< Things that make me happy | Main | The Last Starfighter >

Strawberry milkshakes

I made strawberry milkshakes this weekend. Man, were they ever good. Mmmmmm!

Milkshake

Posted by snackeru at May 7, 2007 8:47 AM

You pig!

Don't you realize that we're getting fleeced by the county in the Twins stadium deal and you're sitting around your house and pigging out on ice cream?

Obviously you don't care about the children and the homeless that this ice cream money could have gone too.

You had to add strawberries too? That money could have improved our roads instead of expanding your waistline. When you cannot fit into those seats at Boondoggle Field, don't come crying to me.

What about the lactose intolerant? Didn't you consider their feelings prior to posting a picture of ice cream? Insensitive doesn't even begin to describe you.

Posted by: Telemachus at May 7, 2007 9:08 AM

At least you had the decency to make the shake at home, instead of paying four to five times as much at Snuffy's or Fuddruckers!

Curt in Grand Forks (who can't wait to visit both Snuffy's and Fuddruckers later this summer)

Posted by: Curt Hanson at May 7, 2007 9:20 AM

I see you are busy expanding your 42 inch waistline in preparation for watching men run around in tight pants.

I hear voices (in my head) whispering that the stadium is about to come tumbling down like a house of cards! The secret meetings are going on nonstop!

Posted by: The Tube at May 7, 2007 9:56 AM

What about "the kids?" Did you make any for "the kids?"

And even if you did, do you realize how many more intellectual things you could have been doing with "the kids" instead of wasting your time making shakes? You obviously don't care about them or their health.

Weasel.

Jeff T.

Posted by: Jeff T. at May 7, 2007 10:13 AM

Strawberry malt? That's red isn't it? Obviously signifying the BLOOD spilt by those less fortunate than us who won't get the help they need because the County is busy building ballparks. Shane that blood is on your hands, I hope you enjoy that strawberry malt of yours.

Me, I prefer chocolate.

Posted by: Freealonzo at May 7, 2007 10:15 AM

Ah - mocking the less fortunate and the indigent. I can now cross off #17 on my countdown to armageddon checklist.

Posted by: Bob Loblaw at May 7, 2007 11:45 AM

Actually, we were mocking you and your ilk, Bob, for your comments. So even if you are yourself, less fortunate and indigent (which I doubt), that's not what was the target of our jibes. So I hope you used a pencil to cross out good ol' #17 ...

Posted by: The Tube at May 7, 2007 1:06 PM

Actually, Bob's comment allowed me to cross off #5 on my own list:

"Weep for an America filled with people that take themselves and their opinions way too seriously that they can't, even for a little while, get off their high horses and laugh a little."

So, thanks for that.

Posted by: Shane at May 7, 2007 1:12 PM

...at the expense of who? I think I'll hang around for the crippled and retarded jokes, those ought to be a riot.

Posted by: Bob Loblaw at May 7, 2007 1:35 PM

I think I'll hang around for the crippled and retarded jokes, those ought to be a riot.

When we get to the retarded jokes, then I think you will be entitled to take it personally. Get over yourself!

Posted by: The Tube at May 7, 2007 2:24 PM

Actually I was being serious.

Posted by: Telemachus at May 7, 2007 2:43 PM

When we get to the retarded jokes

I like "self deprecating" humor, I can't wait....

Posted by: Bob Loblaw at May 7, 2007 3:01 PM

Hey! Bob is mocking the less fortunate by making light of retarded people! Everyone cross off #17 on your list!

Shame on you Bob. How could you make a joke like that?

Posted by: Shane at May 7, 2007 3:14 PM

I did no such thing.

I merely pointed out "Tubes" commitment to get to retarded jokes, eventually; and expressed my excitment for the iminent arrival as well as my fondness for self deprecating humor.

Posted by: Bob Loblaw at May 7, 2007 3:18 PM

I'm just joking around with you Bob! Say, we all really just need to lighten up. I don't know how a post about strawberry milkshakes turned so snarky so fast.

Posted by: Shane at May 7, 2007 3:21 PM

Then I guess you should get things rolling! ;)

Ahhh ... too much fun. So, milkshakes, good stuff. What was the occasion? It certainly wasn't the weather ...

Posted by: The Tube at May 7, 2007 3:28 PM

I imagine Bob, mary, larry and others get off by being publicly contrarian. They probably go to Synagogue and testify about Jesus, only go to movies that are box office duds, handout copies of Fast Food Nation at their local McDonalds, and vote for Ralph Nader.

The fact is in regards to a new ballpark for the Twins, we won, they lost. If the price is few rantings from mary about another secret meeting or bob lording over everyone on his humorless high horse, I guess that's the price we have pay. That first day I smell freshly cut grass at Summit field and I have to put on my sunglasses and sun block before the first pitch because it's so dang sunny, I have a feeling that those guys guys will have zero impact on that day's enjoyment.

Posted by: Freealonzo at May 7, 2007 3:29 PM

It's because you're an insensitive pig, Shane. You and all your pro-billionaire subsidy ilk.

When the harsh light of the stadium truth is shone upon your site, you cowardly don't discuss it. You would rather put up an insensitive picture of a strawberry milkshake.

You sicken me.

Posted by: Telemachus at May 7, 2007 3:31 PM

I’m curious about the relationship, if any, between this article;
http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1166795.html
And the comments made by Mr. Coleman last week;

Fat lady ain't sung yet, and;

i am against the way it is being paid for. and that, dear friend, can change.

I’m also curious about Hines’s reactions described in the article. Surely they must’ve anticipated a “luke warm? reception from the County, all things considered. Yet, they approached them anyway, and expressed “surprise? by the County’s “standoffish? attitude.

-something brewing here doesn’t pass the smell test. I’m not crying “conspiracy? but actually it feels like Hines is setting a trap that will net them buckets of money. (way more than 13.75 million)

Posted by: Bob Loblaw at May 7, 2007 3:34 PM

OK, Bob makes some good and respectful points. I know for a fact the County is mystified by Hines at this point, and their relationship with LPII. Who is running what part of the show? Who is really in charge? Hines does stand to make oodles of cash, but the County's stance is, "Where do you get off treating us like this and then asking us for help in developing the property?" If Hines is so gung-ho about getting a public subsidy to develop the land around the stadium, then they should give the County the ballpark land for free. To fight the County tooth and nail to get a substantial increase in the price of the ballpark land, and then at the same time ask for a handout from the very people they are ticking off is just flat out confusing. Heck, I'm definitely confused about this whole mess.

Whatever though. Hines can't have both and I hope they are forcefully educated in this reality soon.

That is how I see it anyway.

Posted by: Shane at May 7, 2007 3:43 PM

I agree -- the "I'll eat my cake and have it too" attitude seemingly expressed by Hines is perplexing, to say the least. That makes me wonder if there is a disconnect somewhere. I would not think that an experienced developer like Hines would try to squeeze every last dime out of the condemnation process while simultaneously asking for a public subsidy from the same governmental body. If they are, that's pretty brazen.

Posted by: The Tube at May 7, 2007 3:48 PM

I agree. It seems like a clear cut “either, or? proposition. But whose call is it? I think it looks like Hines is putting the decision in the County’s lap. Or maybe the City, but either way – it appears like an ultimatum, the way it’s staged. Either get raped in court over the incredibly low value and jeopardize the stadium? (or some other infrastructure item Opat deems important and integral) Or “play ball? (pun intended) and throw a little more slop in the trough from “who cares where? and let’s develop the area?

Could Coleman have been referring to some form of “re-look? legislation that opens up the development area beyond it’s current limiting boundaries, thus freeing up the County/City to be more creative on TIF etc…to develop the whole area? More importantly, will this push the deal back? Will stadium detractors try to push this agenda to forestall construction and ???? (that was my “conspiracy? injection.)

Posted by: Bob Loblaw at May 7, 2007 3:52 PM

My casual and unofficial tally of fine strawberry milkshakes quantifies the following hierarchy of purveyors of the fine delicious flavour delights of a milkshake in the strawberry tradition:

1. Mr. Frosty, Astor Place, NYC (outside the KMart)
2. Annie's Parlour, Dinkytown
99. McDonald's, Everpresent (can this even be called strawberry?)

Posted by: Vicki at May 7, 2007 3:54 PM

Vicki! I love your list, but you have forgotten about Snuffy's:

http://www.snuffysmaltshop.com/

Or maybe (gasp!) you've never had a Snuffy's milkshake? You must fix this substantial oversight forthwith!

And Tube, I made my family milkshakes this weekend because 1) I knew they would taste good and 2) I had ice cream and strawberries. Plus, the more milkshakes I eat, the quicker I will go back to Cub Foods to buy more ice cream and strawberries thereby paying for more of the Twins stadium! Everyone wins!

Posted by: Shane at May 7, 2007 3:59 PM

Annie's does make a mean shake, and Snuffy's is right up there too.

The puzzling thing is that I don't think Hines wants to jeopardize the stadium. My understanding of their development plan is that the stadium is a centerpiece. So their two positions seem to be directly opposite one another.

Posted by: The Tube at May 7, 2007 4:03 PM

And Tube, I made my family milkshakes this weekend because 1) I knew they would taste good and 2) I had ice cream and strawberries.

And really, what more justification does one need? :) If only other cause/effect analyses could be so simple.

Posted by: The Tube at May 7, 2007 4:04 PM

sniff... you made them without me???

Posted by: Alex at May 7, 2007 4:19 PM

Remember Hines plain and simple are business(mostly)men. And one of the maxims of business is that "it's only business." To Hines fighting for the best deal possible on one deal has nothing to do with asking for subsidies on another. They are mutually exclusive, they beat each other over the heads on one deal but are best buds on this other deal. That's the way it works.

This has virtually no impact on the Twins ballpark. The condemnation is now in the hands of the courts, the lawyers, and the condemnation experts. The cost of the land will be determined regardless of what happens on the outside sites. I don't think this is a story because it may negatively impact the ballpark, it is a story because you have Hennepin County finding itself spending the last few months being beat up by Hines and now being wooed by Hines.

btw, the Malt Shop at 50th and Bryant and the Edina Grill at 44th and France both have wonderful malts.

Posted by: Freealonzo at May 7, 2007 4:20 PM

You had milkshakes?

I don't recall getting a call from you to come over...

Anywho, I gotta get you over to that roadside diner on Hwy 7. Their malts are better than Snuffy's.

Amazing how some people can turn a simple post about milkshakes into the stadium debate. Unreal.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at May 7, 2007 4:23 PM

Yes -- the 50th/Bryant Malt Shop has great malts. I forgot about that one with the St. Paul Malt Shop now gone.

I recognize that it's "just business," but this is like suing a car dealership for refusing to honor a warranty on one car while asking for a "deal" on buying a separate car. Now that I say that, maybe the message is: help us subsidize this development and we drop our resistance to the condemnation. That COULD be a win-win, but I'm not sure how it would work with the agreement the Twins and the County put together.

Posted by: The Tube at May 7, 2007 4:27 PM

My grandmother used to take me to the Convention Grill, which had outrageously good shakes and malts. Grandmas always know best. Snuffy's is super-good too.

Posted by: Neil at May 7, 2007 4:29 PM

A while ago, you said that you could post, "Hi, how's it going?" and it would turn into a stadium debate. I think you proved your point.

I like strawberry milkshakes, too, but chocolate is better.

Posted by: Jeff A at May 7, 2007 5:23 PM

That's the beauty behind Hines' position. They wouldn't have any leverage to gain subsidies had they "rolled over" on the stadium piece already. They can agree to negotiate IF they get favorable terms on the balance of their proposal.

Posted by: PN at May 7, 2007 5:35 PM

A couple things:

1) I loved the pre-emptive snark -- I was thinking the exact same when I saw the milkshake picture.

2) Shane, your milkshake ingredients wouldn't generate any stadium income, correct? Wouldn't they count as non-taxable groceries?

3) As much as we think otherwise, remember that Hines/LPII isn't "resisting condemnation" or any such thing. They may be delaying some aspects of the process, and contributing to our uncertainty about the project, but they simply know they will get the best land price from HC and the Twins by going ahead with condemnation rather than negotiation. They may not be winning friends in the process, but most folks are hard-pressed to identify exactly what Hines is doing improperly, if anything.

And as freealonzo pointed out, any development subsidies are completely separate from the land sale. It's hard to say without seeing the plans, but I wouldn't be surprised if many of the subsidies they seek come from other government bodies (an upgraded rail station could get funding at the state and federal level too) and/or in different forms (TIF, tax breaks, etc.).

Posted by: spycake at May 7, 2007 6:54 PM

29 more days and the story comes out. Counting down.

Posted by: illuminati at May 7, 2007 9:17 PM

Hey, I must take slight offense at some of Free's comments.

I enjoyed reading Fast Food Nation and even voted for Nader once.

I agree on both Annie's and Snuffy's having great milkshakes, but my favorite growing up was at Sully's Pub and Restaurant on Central Ave NE. Unfortunately, that closed recently after the owner let the business deteriorate, so I guess it's Annie's for me because I'm in Dinkytown a lot more often than Larpenteur/Lexington.

Posted by: Snyder at May 8, 2007 3:05 PM

Hey Mark sorry about that, I should have been more clear. I was trying to think of other examples similar to coming to Greet Machine and post about how bad the stadium is. For the record I thought Fast Food Nation was great (both the book and the movie) but I wouldn't try to give it away at a McDonalds.

Sorry, can't help you with the Nadar vote (unless it was in 1996)

Posted by: Freealonzo at May 8, 2007 11:05 PM

I doubt the stadium-haters would give away copies of Fast Food Nation at McDonalds, since that would probably involve spending money in order to have copies to give away and the haters hate nothing more than having to spend money. More likely, they'd come up to your table and start reading from it or maybe hit you with it.

I voted for Nader in 2000. Since MN still went to Gore, I don't feel guilty about it, though I might have felt differently if I lived in FL...

Posted by: Snyder at May 9, 2007 2:45 PM

You people are nuts!!! That was one good-lookin' milkshake....wish I had one!

Posted by: adnil at June 5, 2007 12:49 PM

Ha thanks a lot for this post. I loooooove milkshakes!!!

I want that one specifically lol.

Posted by: Milkshake Maker at January 29, 2010 12:34 AM