< Simple pleasures | Main | How do you like them apples? >

I like ...

This album ...

apocrypha.jpg

This book ...

lostthings.jpg

This movie ...

illusionist.jpg

But most of all, I like knowing I'll be at this ballpark this Saturday ...

millersat.jpg

Posted by snackeru at May 16, 2007 9:09 PM

And I shall be proud to join you. I'm really looking forward to the road trip and the games on Saturday and Sunday.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at May 17, 2007 9:02 AM

Agree with The Illusionist. I much preferred it over The Prestige. The Illusionist was shot beautifully. Of course, loved seeing David Bowie in The Prestige and it was a fine movie but The Illusionist just seemed to flow better. Look for Edward Norton in "The Painted Veil" based on the novel by W. Somerset Maugham. Warning: Have you ever read a HAPPY Maugham story?

Books, reading "My French Whore" by Gene Wilder. Yes, THAT Gene Wilder. Heard of it via my fav BBC podcast "The Daily Mayo" and the book is being made into a movie. Scary photo of the day (showing how we all age), you can see Wilder at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/radiofivelive/493678375/in/set-72157594279453367/

Album: Anything by Pink Martini

Posted by: Brian Maas at May 17, 2007 9:30 AM

Shane and Craig,

As I have never seen it in person, please report back on what you think about the outfield at Miller Park. I have been told that the big glass windows/wall make you feel like you are not truly outdoors; as if you are sitting in a soup bowl. But I would like your takes on it.

Posted by: Derek at May 17, 2007 1:53 PM

Shane-
I like that album also. It will be in my 07 top ten for sure.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jiminstpaul at May 17, 2007 2:12 PM

What's an "album?"

Posted by: Mike at May 17, 2007 2:23 PM

The Illusionist is way, way better than The Prestige. I agree with that whole-heartedly.

Derek, I will report back with my thoughts on this, but if at any point the sun is shining on the field, and I can feel the cool breeze on my face, I'm sure my report will be favorable regardless of the big glass windows.

Jim, what else are you listening to? For that matter, what is everyone listening to? Anything new and good that I may be missing out on?

And Mike, that gave me a chuckle. So true ... I must be getting old.

Posted by: Shane at May 17, 2007 2:27 PM

I expected that "what is an album" response from someone! That does date a person now. Soon it will be, "what is a CD?" for the iPod generation.

Other music to consider:
Are You Listening By: Dolores O'Riordan (she of the Cranberries). I've waited a long time for her solo release

Hey Eugene! By: Pink Martini. This is their new release but be sure and try all the ALBUMS!

Release the Stars By: Rufus Wainwright. Have to toss in one from left-field now and then.

Plus, try these groups:
Bebel Gilberto (for the Latin in all of us), Armik (for the people who love that flamenco-southwest guitar flair by the outdoor firepit), the now popular Arcade Fire, and last and not least...Savage Hogg which has my brother-in-law at lead vocals. In fact, I've been thinking about jumping back into podcasting to do a weekly "Super Shuffle" review of my favorite music. I just need to have a hugely popular blog from which to distribute it. Hmmm......

Posted by: Brian Maas at May 17, 2007 3:38 PM

About 3 years ago a friend and I went to the Turf Club in St. Paul to see the Handsome Family (Great Band!). Andrew Bird was the opening act. We really didn't think too highly of him although we acknowledged that he seemed very sensitive. We laughed when about 18 months ago there was practically a riot at the 7th Street Entry when the Andrew Bird concert was sold out and hundreds more wanted in. Now he has an acclaimed album and millions of followers. I woulda never guessed it based on that performance I saw but never underestimate the selling power of someone soooo sensitive.

Can't wait til Saturday!!!!!

Posted by: Freealonzo at May 17, 2007 4:20 PM

Derek,
I've been to Miller Park about 10 times. I love it. The seats, concorses, bathrooms are quite spacious (this is made for Cheeseheads after all) and the food gets constant ravings by baseball writers and fans. Plus, the sausage races. THE SAUSAGE RACES!!! It just doesn't get any better than that. Plus given I've gone with my best friend most of those, that helps too.

I can see how some people say that there is no "true" outdoor feel there. You cannot make a retractable roof stadium and still have that full outdoor feel. They simply can't coexist. The big windows were put there to at least get the outside light into the stadium to help give that feel.

It all depends on what your expectations are when going to the game. Like anything if you are looking for things that are wrong, you'll find them and just focus on them. If you have unrealistic expectations, then anything will disappoint. Go in and expect that you'll be comfortable in your seat, have good food and have a good viewpoint of the game, you'll have it and you'll enjoy the game and you'll leave happy.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at May 17, 2007 4:38 PM

my experience from miller park was this

1. yes, you feel inside, a little like camp snoopy (or whatever it's called now) at MoA
2. the murals are awesome
3. the grub was good
4. the beer was very sub-par (miller's sponsorship killed this)
5. the slide in left is neat

however, all things considered, would i rather have it sitting at 34 Kirby Puckett Place rather than what is there? You better believe it! Enjoy the games guys... and hey, if the twins keep this up, i'll be cheering for the crew this fall.

Posted by: CJ at May 17, 2007 5:19 PM

Ack!! "The Slide is Good"

My friend you obviously never made it to County Stadium. The Slide at County stadium went into a big stein of beer and bubbles came out of it when he slide down. Also the mascot was a real guy, probably hammered, and not this fakey face mascot. Miller Park has some cool things (Food, tailgating, open concourses) but the slide is a big letdown from what it once was.

Posted by: Freealonzo at May 17, 2007 5:59 PM

Free's right. They got a lot of flak from fans when the stein went away. Oh, and it was balloons that came out when he went in the stein.

Free, everyone that worked for the Brewers back then was hammered. The team was bad, real bad.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at May 17, 2007 6:21 PM

I don't envy you for having the good fortune of going to Miller Park. First of all, being inside that stadium feels like you're in some futuristic space ship. That is not a ballpark. I'm waiting to see aliens come walking out of the restrooms. Secondly, even when that stupid roof is open, it feels like an indoor game. Can you really call it an outdoor baseball game when all you have is a small opening over the playing field when the roof is open? That is hands down the worst, ugliest new stadium of the new ballpark era.

Posted by: Rocky Balboa at May 17, 2007 8:32 PM

Free was right on the money. I miss the beer slide immensely and County Stadium even more, though Miller Park is pretty awesome indeed.

Rocky doesn't know what he's talking about. Miller Park is well-designed and airy. Granted, some of the shadows cast during an afternoon game are kind of bothersome, but on the whole, it's one of the better parks I've been to.

Have fun, Shane and Craig! GO BREWERS!!!

Posted by: Vicki at May 18, 2007 8:22 AM

Beings how I've been there before, I think I have a clue as to what I'm talking about. I guess it's just a matter of personal opinion. All I know is when I was there, they closed that itty bitty hole in the roof in the 4th inning on a beautiful night presumably because the temperature dipped below 70 degrees (horror!). They've turned into pansies in Milwaukee just like the Metrodome has turned us all into pansies in Minnesota. I went to Kaufman park in KC last year and it was heads and tails above Miller Park. It didn't have as many bells and whistles, but that was the beauty of it. Miller Park is a stadium, not a ballpark.

Posted by: Rocky Balboa at May 18, 2007 8:57 AM

I have to agree on Kaufman Stadium... that thing is a gem.

As for Miller Park... I am that rare creature who greatly DISLIKES tailgating. I guess I'd rather get something at a local establishment before the game, and go somewhere for drinks afterwards. (maybe this comes from my experiences with the dome)

but i've never understood sitting on a lawn chair in a parking lot drinking and eating food off a grill... i dont think i ever really will "get it"

Posted by: CJ at May 18, 2007 10:14 AM

I'd love to go to Kaufman Stadium, that looks like a beauty.

As for Miller Park, different strokes for different folks.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at May 18, 2007 11:50 AM

Maybe next year Shane can organize a ballpark tour of Kaufman so that we can compare it to Best Buy Field at Summit Park when it opens in less than 3 years. KC is easy to get to and it appears that there is a lot of Twins fans there.

Posted by: Freealonzo at May 18, 2007 12:23 PM

CJ,

The Miller Park beer may be sub-par, but it's also far and away the cheapest cup of brew I've seen in the Majors. When I'm shelling out far too much money for a beverage, it's nice to get a little bang for your buck.

Posted by: Alex B at May 18, 2007 10:53 PM

perhaps, but cheap swill is still swill.

my one true hope for the new ballpark, a good variety of local brew on tap in more than one location. people will buy good beer if it's all that's available (be daring, dont put in a single line for light lager... people will fuss, and then try real beer... that'd be a start)

Posted by: CJ at May 20, 2007 1:24 AM

Man, I wish there was an outdoor stadium for me to sit in this afternoon.

Posted by: Brrrrrrr at May 20, 2007 12:04 PM

Anybody know if old Tiger Stadium has been demolished yet? What a shame that would be. The Tigers should be ashamed for ever leaving that relic. They could have renovated it and the improvements would have made it more than adequate. Demolishing that park is like demolishing Wrigley or Fenway. You just don't do it. Will Yankee Stadium be demolished when their new ballpark opens?

Posted by: Rocky Balboa at May 20, 2007 4:39 PM

I like big butts and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung

Posted by: drake33 at May 21, 2007 1:41 AM

Tiger Stadium is still around. It's basically abandoned though...

as for yankee stadium, it's being demolished when the yankees move, same with shea and the mets. both will open in '09. in a related note, how cool must it be for mets fans to watch their new park going up beyond the outfield fence?? their new park is either going to be a masterpiece or a disaster... not sure which yet.

by the way: http://media.startribune.com/smedia/2007/05/21/10/310-twinshole052207.standalone.prod_affiliate.2.jpg

believe it now, dirt hath been turned!

Posted by: CJ at May 21, 2007 1:38 PM

It is unfathomable that they will tear down Yankee stadium. All that history and they're tearing it down? Abominable. Wouldn't you think they'd want to just put a ton of money into renovating it rather than tearing it down and building a new one? It just seems unthinkable. Would they tear down Wrigley? Fenway? I heard that Tiger stadium will be torn down sometime this year. So much for tradition.

Posted by: Rocky Balboa at May 21, 2007 2:03 PM

Big whoooop!

Another colossal monument to remind everyone of government largesse, waste and misguided priorities.

Posted by: whopdeeedo at May 21, 2007 2:09 PM

Buildings eventually need to be torn down, that's life.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at May 21, 2007 2:10 PM