< Power outage | Main | The Last Hurrah >

Yeah, I'll be there

groundbreaking_logo.gif

I will be there. If you are anti-stadium and you are planning on coming to protest this boondoggle, and you would like to give me a piece of your mind, I am a short, swarthy, stocky, hairy man with a dark complexion and a handle-bar mustache. Good luck trying to find me.

Posted by snackeru at August 30, 2007 9:56 AM

I'll be there too. I'll be wearing a Twins cap and have a little too much around the waistline (which I'm working on btw). Oh yea, I'll also be wearing shorts.

Hope to see other Greet Machiners there!!

Posted by: Freealonzo at August 30, 2007 11:23 AM

Protest? what kind of loser, either for or against, would attend this hackneyed and bogus event? I bet that actual Twins players will out number fans in attendance.

Posted by: STM at August 30, 2007 11:42 AM

Can they throw this season in the hole when they dig it? They definitely took a big crap in the middle of Jacobs Field this week.

Posted by: Dave MN at August 30, 2007 11:58 AM

If you give me 300 +/- million dollars and the opportunity to make an extra 20-30 million more per year for the next 30 years, I'd throw you a party. Heck, I might even provide free beer! In fact, I'd GIVE the 20 or 30 closest surrounding businesses a mill a year each, you know, to spark "development" and then I'd GIVE each of the 10,000 season ticket holders $10,000 each to help compensate for the pain and suffering caused by the loss of their Twins AND I'd hook 'em all up with Direct T.V. or the Dish, free of charge for life! to help them follow their favorite squad, wherever they might end up.

Posted by: Chris D at August 30, 2007 12:20 PM

mmmm, 75 and sunny - do I go to the fair or the groundbreaking? the Twins "event" is going to have pretty sad attendance. Oh well.

Posted by: Dubious at August 30, 2007 1:12 PM

Yeah, it will probably be sparsely attended. These kinds of things always are. Freealonzo and I went to a ballpark rally before the bill was passed and it had between 100-200 people. Truly, though, I could care less how many people are there tonight as the stadium is being built if 100 or 1000 people show up. Good times!

Posted by: Shane at August 30, 2007 1:24 PM

Already been to the Fair and going back there this weekend. I suppose I could watch the Vikes play their final preseason game, but watching the preseason game vs. the Rams a few weeks ago live and in person at the Dome with freebie tickets was bad enough...

I'd say 75 and sunny for the groundbreaking ceremony is a pretty nice omen, wouldn't you?

Posted by: Snyder at August 30, 2007 1:30 PM

Hey Chris D. I'm there dude, Who's your State Rep, maybe we can get him or her to sponsor the bill!! Let's make it happen, looks like you'll throw a rockin' party!!!!

Posted by: Freealonzo at August 30, 2007 1:40 PM

In spite of my obvious disdain for Oputz and company, I'll set the bar intentionally low; but if there are less than 500 people there? on a night like tonight? how fricken embarrassing for Oputz AND his Twins cronies.

Posted by: Stopthemadness at August 30, 2007 1:41 PM

Based on the description Shane gave above, I think I found a good picture of him in case anyone wanted to track him down at the groundbreaking tonight. (Note: Pic was taken before 'stache grew into a handlebar)

http://assampolice.com/departments/cid/missing/liton.jpg

Posted by: Freealonzo at August 30, 2007 2:29 PM

Ack! My secret has been found out! You shall rue the day, Freealonzo, that you revealed my secret identity!

My only hope is that my mustache throws people off the scent ...

Posted by: Shane at August 30, 2007 2:32 PM

Sadly I had to watch on TV. I could have gone if it had been on the 2nd. Oh well. Anyway, I thought it was well done overall. STM it sure seemed like there were well in excess of 500 people there. The moment were Gordo paid off his $5 'bet' with Carl Pohlad and left him waiving the $5 bill did make me wince. What a photo op for the opponents. But they did get a kid up there to give it to, so that helped. Overall it was about what I expected. Hrbek's beer at home plate was great.

Posted by: David H. at August 30, 2007 7:23 PM

I was there in person and while I suck at guessing crowd numbers, the area was pretty packed with a lot of extra folks hanging around near the concession stands. I'm not sure if the bigger highlight for me was getting Bert Blyleven's autograph or getting to meet Shane in person.

Posted by: Snyder at August 30, 2007 7:38 PM

I was also there in person with the kids and finally got to meet Freealonzo and Shane. It was a perfect night with music, Twins players from past and present and $1 pop, brats and peanuts.

The whole presentation was very well done and there had to be at least 500 people there. Not bad for a night the Vikes are playing on the other side of downtown.

There were about 10 people up on the bridge protesting the sunlight and happiness, but it was no big deal.

Jeff T.

Posted by: Jeff T. at August 30, 2007 8:43 PM