< Moving in the right direction | Main | Tonight is the night! >

Let's talk about the Vikes

toine.jpg
Touchdown Vikings defense! Man I hate those ugly pants.

Here we go again. The NFL season is about to start, and once again I am feeling optimistic. Every year, there is an inkling of hope, a shred of "this could be the year" that gets me excited about watching Viking football. Will the Vikings finally reward my loyalty with a championship? The odds and history say no, but I am confident a day will come when I can say, "I never gave up hope. I was never a fair weather fan. I can now die in peace."

This year started with a mediocre performance against the St. Louis Rams, but the game against the Jets actually got me to sit up and pay attention. Three defensive touchdowns? Very nice. I fully realize that this was a pre-season game, but the Kool-Aid is tasting delicious. In fact, it didn't really sink in until I read this post-game comment from the Jets' Leon Washington:

"Whenever you turn the ball over, it's hard to win, especially when you play a good defense like Minnesota," running back Leon Washington said.

What? When did this happen? When did Minnesota get a good defense? True, the jury still is out, but the defensive line looks good ... the linebackers look good ... the secondary looks good. Could the defense actually be good? That would be strange ... but wonderful.

There is something satisfying about having a good defense. Having a good offense is definitely a plus, but having a good defense is something to brag about, even if you lose the game. You know what I mean ... "Well we couldn't score a touchdown even if the other team rolled out a red carpet to the end zone, but our defense held them to -132 yards, so I consider it a victory." I'm not sure our defense is at this caliber yet, but it would be nice if it was. It would be nice for a change to not groan at every third and long knowing the Vikings are about to give up another first down.

So, I'm optimistic. However, I've still got a bone to pick with Zygi. I thought it might take time to get used to them, but I still hate the new uniforms. What the heck was wrong with the old ones? These new uniforms have got to be the worst in the NFL. And my biggest problem is with the helmets.

Yes, the helmets. The change to the helmets borders on blasphemy. Let's take a look at the old helmet:

old-helmet.gif

Timeless. Classic. Simple in its strength and already soaked in history. Why Zygi? Why? I might have been able to forgive everything about the new uniforms if you had left the helmets alone. But now, I cringe every time I see this:

new-helmet.gif

Egads! What is with those sissy effects? Does Zygi want the helmet to be cute? Did Zygi worry that people couldn't imagine for themselves that the horns should actually stick out? Well, I am offended by your lack of faith in me Zygi! This helmet is an affront to the rich history of the Minnesota Vikings, and is almost as bad as the Wisconsin Motion W. It doesn't get much worse than that.

So, that's all I have to say. I'm optimistic once again, but would prefer the old Vikings helmet. I think that about sums it up.

Posted by snackeru at August 21, 2007 7:46 PM

I wasn't a big fan of the purple pants last year, but against the Jets, I thought they looked good. Maybe it was the 3 defensive TD's.

I'm a typical "change bad" cave man when it comes to most things, but updating uni's doesn't bother me as much as it bothers other people. What the heck - out with old! in with the new!

Posted by: purplenurple at August 21, 2007 8:43 PM

But STM, what about the helmets? Surely you don't like the new helmets?!?!?

Posted by: Shane at August 21, 2007 8:48 PM

I like the "stan lee-esk" horn and the more matte finish. It's not as dramatic of change as the 80's Bucs to the current version, but subtle enough to be classy. Sorry Shane, we'll have to add this to the list of things we disagree about.

Posted by: helmetheadedwarriors at August 21, 2007 9:44 PM

You're right. There's something kind of comic bookish about the way the horns are painted on the helmets.

Posted by: Kurtis at August 21, 2007 9:47 PM

Shane, my co-favorite team is the Broncos. Let me tell you that when they ditched the old orange uniforms for the current ones, I HATED the new uniforms. Absolutely hated them! How could Denver, the Orange Crush, ditch the orange uniforms. Blasphemy!

But then a funny thing happened, they won two Super Bowls in the first two years with the new unis. Suddenly those uniforms didn't seem so bad. They had a tradition all thier own. They are the uniforms that finally won Denver a title. It is the uniform Elway wore when he ran off the field for the last time. Suddenly no one really misses those old ugly orange things....well maybe just a little.

Posted by: David H at August 21, 2007 10:13 PM

I saw some photos from training camp and the Vikes were wearing the old helmets with gray face masks which looked very cool. Now, I see they're back to the new helmets and the arena football uniforms. That's too bad.

It's like when the North Stars "updated" their jerseys from the "N" to the "Star" and a couple of years later they were in Texas.

Hey, wait a minute........

Jeff T.

Posted by: Jeff T. at August 21, 2007 10:30 PM

Adrian 'Purple Jesus' Peterson could have a very solid rookie season. I can't wait to hear the ol' Vikings horn after he scores his first touchdown against Atlanta.

Isn't football a refreshing change from stadium politics?

Posted by: Lafferty Daniel at August 21, 2007 10:41 PM

I sure hope they can bring some happiness to the sports landscape in the Twin Cities. If it hadn't been for the past 5/6 Twins seasons, that place would be really depressed. The Wild had a nice run in 2003, The Wolves are simply rotten with no leadership in management. The Gophers have been hopeless in both basketball and football for far too long..Hopefully the coaching changes will change their fortunes a bit.

The sporting psyche of Minnesota has revolved around the Vikings since the late 60s when they overtook the Gophers as THE team.

They can only be better than last year, however, with so many questions unanswered it's unlikely they'll be much better than last year. If Jackson can limit the errors and Peterson/Taylor and company can carry the ball without putting it on the ground, they may go farther than many experts think.

Now to the uniforms....My take is....If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There was nothing wrong with the storied unis of the Vikings. I'm sure they'll go back after the novelty wears off, much like the Twins introduced the TC back after the "M" logo of the late 80's - mid 90s.

Posted by: kevin in az at August 21, 2007 10:53 PM

Go! Pack! Go!
Green Bay...Green Bay...
The Vikings suck!... Go Packers!
Opat rules too!

Posted by: pf 386 at August 21, 2007 11:58 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Freealonzo at August 22, 2007 7:37 AM

The Vikes will be quite a bit better this year. Now let me qualify that by defining "quite."

They should be 9-7. That's 50% improved over last year. Not good enough to make the playoffs (barely) which is fine, they're not good enough to be a FACTOR in the playoffs. But they'll be much more entertaining (how hard could that be) than last year. AP is for real and not too much said about Chad Greenway. He looked smooth and fast against the Jets. This year's like having 2 first round picks join the squad.

Posted by: green"showusthe"way at August 22, 2007 7:45 AM

Yikes. I love the Vikes, but I'll take the under on 9-7.

Posted by: Neil at August 22, 2007 8:17 AM

Oh no, I have put Freealonzo to sleep! I will have to rectify that situation soon.

If the Vikes are 9-7 this year I will be giddy with happiness. I am thinking 8-8 is a lot to ask, but after seeing that Jet's game I am feeling better. As has already been said, they should be more entertaining this year, and I certainly watch NFL football to be entertained so that is good.

And good analogy kevin ... If the Twins can revert back to the TC, the Vikings can go back to their roots too. I look forward to it!

Posted by: Shane at August 22, 2007 8:34 AM

Shoving that ridiculous helmet change down the fans' throats is consistent with the crap they've been passing off as "football". I'm a former fan of this team.

Posted by: SBG at August 22, 2007 9:01 AM

Write it down!

ATL- W
at DET- W
at KCC- L
GBP- W
at CHI- L
at DAL- W
PHI- W
SDC- L
at GBP- L
OAK- W
at NYG L
DET- W
at SF- L
CHI- L
WAS- W
at DEN- W (they'll be resting for the playoffs)

Posted by: theSwammy at August 22, 2007 9:46 AM

The Vikings have a shadow line on their helmets... oh the humanity!

All I know is that the Pack are going to suck this year, 5 wins tops.

Posted by: Freealonzo at August 22, 2007 10:10 AM

Obviously, Freealonzo, you don't appreciate the severity of the situation. That is your prerogative. The helmet should have been untouchable and when I win the lottery and eventually buy the Vikings I will switch it all back!

Posted by: Shane at August 22, 2007 10:13 AM

someone actually went through the whole schedule. priceless.

Posted by: mike at August 22, 2007 10:24 AM

Twins up 8-0 early vs. the Mariners. Figures it would be the game where I'm stuck at work...

Posted by: Snyder at August 22, 2007 1:12 PM

Vikes preseason matters more than the how the Twinkies do at this point.

Posted by: preseason at August 22, 2007 1:39 PM

Preseason is right!!! How many reps will Adrian Peterson get in so that he stays fresh but uninjured? Will Bollinger play into the 3rd quarter? Will Erasmus James bet let loose or will he be saved for the regular season? How about Bevel? What kind of game will he call? Will Chilly let him call plays during the 2 minute warning? God, I can hardly breathe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These exciting questions and more (Why ARE there so many BADgers on the Vikings?) to be answered this Saturday night in Seattle. yawn.

Posted by: Freealonzo at August 22, 2007 2:40 PM

Agree with Free. I went to the Vikings preseason opener against the Rams because a buddy got tickets and I had nothing better to do. I could not for the life of me figure out why people were getting so hyped up about a game that did not count...

BTW, Twins win 8-4 and Silva actually gets the run support for his 10th win. KC is trying their best to send ChiSox to the AL Central basement...what a nice afternoon!

Posted by: Snyder at August 22, 2007 2:45 PM

That's the spirit Free! better than investing one minute into "swing and a miss and the Twins lose another one 2-0". That makes soccer exciting.

Posted by: waste at August 22, 2007 7:15 PM

I could not for the life of me figure out why people were getting so hyped up about a game that did not count...

...that statement applies to about 140 games of the baseball season. oh, replace the word "count" with "matter."

Posted by: bb at August 22, 2007 7:16 PM

Well, I hope you are all sitting down for this one. According to the Twins web site, our buddies at LPII have appealed the 23.8 million decision. Here it is....

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070822&content_id=2163858&vkey=ballpark_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

Now, the jury trial starts in November and will probably last to 2098. With any justice, the jury will decide the land is really worth 8 million. THAT would be hilarious.

Jeff T.

Posted by: Jeff T. at August 22, 2007 7:59 PM

Hey Jeff T. I assume your reference to the trial lasting to 2098 was simply a typo, but the way this has gone so far, maybe not. I too really hope the jury delivers a $ less then $23.8 million. I'd love to see what mouthpiece Aaron Kahn has to say about it then. Man, I really used to like his coverage of the stadium issue for the PP. What a sad career path.

Posted by: David H. at August 22, 2007 8:48 PM

Hey David H. - 2098 was not a typo, just a date I threw in there out of frustration because this will continue to drag on (seemingly) forever.

Not that I am surprised that LPII is appealing because their buddy - I mean the one appraiser - feels they can squeeze out another $10 million for the widows that own the land.

It's an endless debate, with both sides entrenched in their opinions. I'm just sick of it, that's all.

Jeff T.

Posted by: Jeff T. at August 22, 2007 9:48 PM

Well, that didn't take long, and why should it, by lowballing in the first place Oputz guaranteed that we'd be paying all the legal fees in this deal. Which we are; so this is a no brainer for Hines and the cost will most certainly go up exponentially by both the award amound and the legal costs associated with both sides. Neat.

Posted by: STM at August 22, 2007 10:18 PM

Free, you mistyped your post. You accidently put "Pack" in your post instead of "Vikes". The Packers are at least an 8-8 team. The Vikes are a top 10 draft pick team once again this season.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at August 23, 2007 7:46 AM

But the Vikes have Robert Ferguson now and you know he's just aching (pun intended) to stick it to his former team...

P.S. Agree with David H. I think this is the first time I might actually be hoping to get called for jury duty...

Posted by: Snyder at August 23, 2007 9:59 AM

Cheesy, you're partially right. I should have said Pack and Vikes.

Hey doesn't my prediction of 85 Brewers wins look pretty good right now?

Posted by: Freealonzo at August 23, 2007 10:04 AM

The uniforms stink, but the team stinks even more.

have no faith,

Alex

Posted by: Alex at August 23, 2007 3:07 PM

That it does Free, that it does.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at August 23, 2007 3:28 PM

Hey Cheesehead, what exactly did it? that I said the Pack and Vikes will be equally sucky or my eerily prescient prediction of 85 wins for the Brew Crew? If it makes you feel better, I think the BADgers will once again battle for the big ten football crown. How's that for an olive branch?

Posted by: Freealonzo at August 24, 2007 7:32 AM

that's just because the badgers don't face the mighty Bison of NDSU. How close will their game with gophs be this year?

I'm thinking that this year NDSU could end up beating the Gophers in hoops.

as for the NF(yawn)L i really have little to add, i stopped watching the vikings 6 years ago, and feel better for it. I prefer college ball, with all its pagentry, and 119 teams.

Posted by: CJ at August 24, 2007 11:15 AM

8 wins for the Packers this year? Only if they join the Big Ten.

And even then, I'm not sure if the Packers could beat Michigan, Wisconsin, or Ohio State.

Posted by: Gonzo at August 26, 2007 7:35 PM

The new Viking uniforms are the most "butt-ugly" things I've ever seen. Zygi needs to go back to the traditional helmet and uniform starting next year (I'm sure it is too late to change now - i.e. contractual / legal stuff, etc.). A good share of the NFL's appeal is the tradition factor. Look at the Raiders, Chiefs, Bears, Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, etc. They have all kept up a strong uniform tradition. The only changes those teams make are very small, subtle changes. Those teams (who have implemented more radical uniform changes) are suffering.

Posted by: Erik at August 27, 2007 9:19 AM

I like the new and more defined horn on the Vikings helmet, but the helmet should of remained dark purple not light purple.

Posted by: Hector J. Herrera at January 13, 2010 5:09 PM