300 has already lost its place at the summit of manly fight movies. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLPuGuaZTx8

Posted by: freealonzo at April 8, 2007 10:29 PM

Great video clip Free. But to insinuate that Geraldo Rivera or Bill O'Reilly are more manly than the Spartans might earn you a Hot Gates type of beatdown. :)

As for the movie, yes, it wasn't historically accurate and the Spartans weren't fighting for the freedom of democracy, they were fighting for survival. This is common knowledge and for people to insinuate that the majority of people wouldn't know this is ridiculous (this was not aimed at you free).

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 9, 2007 8:33 AM

I voted "yes", and I haven't even SEEN the movie yet. That is how awesome it is.

Posted by: Drake33 at April 9, 2007 9:50 AM

I haven't yet seen 300, but plan to. On a stadium note, has anyone considered that Opat and fellow stadium proponents on the County Commission just might be smarter than we think they are?

Is it possible that the four men on the County Commission realized last summer that there just isn't enough money to make this happen? Is it possible that after a Chicken Tetrazinni and Crab Cakes dinner at Opat's house, that the boys called up Pogin and Lambrecht to bring over a Raspberry Cheesecake and help them to craft a plan whereby they would force the Twins to increase their contribution to make up the difference in all of this?

I can just see Opat struggling to get the Twins to increase their contribution and continuing to run into roadblocks. Then, he decides to hatch a scheme where they would create a site-specific bill that had numerous "aquisition-related" problems. They would tell the Twins that all was well, knowing all along that they needed another $50M from the Twins to close this deal.

Now, it appears that the Twins will get a ballpark, that site in need of development will be developed and increase the amount of business generated to that end of downtown, the public will have a palatable contribution of a 3 cents on every $20 tax, and Lambrecht and Pogin will get their money.

How's that for a conspiracy theory? Maybe this was all scripted months ago?

Posted by: Derek at April 9, 2007 2:06 PM

Tomorrow should be the day...

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2007/04/09/stadiumtalks/

Posted by: tato at April 9, 2007 8:11 PM

Stick to stadiums! Your other posts suck big time!

Posted by: sticktothesubject at April 11, 2007 11:38 AM

Thanks for the insight. Why don't you take your opinion and cram it up your ass? I write about what I want. Now go away.

Posted by: Shane at April 11, 2007 1:06 PM

I've known you for quite a while, Shane, and never recall you using such colorful language. Perhaps you should ban that guy...

Posted by: Curt Hanson at April 11, 2007 3:26 PM

What a movie! I just got back from seeing it, and was completely blown away. The political overtones to supporting your country in war where a bit over the top, but I truly thought the movie was amazing! I am definitely proud to be a member of Western Civilization.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at April 21, 2007 4:51 PM

This is a film based on a graphic novel that was first published in 1998. Now even I know (a guy from the UK) that G.W. Bush was elected in 2000... so where's all this pro-war, pro Bush horse shit coming from? Get real, it's a story about a war that was thrust upon them, not about kicking up a shit storm with Iraqis. The writer of the graphic novel said himself 'I have never been accused of being a realist'. He never expected anyone to take it for historical accuracy.
Next there's the queers who were upset. I have no problem with gays, but the Athenians really were 'boy' lovers. Hence the term 'paedophile' (Greek for 'boy lover'). They regularly practiced sexual practices with young boys (and girls). So unless you condone paedophilia, I suggest you eat shit.
And as for those of Persian descent.. Xerxes, the guy who took his thousands of slaves whom he conquered from undeserving countries and tried to conquer the Greeks, well I'd say that was good reason for us westerners to be biased.
And everyone else, can chew donkey dick... THIS FILM ROCKED.

Posted by: Rob at October 12, 2007 12:14 PM

Having watched 300 as part of my Alevel media it blew me away with spectacular action and cinamatography. The special effects of CGI to enhance Gerard Butler's already existing physique were brilliant. Overall i really enjoyed this film and it makes me doing Alevels worth the while.

Posted by: Tori at November 28, 2007 7:37 AM

Remember personal info?