< I like ... | Main | Our trip to Milwaukee >

How do you like them apples?

turndirt.jpg

To say I never thought this day would come is an understatement. The first shovel full of dirt has been dug, and monkeys have flown out of my butt. It was painful, but worth it.

Surprisingly, there are no anti-stadium types chaining themselves to the entrance of the Rapid Park site, or laying down in front of the bulldozers. I'm serious, I fully expected that. Also, where are all the lawsuits people have promised that will keep this project from happening? It doesn't seem like that plan is working out either. Quite frankly, I'm a little disappointed.

Oh well ... I plan on going down to the site this Wednesday to take in the action. I may even start a one man wave to express my jubilation. It has been a long haul. It is nice to see some dirt finally being turned.

Posted by snackeru at May 21, 2007 2:03 PM

What time will you be there?

I shall meet you at that time and tell you what I think about you and your ilk. You have bankrupted generations of Minnesotans and deprived them of dozens of quality community programs that this money could have gone to.

Posted by: Telemachus at May 21, 2007 2:20 PM

I'm with you Telemachus!! How can the people who comment on this site can even sleep at night knowing that our pocketbooks are being fleeced to benefit a billionare? Just last week I had to pay a 19 cent Pohlad tax at Trader Joes. Just think how much better life would be without that tax and compounded interest.

Posted by: P.O.'d Taxpayer at May 21, 2007 2:36 PM

Telemachus-

2:30 Wednesday, behind the Ford Center.

Bring your A game.

;)

Posted by: tato at May 21, 2007 2:38 PM

Telemachus (if that is your real name), have you heard that we are building a new Twins stadium and there is nothing you can do about it? Did you hear that it is actually a state law passed by a Republican House and a DFL Senate, and signed by the governor?

Just wanted to point that out in case you had missed it. And P.O.ed, that 19 cents also went into a fund that will make me very happy. Thank you! I mean it!

Posted by: Shane at May 21, 2007 2:50 PM

I think I'm going to move to Wisconsin where the taxes are low! They know how to treat their citizens in America's Dairyland.

Posted by: P.O.'d Taxpayer at May 21, 2007 2:59 PM

"How can the people who comment on this site even sleep at night knowing that our pocketbooks are being fleeced to benefit a billionare?"

Can you really be so naive? Our pocketbooks are constantly being fleeced to benefit billionaires. At least in this case the public gets a tangible benefit.

Posted by: twayn at May 21, 2007 3:02 PM

P.O'd you truly are a dope! Please, move to Wisconsin, where residential property taxes are three times higher than Minnesota's residential property taxes. Also don't move to any of the 5 counties surrounding Milwaukee or you'll be paying for Miller Park. Don't move to Green Bay either or you will be paying for Lambeau Field improvements. Especially don't buy any clothes in Wisconsin because they apply the sales tax to that too.

In the immortal words of Boz Scaggs....

Posted by: Freealonzo at May 21, 2007 3:08 PM

P.O.'d - I'm originally from Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Can you inform me which Wisconsin you are going to move to "where taxes are low?" By the way, make sure to fill up with gas in Hudson. Because of the extra gas tax, you'll pay about 25 cents more a gallon.

Also, Wisconsin has a publicly-funded baseball stadium and publicly-funded renovated football stadium.

I believe you were thinking of Mississippi or Alabama. Now, that good livin' down there! They barely pave the roads!

Jeff T.

Posted by: Jeff T. at May 21, 2007 3:13 PM

Wow - freealonzo - we must think alike!

Jeff T.

Posted by: Jeff T. at May 21, 2007 3:16 PM

Shane, you read my mind by posting that picture. It is a BEAUTIFUL sight to behold.

It's so funny to see the "next-wave" of anti-stadium types hit this site upon hearing the "news" that the stadium will actually be built. Same old tired arguments (think of the children ... THE CHILDREN!!!) and empty threats (I'm moving to Wisconsin!!!). Keep 'em coming folks! I can always use a good laugh ...

Posted by: The Tube at May 21, 2007 3:29 PM

Freealonzo and Jeff T. sittin' in a tree.....

God this back slapping love fest makes me sick! Grow up, get a life, don't you realize they're taking away your ability to live life and spend money the way YOU see fit?

Have fun at your little tour on Wednesday, must be interesting to watch your own grave being dug (metaphorically of course).

Posted by: P.O.'d Taxpayer at May 21, 2007 3:30 PM

I can't believe this stadium is being built when we have all of these other problems. Clearly our education system and library system were not having any funding issues prior to the passage of the stadium bill, thus one can correctly conclude that the stadium is the direct cause of the other funding issues.

/sarcasm.

Today is a good day. I'll be stopping by Wednesday night after flying home from Detroit.

Posted by: IowaWigman at May 21, 2007 3:39 PM

Freealonzo and Jeff T. sittin' in a tree?

That's weak.

Jeff T.

Posted by: Jeff T. at May 21, 2007 3:39 PM

Kare11 ran an "expose'" last night, a part of which showed McLaughlin chastising Sheriff Stanek for a $300,000 request the Sheriff had made for a public safety item.

I thought it was quite ironic for him to be taking this stand on an amount that was one thousand times less than the amount he voted to give to the Twins.

Posted by: comical at May 21, 2007 3:47 PM

The Boob Tube - Maybe the same arguments are used as no good answers have ever been provided. But, that might be common sense which you seemingly lack.

Shane - Yep, it's a state law. I'm not arguing that it isn't. There were also state laws for segregation. So given that, you then believe it was right to practice segregation, since it was a state law and all. You know, which was passed by the legislative bodies and signed by a governor.

Posted by: Telemachus at May 21, 2007 3:49 PM

1. you don't pay taxes on food in MN so your Trader Joes comment is either a lie or you bought a kayak.

2. in Wisc. the ENTIRE STATE paid for a Lambeau renovation, and yes, the Milwaukee area paid for Miller Park, and then their is the property tax rate. maybe you should move to ND, wait... they paid for the Fargodome and Alerus center... how about SD... oops they're building an arena in Sioux Falls... you can't escape it! there's more fleece than at Old Navy in October!

3. read up on public financing you haters... our taxpayers actually got a better deal than most.

cheers all around greet machiners... the day is here! i'll be heading over there this week too, just to see it and smile... hell, the stadium authority should consider putting up an observation deck...

Posted by: CJ at May 21, 2007 3:51 PM

Yeah! according to CJ we should be happy we got screwed less than other communities. I'll remember that when Opat stadium is 7/8ths empty on cold September day with the Twinkies in last place....we got screwed less...yeah, rah rah.

Posted by: rejoice at May 21, 2007 4:06 PM

It's pretty obvious that telemachus and p.o.'d are just intellectually frustrated rubes who need to spew inane drivel because that's all they have in their itty-bitty little lives.

Actually Greet Machine provides a public service because if these mental midgets weren't able to vent here, who knows what socially-unacceptable route their untapped anger would take?

Me, I'll just bask in the glory of a soon-to-be-built ballpark and wear their angst on my sleeve like a badge.

Posted by: Freealonzo at May 21, 2007 4:07 PM

Wow, you question the almighty Greet Machiners and you get nothing but people who talk down to you as they have an inferiority complex.

I give an example as to why just saying "it's a state law" is a weak argument and I'm called an "intellectually frustrated rube" by a guy who's main argument are Boz Scaggs lyrics. Dear heavens, you make Cheeseheads look like the ruling council of MENSA. I'm surprised you can breathe and type at the same time.

Posted by: Telemachus at May 21, 2007 4:17 PM

Telemachus-

Based on your absurd strawman argument regarding segregation laws , I am inclined to believe that Freealonzon is right!

Posted by: Tato at May 21, 2007 4:35 PM

tele-

here's a couple of questions for you.

if it's so all-fired bad, why is it that the legislators who carried the bills were reelected in november? why were the county commissioners who approved it, and indeed developed the plan reelected in november? why was the governor who supported it reelected?

if this was so terrible, how is it that NOBODY involved in the process was booted out in November, in a year where incumbent was already a four letter word?

as the old saying goes, "elections have consequences" and in this case, the consequence is that the voters have spoken, and they've said "play ball"

Posted by: CJ at May 21, 2007 4:51 PM

I'm just glad the monkeys are finally free. Fly, monkeys, fly!

Posted by: Jeff A at May 21, 2007 4:53 PM

But where will the Vikings fans tailgate this fall? That is (was!) the Vikes official tailgate lot, was it not? Maybe Carl wrote Dr. Evil-Zygi a check for, oh, one BILLION dollars!?!?!

This will be fun to watch. When the Arizona Cards built their new stadium they had a webcam. Will the Twins have a webcam for people to chart progress?

Posted by: Brian Maas at May 21, 2007 5:00 PM

Wow!! Today is my birthday...my kids and wife called me at work this morning to sing happy birthday. I was able to sneak away from work for a bit and play a round of golf. Said family grills me up some steaks, and then I come here and see the breaking of ground for our new stadium... yes!! Top it off with a bunch of sore losers whining (after the stinkin fact) and life couldn't be better.

...and oh... do you all realize you are whining on a pro-stadium site??? Of course you will get blasted by the Greet Machiners... if you can't take the heat, don't type stupid comments. You don't see us going onto the cry-baby anonymous site and rage against your ilk, do you??

Posted by: zooomx at May 21, 2007 6:19 PM

as regards to them apples? I like them baked in a pie with a scoop of ice cream... coincidentally my birthday dessert being baked as we speak.

Posted by: zooomx at May 21, 2007 6:40 PM

Shane,

What time will you and your buddies be there on Wednesday? I'm going to throw the wife and kids in the car and take a drive up myself. What a great time to be a Twins fan. BTW, I can't wait to freeze my butt off on a cold September night. Although, I'll probably be dressed appropriately so the cold won't be an issue. After all, I do have a brain. It is unreal how many whiners are upset about not having a retractable roof.

Posted by: Rocky Balboa at May 21, 2007 6:49 PM

Stupid arguments are just as stupid as stupid rationalization. The most compelling arguments for either side can be summed up as; pro-I want a stadium no matter how much it costs or who it harms and to that end, this deal makes me happy, or; con-I don't care about a stadium as long as I don't have to pay for it.

One group rationalizes imposing on the other.

CJ, if I read one more post about legislators being vindicated through re-election, I think I'll throw up. Neither of the HC legislators that didn't directly benefit by this coup voted for it and rarely do immediate actions have immediate consequences in politics. The true measure of public support for this project will be voiced in upcoming elections. How many of the politicos still in office when this opens will tell the story, especially as its cost overuns are highlighted against a failing economy and 4 dollar per gallon gas.

Posted by: whodat at May 21, 2007 7:51 PM

Brain?, dress appropriately? yea, that's what everybody wants, a venue you have to wear a parka to. The people with brains will be staying home.

Oh, don't push the "hardy Minnesotan" arguement either. Look around hunyuck! That dream is less real than your romantic view of baseball. Cold weather pride died in 1982.

Posted by: getaroof at May 21, 2007 8:02 PM

What a great picture that is.

Yup! Theres a ballpark being built here!

Posted by: kms at May 21, 2007 8:09 PM

I walked over to the site today on my lunch and it was an awesome thing to see....there was a big hole right in the middle of the parking lot.

For all you stadium haters.....get over yourself!!!!

Posted by: MOJO at May 21, 2007 8:15 PM

Left to right (groove) work me all night
Come on let's sweat (sweat sweat) baby
Let the music take control (control control)
Let the rhythm move you
Sweat (sweat sweat) sweat
Let the music take your soul (soul soul)
Let the rhythm move you
Everybody dance now

Da da da da da da da da da da da da
Da da da da da da da da
Da da da da da da da da da da da da

Go Twins!
Go Twins

Posted by: Franklin at May 21, 2007 9:00 PM

Tato - My argument is only as absurd as the blog owner's argument he made. He stated that since the stadium was a law, therefore it is good and that is the end-all be-all of the argument. I gave an instance of a law that per his logic must be good. No strawman argument here. It's an apples to apples argument. "How 'bout them apples?" to borrow the title of this post.

Shane, any reponse to this or will you simply hide behind your lackeys?

CJ - The general masses care little about national politics as shown by low voter turnout, and even less about local politics beyond the governor level. The vast majority don't know or care who the HC commissioners are or what they do. They see "incumbent" on the election form and just vote there. There is such apathy and ignorace amongst the masses about politics that it's astounding. Unless it involves sex the populace could care less about any politician and voter consequences.

How else does one explain how our esteemed President is still in office (for a second term nonetheless)? How is Ted Kennedy still a Senator? Simple. People simply have a great apathy that nothing they do matters when it comes to politics.

Take 100 random people at say a Cub Foods store, I bet more will correctly know who fathered Anna Nicole Smith's baby than who Barak Obama is. That's the status of our political machine. To expect any organized "revenge" from this group on politicians is laughable.

Posted by: Telemachus at May 21, 2007 10:23 PM

i dont know about that... i would point out that in a very large and very real sense the 2006 election was very much organized revenge.

incumbents dont get voted out like they did in 06 very often... the public was pissed about things at the national and state level, and sent the GOP packing. in a state with 60% voter turnout, that's not a small thing. as an aside, 60%, or even 50% turnout is damn impressive. you cant 50% of people to do anything... that's a huge participation rate.

i would also point out that here in St. Paul, one action by our Mayor in 2004, made him our former Mayor in 2005... people paid attention, and he paid the price for that decision. if voters are upset enough, they'll do something about it.

Posted by: CJ at May 22, 2007 12:25 AM

Greet Machiners, SWARM!!!

Posted by: drake33 at May 22, 2007 12:37 AM

Actually, I was thinking about the election, and the surge of anti-stadia, anti-taxation posters here, and I was wondering who had all this time on their hands. Who on earth would possibly spend time on a pro stadium message board simply to hurl insults...
Who my friends, who?

Is it Phil Krinkie?? The cruisader? Maybe it is...

Posted by: drake33 at May 22, 2007 12:41 AM

That'd be funny if telemachus, P.O.'d Taxpayer, STM, etc were actually Phil Krinkie. Oh the irony.

I'd love to see telemachus get caught by speeding:

Officer: Sir, did you know you were speeding?

Telemachus: Officer, did you know that segregation was legal? That was a bad law therefore speeding is a bad law. All I did was break a bad law!

Officer: Tell it to the judge, that will be $135.

Also, I don't know who fathered ANS's child but then again I shop at Rainbow.

Posted by: Freealonzo at May 22, 2007 7:36 AM

What does this article?

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1197192.html

Have to do with your beloved stadium?

COST INCREASES! I can’t wait to come back here in a couple of years and read how you pro stadium cabbage heads now abhor your atrocity. It’s only a matter of time before your beloved Opat gets out his red pen and starts slashing the amenities while trying to talk each one of you off the ledge. I long to identify the exact moment in time when all of you realize that what you’ve pined for and been promised all along will fall exceedingly short of your expectations. And to witness this albatross being appropriately hung around Opat’s neck.

That experience will truly define the phrase “be careful what you wish for…because you just might get it.?

I really hope that's true!

Posted by: Judge Dread at May 22, 2007 7:51 AM

Enough about all that Twins business, how was the Brewer game at Miller Park last weekend?! You guys got a couple wins on us, because we forgot that sometimes you have to bring your offense AND your defense AND your pitching. We remembered on Sunday, though.

Posted by: Vicki at May 22, 2007 8:19 AM

Wow, I have never been called a "lackey" before! Does this also mean that I am part of Shane's entourage?

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at May 22, 2007 8:36 AM

The general masses care little about national politics as shown by low voter turnout, and even less about local politics beyond the governor level. The vast majority don't know or care who the HC commissioners are or what they do. They see "incumbent" on the election form and just vote there. There is such apathy and ignorace amongst the masses about politics that it's astounding. Unless it involves sex the populace could care less about any politician and voter consequences.

Now who's doing the "talking down"? Tele, should I consult with you before I vote next time? I think I'm a member of the "mass."

Your argument is so typical: I don't like the result, it's clearly wrong, and the only way such a result could be achieved is if everyone else is stupid. That's putting your own ideas on a pretty high pedestal.

I long to identify the exact moment in time when all of you realize that what you’ve pined for and been promised all along will fall exceedingly short of your expectations.

Wow. Nothing petty about that post. I love how people come to this site to parade about everything that is ugly, small-minded, and ignorant about them from the safety of anonymity.

Posted by: The Tube at May 22, 2007 9:35 AM

Boob Tube - If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

Please point out where I have made a factual error. This is common knowledge about politics. Nothing I said was inaccurate.

I love how people come to this site to parade about everything that is ugly, small-minded, and ignorant about them from the safety of anonymity.

That is such a great description of yourself and those who post attacking those of us who dare question this project. Well done!

Posted by: Telemachus at May 22, 2007 10:20 AM

Oh I can take it. I was just responding to your "cry me a river" whine-fest wherein you stated:

Apparently your own comments and observations are above criticism and rebuke.

And "factual error"? That's a good one. Now your own opinions about the state of the electorate are "facts." That's rich.

Also, can we please move past the name-calling? What are you hoping to accomplish by calling me "Boob Tube"? It does nothing to make your own view more credible, and actually has the opposite effect. Why should I, or anyone else, take you seriously when you act in that manner?

I'm glad I was able to help you out. Although I'm surprised that you would adopt my thoughts as your own, seeing as how I have to pause while typing to breathe, had to tear myself away from the Hollywood gossip pages to type this post, and am merely a member of the uninformed and apathetic "mass" that you so loathe.

Posted by: The Tube at May 22, 2007 10:40 AM

Struck a nerve there Tube-Top? You don't seem to handle criticism very well. Talk about a whine-fest.

How am I above criticism? I invited and challenged you to prove me wrong. Don't blame me if you couldn't do it.

As for the name calling, judging by the history of the posts here from both sides, it seemed welcome and practically manditory.

I don't loathe the uninformed masses. I pity them, like I do you.

Posted by: Telemachus at May 22, 2007 10:57 AM

Yawn.

Posted by: The Tube at May 22, 2007 11:37 AM

Shane --

I think the little girl in the moon is the daughter of Frederick Miller. At least, that's what I remember from my tour of the brewery 17 years ago. Did they not show a little video presentation to you about the history of the brewery? Must be the stadium tax that forced them to cut that out. :)

Posted by: SBG at May 23, 2007 9:31 AM