< Let's talk about the Vikes | Main | Power outage >

Tonight is the night!

weirdal.jpg

UPDATE: That was probably one of the best, if not the best, concert I have ever seen. I was smiling and laughing so much my face hurts. More later, but wow ... what a show.

Ah yeah, my homies! Tonight I'll be basking in the sound of the musical genius that is Weird Al. And this will be my second Weird Al concert. I saw him play at Valley Fair when I was 12, and now I will see him again tonight at the Minnesota State Fair! Now all I have to do is pray that there won't be any severe weather. Things are not looking good.

Gotta go for now. I'll be sure to give a full review of the show. Later!

Posted by snackeru at August 27, 2007 8:06 AM

What we do for our kids, my wife had to attend the Fergie concert Saturday night with our teenage daughter.

Since obviously you're such an expert Shane, what are your top 5 Weird Al albums?

Posted by: Freealonzo at August 27, 2007 9:46 AM

Well, I like to dip back in the Weird Al oeuvre as much as the next guy, but I actually find his more recent stuff to be his best work:

1. Straight Outta Lynwood -- "White and Nerdy" is his best song and the entire album is a joy to listen to. "Weasel Stomping Day" is hilarious.

2. Running with Scissors -- Need I say more than "Albuquerque" ?!?!? Plus, "The Saga Begins" ... bookends to a fantastic album. His "Polka Power" on this album is one of his best polka medleys too.

3. Bad Hair Day -- "Amish Paradise" is one of my favorites. Plus the album features two Soul Asylum parodies. Remember when they were popular?

4. In 3-D -- "Eat It" ... the song that really started it all. I also saw this tour as a child. Al ate a banana during the concert and threw the peel in the audience who then attacked each other like rabid animals to get at the peel. It made quite an impression on me.

5. Poodle Hat -- The "Angry White Boy" polka is phenomenal.

I must admit this is not a chore to take my kids to this concert. I am really, really looking forward to it. I probably have a good 60-70 Weird Al songs on my iPod and I've been listening to him all day. I don't think I've ever been in a better mood at work!

Posted by: Shane at August 27, 2007 2:15 PM

That's Greet Machine in a nutshell: Come for the ballpark discussion, stay for the Weird Al analysis. Have fun tonight!

Posted by: Freealonzo at August 27, 2007 3:36 PM

The Twins have to play .900 ball to get to 95 wins. I'm on the edge of my seat!

Why does anybody watch this sport again? for the once in a decade, or half century run like the Twins pulled out of their a$$ last year to get "dunned" in the playoffs?

Posted by: statman at August 28, 2007 9:27 AM

I think the Twins should hire that old guy from the teachers 'mediocrity' commercials from last election for their new campaign next year....he's probably "itchin to back in the game" and it looks like the Twins got him.

Posted by: commercial at August 28, 2007 9:30 AM

Umm, "statman" might want to realize that the Twins probably will not have to get to 95 wins to take the division title.

Their record at this point last year, when they were six games back, would have them leading the division by about three games this year.

Posted by: Snyder at August 28, 2007 9:57 AM

OMG!! Statesman is right. The Twins won't win 95 games this year!!! My whole world is crashing before my very eyes... I hate baseball, I hate the Twins.... I can't beleive I'm going to spend $60.00 to help finance a ballpark for millionaires and billionaires!!!! Don't tell Mike Opat is still in office... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Freealonzo at August 28, 2007 1:11 PM

they still have to play on a 740 pace to get to 90 wins. Either way, it aint happening.

Posted by: Darren at August 28, 2007 2:07 PM

*yawn*

Shane - care to recap how Weird Al's performance went last night?

Posted by: Snyder at August 28, 2007 2:22 PM

When are we going to hear more about this concert? Did he play Canadian Idiot or not?

Curt in Grand Forks (which is very close to Canada)

Posted by: Curt Hanson at September 4, 2007 4:03 PM