< Our trip to Milwaukee | Main | Yesterday I said something naughty >

An alternative view

First of all, let me say that Rick over at Twins Ballpark 2010 is doing just a phenomenal job keeping us all informed on the progress of the construction of the new ballpark. His photography and insight into the project is a joy to view. What I hope to do is just supplement his already incredible work.

Yesterday, Freealonzo and I walked around the site and took some "alternative view" pictures. Namely, pictures of the grounds looking in from left field. For each of these pictures, you may click the picture to get a larger view.

twinsball1.jpg

Again, this is a shot looking in from left field. To put it into perspective, the blue handicap parking area furthest to the right is close to where second base will be. Right now, it is hard for me to imagine a ballpark being built on this rather nondescript and, quite frankly, ugly piece of land.

twinsball3.jpg

This a shot further to the left of what eventually will be right field and the "plaza" we hear so much about. If you click on the image for the larger view, you will see that I have highlighted the right field foul pole in red for your convenience.

twinsball5.jpg

A closer shot of the plaza area. Again, click on the image for a larger one. It is hard to imagine all these roads being taken away and/or altered to make way for the plaza. It should be interesting to watch this develop.

twinsball4.jpg

Next the plaza will be this parking garage, and although we have heard the walls on top of this garage are eight feet high, I think it is a guarantee there will be some birds-eye view seating options up there once the ballpark is opened.

twinsball6.jpg

Finally we have the first hole dug in the concrete and dirt, a tangible example of actually construction taking place. This is known as a "hot spot" and it is where they have decided to first dig to test the soils and all that mumbo jumbo. There will be some other "hot spots" dug in the coming weeks as they clear the land. Freealonzo and I also noticed some construction or maintenance on the sewer lines surrounding the ballpark which is alluded to in this article posted on the Twins web site.

It is difficult to imagine or fathom the myriad of details and potential (and real!) problems that must be dealt with concerning a construction project of this size and magnitude. Luckily the County and the Ballpark Authority only had to deal with a handful of land owners to get this far. I've been told that to construct the ballpark in San Diego between 30-40 land owners had to be appeased. Hopefully this will give these entities more time to worry about everything else, and there will definitely be more to worry about as time goes on.

So, that is my contribution to the monitoring of the construction so far. I expect though that Rick at Twins Ballpark 2010 will continue to wow us all with his postings over the next 3 years. I must admit, I am very short-sighted when it comes to the ballpark and especially the surrounding area. Will there be a field where the Twins can play ball? Check. Will there be some stands where I can watch the Twins play ball? Check. OK, I am good to go.

If any of you are taking pictures of the construction, I am considering putting together a page that will document the progress. So, send me your pictures! Together we might be able to put together a pretty slick little site. Until later!

Posted by snackeru at May 23, 2007 7:55 PM

Nice work Shane....I have to piggyback your comments about Rick's website.....It is awesome!

I was surprised when I walked over there to only see a couple holes in the ground....I expected half the pavement to be gone.

Go Twins!

Posted by: MOJO at May 24, 2007 9:22 AM

Shane,
Do you happen to know if the Twins plan to put up a construction webcam for the stadium? I recall that other teams did when they were building new stadiums, and it was cool to check in once in a while to see the progress. Plus, by collecting one picture a day over the next several years and animating them, you could make an awesome time-lapse video of the stadium going up.

Posted by: twayn at May 24, 2007 11:31 AM

I'm excited to see this underway!

The cynic in me, though, looks at that tiny little hole in the middle of the parking lot with not a worker to be found and thinks, "It's gonna be a LONG three years!"

Posted by: tato at May 24, 2007 12:59 PM

I'm not sure if the Twins are planning a construction cam or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. In fact, I've been told that another Pohlad company recently purchased the Ford Centre right next to the ballpark site. That would be a great place for a camera. And good idea on just using that to take a number of snap shots!

It will definitely be a long three years. There will be periods of great excitement, followed by months of nothing. Should be fun, nonetheless.

Posted by: Shane at May 24, 2007 3:54 PM

I just walked to the site and there is a whole lot of nothing going on. There was one crane and it was just sitting there...maybe if they put some people to work we could have it done by opening day 2008.

Posted by: MOJO at May 24, 2007 4:42 PM

If they doing soil testing they want to get the results before the do further digging. Remember they will have to remove about 2 feet of soil from the entire site, what's in that soil determines where its final resting spot will be.

This is the fun time. Some know I was at the Mpls Public Housing Authority and worked on the demolition and rebuilding of the "projects" west of downtown on Highway 55. I saw those buildings shuttered, torn down, the site sit vacant, then a new neighborhood with streets, parks, homes all built in its place. There was condemnations, parcel assembly, politics, and issues of race, class, and equity all rolled into one. This is nothing compared to that believe me.

Anyway the site construction phase is a blast to watch and a photo library is a great idea Shane.

Posted by: Freealonzo at May 24, 2007 5:28 PM

Hey everyone.

I've got an answer for you about the construction webcam. I had the same question and emailed the Ballpark Authority on Monday evening to ask if they were installing the webcam or if the Twins would be. I received a reply Tuesday morning which follows:
"The Twins will have a webcam up on the construction site in about two weeks. You will be able to view it from their website at www.twinsbaseball.com."

Good news. It'll be nice to check and see the progress they've made if I can't make it downtown.

Posted by: Mylometer at May 24, 2007 7:25 PM

Thanks for the update on the construction cam, Mylometer. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Posted by: twayn at May 25, 2007 10:25 AM

For those interested, below is the link to the TCF Stadium construction web cam.

http://128.101.28.100/view/indexFrame.shtml

Nothing going on right now, although behind this cam there is a lot of infrastructure and road work happening.

Posted by: Freealonzo at May 31, 2007 3:17 PM