< Ahhhh! It's the new ballpark! Everyone run! | Main | Favorite Lines from the Movies: Part I >

1000th entry

Welcome to the 1000th entry of the Greet Machine. I started this blog 3.5 years ago and it is still going. Not strong, but it is going. 1000 entries is a nice achievement for any blogger, so I thought I would celebrate by writing one of my typical incoherent ramblings. Lucky you! I would write about Minnesota sports, but quite frankly there is nothing to be excited about right now.

First of all, a discussion of the obligatory statistics of the site. The Greet Machine averages about 315 readers a day. So, for the 315 people that take time our of your day to come and visit, I thank you. There are also about 150 people that check the site multiple times a day. That is amazing. I could understand multiple visits if the Twins stadium was still up in the air, but checking the site more than once a day for what I'm writing recently is phenomenal. Maybe it isn't for what I'm writing?

The comments. That must be it. Over the 3.5 years the "Machine" has been in existence, there have been well over 8,000 comments. Sometimes I feel like I can just write about anything, and people will discuss whatever they want, regardless of what I've written, in the comments. I'm glad some of you feel comfortable using this site as a place to have a discussion.

Finally, a discussion of my "greatest hits." During the hey-day of the battle for the Twins ballpark this site was getting a lot of traffic. Well over 1,000 visitors a day on average, and sometimes over 5,000. Those were the glory days. My biggest day ever stats-wise featured this entry called This is the day which discussed the vote in the House and my own summary of the proceedings. It was a "live blog" of the event which I updated throughout the day. Oh, and that night I was also on the WCCO 10 o'clock news in a piece called Local Blogger Keeps Eyes on Stadium Issues. You can still see the piece on the preceding link.

Being on the news was not a smart move as it caused me all sorts of grief. That prompted me to write an entry called This is who I am which discussed the freedom of speech and my obligation to speak up on issues that are important to me.

Some people feel this is my best work, but quite frankly I am most proud of the writing I have done that is not stadium related, or not overtly stadium related. So, here are some links to peruse if you are bored:

There are more, but this will do. Again, check them out if you are bored or if you need something to read over lunch.

Lastly, I will leave you with a set of random pictures for no reason whatsover. Enjoy!

hoop.jpg

This is a picture of my basketball hoop. Note how the rim does not tilt towards the ground even a little bit! I am incredibly proud of this. My basketball hoop is installed to perfection.

loaf.jpg

This is a loaf of bread I made last night. It was made with a bread maker purchased for me by long-time Greet Machine reader "Curt in Grand Forks" as a wedding present 13 years ago. Thanks Curt! It is still going strong!

poultrybarn.jpg

Finally, this is me outside the Poultry Barn during the State Fair. Note that the Poultry Barn is closed. This made me very angry since one of my favorite things to do at the Fair is look at the chickens. I don't know why, but I find the different variety of chickens absolutely amazing. If you were wondering why there weren't any chicken pictures this year, this is the reason.

That's it for now. Have a great day everyone!

Posted by snackeru at September 16, 2007 8:08 PM

My wife and I threw out our bread machine years ago. Good to know that yours is still going strong! My favorite Greet Machine entry has to be the one about the U2 concert. What an outstanding show. Congrats on your 1,000th entry, and long live the Greet Machine!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at September 17, 2007 9:52 AM

Yeah, that was a good one too. Here is the link:

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/snackeru/greet/2005/09/26/the_best_weekend_ever_part_one_u2.html

Thanks for being one of the originals Curt!

Posted by: Shane at September 17, 2007 9:56 AM

I have a bread machine from 12 years ago...I've only used it twice...Want me to send it to ya Curt??

Posted by: kevin in az at September 17, 2007 11:21 AM

I know Shane isn't fishing for compliments, but it is often said that people have a "sphere of concern", and a "sphere of influence", the latter being a much smaller sphere. We are told that it is okay to be concerned with a large amount, but we must focus on our sphere of influence, what we can control. Or, something to that effect anyway.

Shane is a perfect example of how one can expand their sphere of influence. Rather than just writing letters to the editor, calling legislators, or attending meetings at the Capitol to testify like most supporters did, Shane took matters into his own hands and developed a way to expand his influence.

Great job Shane, your impact was felt far beyond what anyone could have predicted. Even those against a new ballpark must acknowledge this, and realize that Shane is a great example to anyone looking to influence people. A great example to people that are looking to accomplish something bigger than themselves.

Derek (Greet Machine reader until there is no more Greet Machine)

Here's to April 2010!!!

Posted by: Derek at September 17, 2007 11:30 AM

To be honest, I've only ever checked your blog to see if there are any new bunny entries. While you are getting closer with the chicken reference, you're still sadly missing any more bunnies...

Posted by: Tim R. at September 17, 2007 12:54 PM

Derek, you are right. I am not looking for compliments. When you reach a milestone like 1000 entries ... well, that just has to be written about. Thanks for your kind words, though. That means a lot.

Tim R. is referring to this entry:

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/snackeru/greet/2005/04/01/the_new_greet_machine.html

It was an April Fools day joke where I switched the focus of the Greet Machine from stadiums to rabbits. Unbeknownst to me, the term "rabbits" would become the number one way people stumbled upon the Greet Machine from Google searches as a result. It has only recently tapered off.

Posted by: Shane at September 17, 2007 1:10 PM

Here are my favorite Greet Machine posts (in no particular order)

Links of the Day -- April 2, 2004

Brew-haha in the Backyard -- June 30, 2004

I'm Back -- July 10, 2005

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 17, 2007 1:56 PM

Tip o' the cap to you, sir.

Posted by: SBG at September 17, 2007 2:05 PM

Yes, Craig has picked all his greatest hits in terms of playing practical jokes on me, as well as winning our first bet ever (which set off a three year losing streak for me).

"No Stadium Taxes" in my front window was pretty good though. I have no problem admitting that.

And thanks for stopping by Oh Mighty SBG! I'm sure you snicker at my meager statistics. All Hail SBG!

Posted by: Shane at September 17, 2007 2:05 PM

I'll forever remember turning to your whip counts... which were more accurate than ones from those supposedly more "in the know"

unrelated - i'm now upping my bet that NDSU beats the U this season, i say by more than 3 points.

Posted by: CJ at September 17, 2007 5:44 PM

Nice work on 1,000 entries Shane.

I was at the U2 concert but wasn't an avid reader of Greet Machine at the time so I never got a chance to comment on it. They are my favorite band and it was my first time seeing them. I was blown away at how great it was.

I liked when they pulled out Electric Co. You could tell that quite a few people at the concert didn't know that song. I would have like to see them pull out some Unforgettable Fire as well. One song I really wanted to hear, but knew they wouldn't play, was Red Hill Mining Town.

I happen to like Acrobat and Love is Blindness. As for least favorite song, When Love Comes to Town ranks up there for me. I'm not a fan of Numb either.

Posted by: IowaWigman at September 17, 2007 8:25 PM

1000 posts! Wow, I have a new goal, I'm comin' after you Shane Nackaru of Greet Machine and another record will be mine, all mine. You'll come to love me I promise.

BB

Posted by: Barry Bonds at September 17, 2007 9:59 PM

I read every word at the Greet Machine. And I read every word at the Oracle. You are in my RSS reader and every time it goes bold I head on over.

Burritos!

Posted by: SBG at September 18, 2007 8:17 AM

Nice job Shane, actually some of your best stuff is non-ballpark related and your ballpark stuff is pretty good!

It looks like Cheesehead Craig is going to owe me a burrito in about 2 weeks. We'll need to schedule a Chipotle visit for early October.

Posted by: Freealonzo at September 18, 2007 8:36 AM

Congrats Shane! I am willing to overlook that you are a Gopher Hockey fan now that I know we both are big U2 fans. I am happy to see you still have found reasons to post, and I enjoy your tidbits on the right column of your webpage.

Here's to another 1000 posts!

BTW... how many of the 8,000 comments were from STM and his many "cloaked" personas?? He should be thanking you for the soapbox real estate more than anyone else!

Posted by: zooomx at September 18, 2007 10:20 AM

This is late, but I wanted to add my congratulations on your first 1,000 entries. I look forward to your next 1,000.

Posted by: Jeff A at September 20, 2007 1:57 PM

Congrats Shane! I'm a short timer in the realm of reading The Greet Machine, but enjoy it immensely.

I could only laugh at Curt being the gift giver of the bread machine...only the movie Old School comes to mind.

December is fast approaching and I'm looking forward to your visit to the GF. A friendly wager may be needed? Congrats again and have a good one!

P.S. Follow the Bono way!

~Tony

Posted by: Tony at September 25, 2007 2:58 PM