< Random thoughts | Main | Speechless >

Summer

andersbase.jpg

I have enjoyed this more than I can put into words. I'm going to miss it when it is over.

See you all in a couple of weeks!

Posted by snackeru at July 20, 2007 2:20 PM

Kids playing ball. What could be better than that?

Posted by: Jeff A at July 20, 2007 4:35 PM

That is outstanding. I have a son who plays in the Midway Little League (Dunning fields by Concordia) and the other plays machine-pitch at North Dale. These kids truly play for the love of the game.

I'm a little bummed it's coming to an end.

Jeff T.

Posted by: Jeff T. at July 20, 2007 10:15 PM

Since when did Hoigaards starts sponsoring the Greet Machine?

Posted by: freealonzo at July 21, 2007 10:32 PM

It's the business side of baseball that's uglier than sin!

Posted by: bigbusiness at July 22, 2007 9:58 PM

Hey even though Shane's gone this week doesn't mean we can't talk ballpark! Check out this article from the Village Voice on new Yankees Stadium. Cost to the taxpayer: $661 million!

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/runninscared/archives/2007/07/yanks_reach_fir.php

Posted by: Freealonzo at July 23, 2007 12:35 PM

Hmmmm. I think that if the intangible costs were tallied for our little "park" people would be surprised. Is the Northstar and trolley commuter rail stations figured in our total? I don't see anywhere in the article where it talks about an additional tax being imposed to pay for only a stadium? I think we hold that distinction.

Posted by: really? at July 23, 2007 2:06 PM

I hope you like Carlos Silva....rumor has it he bought a house here.

Posted by: Silvafan at July 23, 2007 2:55 PM

I like Carlos Silva just fine.

He pitched a good game on Friday night and has bounced back nicely so far from his struggles last season.

Posted by: Snyder at July 23, 2007 3:13 PM

8 and 10 with a 4.6 ERA? I guess in todays MLB (mediocre league of baseball), that's worth keeping around for what? 5 to 7 mill a year?

Posted by: Darren at July 23, 2007 4:18 PM

Considering that Barry Zito is 7-10 with a 5.00 ERA after signing a 7-year/$126 million dollar contract this past offseason or seeing what the Yankees have gotten from Carl Pavano during his 4-year/$40 million dollar contract, yes, I feel pretty good about what the Twins are getting from Silva so far for his $4.3 million contract this year.

Posted by: Snyder at July 23, 2007 4:34 PM

How can that make you feel good? if you hope that the Twins are competitive again in your lifetime, you better hope they get a lot more for their money than that. There's no way they can/will invest enough to keep who they have to, to win!

Posted by: momoney at July 23, 2007 6:46 PM

Who's the odd man out between Morneau and Santana?

Posted by: Bob at July 23, 2007 10:37 PM

I agree with Snyder. 12 years or so ago Kirby Puckett was the highest paid baseball player at $3.0 million a year. Now Kyle Lohse makes 50 percent more than that. Doesn't mean Kyle Lohse is a better player than Puckett, it just means that the market for pitchers has sky rocketed. You need to compare players salaries to players of similar skills/results. Is paying Carlos Silve over $4 million dollars outragous? Of course it is, but compared to what similar pitchers are making, it's about right.

Posted by: Freealonzo at July 24, 2007 8:29 AM

Paying Silva this year wasn't the point. If he indeed did sign a yet to be announced "new deal" at the levels supported by the Zito and Pavano examples? that doesn't leave much else....

Posted by: Silvafan at July 24, 2007 12:33 PM

Twinkies now have to play .698 ball to get to 95 wins.

Posted by: Stickafork at July 24, 2007 12:52 PM

I think Silvafan is missing the point. The point is that the Twins don't give out new deals at the level supported by the Zito and Pavano examples, at least not to players of Silva's caliber.

Otherwise, Silva would have gotten something like the Pavano deal two years ago when his contract was last up since if you look at their career numbers, they're not so far apart...

Posted by: Snyder at July 24, 2007 1:14 PM

Well, if the rumor that he bought a house here is true, he most likely would not do that unless a long term deal was done, or was imminent. And if those examples you made were of the current market for "like caliber" pitching; to entice Silva into a long term deal, the Twins would have to offer similar money, wouldn't you say? and if they did, I'm saying "they made a mistake."

Posted by: Silvafan at July 24, 2007 3:02 PM

If Silva had signed an extension, the Twins would have announced it. They would have absolutely no reason not to. But even if they did, in this age of the 24/7 news cycle, I'm sure someone in the know would have leaked it to either ESPN or some local news source.

So I'm guessing either the rumor he bought a house here is false, or if it is true, he was somehow able to dig out enough spare change from the several million dollars he's already earned so far as a major league baseball pitcher to purchase a house. Given that he's been with the Twins for four years now, I'm kind of surprised he hadn't bought a house here already...

Posted by: Snyder at July 24, 2007 4:22 PM

Posted by: Snyder at July 24, 2007 4:23 PM

I have a fleeting suspicion that "stickafork" is STM, reincarnated. Now that the stadium debate is over, are we really going to have to listen to hip ripping on the Twins? What's next? If the Vikings go 1-2 to start off the season, are we going to hear about that too?

Posted by: Aaron at July 25, 2007 8:08 AM

The purple pansies will win 5 games this year if they're lucky...TAKE IT TO THE BANK!

Posted by: kevin in az at July 25, 2007 10:09 AM

Sooooooo, 2 more than the Cards? got it!

Where's the bonehead that was promising a couple T.V. blackouts this year? you must be the same guy.

Posted by: AdrianP. at July 25, 2007 12:55 PM

Sorry STM, I'm not a Cards fan..I'm actually a Vikings season ticket holder since 1967 so I have the right to call them the purple pansies and to call them as i see them.

Get used to it, this team SUCKS!

Posted by: kevin in az at July 26, 2007 7:20 PM

Ticket holder since '67? that explains alot! you're fricken senile. Only a fool would pass judgment without seeing the product. You're just guessing. There is little about this team that sucks and much that hasn't been tested yet or proven. We'll see if you're still around come week 6.

Posted by: Crazy at July 26, 2007 7:46 PM

i'll be around...in sec 109 if you want to come over and visit.

Posted by: kevin in az at July 26, 2007 8:07 PM

Are you not also passing judgment on the team having yet to see the product, albeit in a more positive manner? As you say, Kevin is just guessing. At this point, so are you.

Admit it. Sometimes when people disagree, that's all that is going on. It doesn't mean that someone is stupid, senile, or a fool. Resorting to ad hominem attacks only damages your credibility. But then, you have little left to lose, on this site.

Vikes will struggle to be a .500 team this year. But if Williamson's "hand training" allows him to catch the ball and TJ has some accuracy, fans will still fill the seats to see the bombs a la The Super Freak and Cunningham.

Posted by: The Tube at July 27, 2007 9:56 AM

I'd rather sit through a 5-11 Vikes season than a .500 Twins season. What a bunch of losers! Fire Gardenhire AND Ryan - it's time to clean house, these guys are way over matched when it comes to getting the most out of your players. Yea, they're genius's when the rest of the division is crappy, but make them have to work a little, and they don't stand a chance!

Posted by: pppfft at July 28, 2007 2:30 PM

These were Johan Santana's words Tuesday after the non-waiver trade deadline passed without another trade: "I'm not surprised. That's exactly how they are. That's why we're never going to go beyond where we've gone."

HA! HA! suckers!

Posted by: Dean at August 1, 2007 6:59 AM

What does this mean for 1 Santana Place?

That's why Ortiz said he thinks Santana will leave.

"He will," Ortiz said. "I guess he will. First of all, they're not going to pay him what he can get. You know that. Everybody knows that. That's not news. And second of all, look at what he just said. Hopefully we get the chance to mess him up. That would be interesting. He'd love to come here, I tell you that. Homeboy coming back to his homeboy. It'll be interesting to see where those guys [Santana and Hunter, a prospective free agent this winter] go."

Gee - I gotta go shopping to pay for a new stadium....(heel)

Posted by: Derek at August 2, 2007 9:35 AM

Wow, Nick Coleman is a D-O-U-C-H-E!

I suppose the troops dying in Iraq is also the ballpark's fault! The bombing of Pearl Harbor Twenty years before the Minnesota Twins even existed.. The new Twins' ballpark's! Is there anything that isn't the ballpark's fault to that scumbag?!

Can't wait til the groundbreaking does happen so I can send a "neener neener neener!" email to Nick "I won't blame lots of tax dollars going to the guthrie on anything, even though that's the same thing" Coleman! D-bag!

Posted by: I Want Answer at August 2, 2007 7:17 PM

You ignoramus's can't seperate art from entertainment or public from private. Shut up and enjoy your stadium while the rest of and the majority of the public regets not stopping it when we had the chance.

The article is about priorities. Opat the Governor and any other legislature that supported this stadium had just as well knocked the legs out from underneath that bridge.

Posted by: ignorantsluts at August 2, 2007 9:49 PM

What Coleman said was absolutely true. You people should get your priorities straight. The ball park will be a monumental waste of money on something nobody needs. What a joke!

Posted by: thetruth at August 3, 2007 11:32 AM

Wow, idiots come out of the woodwork to defend Nick "I have nothing against public money gong to the Guthrie" Coleman! Guess what losers, you LOST!! The stadium IS gonna be built! So get use to to it! Whiney crybabies, here's your binkies, now scram!

Posted by: I Want Answer at August 3, 2007 1:19 PM

"You ignoramus's can't seperate art from entertainment or public from private." I'll take entertainment over art any day of the week. The rampant intellectual, cultural, and socio-economic snobbery present in the art world is despicable. The stadium had nothing to do with the collapse of the bridge, although I was not surprised that Coleman linked them.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at August 3, 2007 2:52 PM

I don't think Coleman is suggesting that the bridge fell because of the stadium, I think he's just condemning (or trying to) the legislators for addressing entertainment before infrastructure or the subjective over the necessary.

Nobody (I hope) would pick building a stadium over repairing or replacing a structurally deficient bridge. The err was in ignoring or just plain old 'not thinking' about what is needed while focusing so much attention and dollars only on what is desired. His rant was that we should expect more from our elected officials and I think he's right.

Posted by: Barry at August 3, 2007 3:02 PM

Kudos' man!

The stadium is a cadillac. Everybody would like to own a Cadillac; but you might have to drive a Toyota instead in order to keep the house in repair.

Posted by: amenbrother at August 3, 2007 3:08 PM

The bridge is more of a national issue than a state issue anyway. The US gov't has been ignoring the infrastructure of cities north of the mason-dixon line for years. It's time the penny-pinching, conservative feds realize that our country is getting older and we need to invest in our roads instead of paying for a ridiculous war and sending tax cuts to those who make over $200,000 per year.

I think Nick Coleman is being silly by relating the stadium to the bridges, he's right on when it comes to our FEDERAL gov't ignoring AT HOME issues.

Screw Iraq, let's rebuild the USA!!

Posted by: kevin in az at August 3, 2007 5:51 PM

Money spent on baseball stadiums for nitwit loser baseball fans would be better spent on fixing bridges.

Utterly STUPID to spend $150 for 4 people to sit and ogle overpaid asses on a baseball field.

Posted by: jimbo at August 5, 2007 4:56 PM

When is shane coming back to delete the comment spam?

As for the report on CNN and Nick Coleman's jackassed aside at the end of an otherwise very pointed and salient column... it's total hogwash.

1. To presume that a government is incapable of doing two things at once is quite possibly the most absurd thing i've ever heard.

2. In the last 5 days i have heard so many blindingly stupid things that I've seriously asked myself if we are in fact in Minnesota, or rather in Mississippi.

3. The national media ran this story and cited Leslie Davis, for the love of God... the guy can't even get an appearance on "Almanac" he's so discredited locally, and yet CNN's dumb enough to run him out there.

Here's the important part: To blame this legislature or pawlenty or the stadium or the current congress, or the iraq war (yes, i've had someone attempt that one too), or a stadium is so beyond stupid that it barely merits acknowledgement.

You want answers? You want someone to blame? for most of us the answer stares at us when we brush our teeth in the morning. 15 years or more of crying and whining about taxes, the "i dont want to pay for anything" attitude. there is your culprit. legislators and a governor were elected PROMISING to do exactly what they are now chastized for.

i could give you a million reasons why it's fellacious to harrangue the ballpark, but i fear it will get in the way of many peoples scapegoating, so i'll let it lie at that.

Posted by: CJ at August 6, 2007 10:15 AM

How come being in the top 10% in income taxes and tax revenue for the past 25 years failed to prevent the bridge from falling? because of misplaced priorities! This doesn't have anything to do with "not wanting to pay for anything" it has to do with ONLY paying for what we're supposed to be paying for....

Posted by: takemymoneyplease at August 6, 2007 3:59 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Neil at August 7, 2007 6:17 AM