< Extended hiatus | Main | Quick Thoughts >

Must ... post ... picture

New Twins ballpark model displayed at Hennepin County Government Center

What: The media is invited to preview a 6 foot by 6 foot detailed model that shows the new Minnesota Twins ballparkā€™s design, and also receive new design renderings.

When: Tuesday, Oct. 30 - Media availability: 12:15 to 1 p.m.

Where: County Board Room
A-24 Hennepin County Government Center
300 S. Sixth St.
Minneapolis, MN

Final ballpark design presented to County Board

Following the ballpark model viewing, Ballpark Project Manager Rick Johnson will brief the County Board at 1 p.m. Oct. 30. Johnson will outline new design elements of the ballpark, and answer questions from the board.

Officials from the county, Twins, ballpark designer HOK Sport, M.A. Mortenson Co. and Ballpark Authority will be present at the briefing.

This is an old picture (I've been told) but this is the kind of stuff that will be displayed today:

twinsballparkview.jpg

Click image above for larger version.

Posted by snackeru at October 30, 2007 10:51 PM

Looks badass.

Posted by: Lafferty at October 29, 2007 5:41 PM

We needed another stadium like we needed a hole in the head or new bridges.....

Posted by: janet johnson at October 29, 2007 6:32 PM

Looks beautiful. Can't wait to see outdoor baseball in Minnesota!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at October 29, 2007 6:36 PM

Please, if someone goes, take pictures to post. God knows the Twins will take 2 months to post them on their website.

Posted by: kevin in az at October 29, 2007 10:10 PM

re: picture

All I see is a huge pile of public money taken from families that needed it more than Carl Pohlad.

Posted by: tax me - again at October 29, 2007 10:41 PM

All I see is a huge pile of money paid out to Union construction workers, a place for low skilled persons can work shilling peanuts, pop, and cleaning aisles or taking taking tickets, a place where 1/2 billion dollars is being invested in the City of Minneapolis.

Posted by: Freealonzo at October 30, 2007 7:27 AM

First thing I thought of when I saw the picture was that it looked like an unattractive old Roman Coliseum.

Posted by: Alice Trute at October 30, 2007 7:31 AM

I'm concerned about the light rail behind left field. When a homer is hit out of the park, it's going to land in the light rail track. Could cause a big accident. I'd say that's reason enough not to build the stadium.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at October 30, 2007 7:39 AM

What are you talking about Alice? Are you even a baseball fan? Have you ever seen a Roman Coliseum? This is a great ballpark that will provide a great environment to enjoy baseball the way it's meant to be played, OUTDOORS. That's the way it's been played for over 100 years in the Northern United States. Enjoy the design and quit belly-aching about it. rrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Posted by: Matt Cole at October 30, 2007 3:13 PM

Personally, my concern is that a towering homerun hit to RIGHT field may hit STM or his cohorts while they are protesting against the stadium out on the plaza.

They're all goofy enough now, let alone with a good crack to the ole melon...

Posted by: tato at October 30, 2007 3:58 PM

It's done but I have a couple of questions for anyone to answer.If the county is on the line for only $13,000,000 or some number close to that for the total amount paid, then why did o-putz spend all of the county money and resources (legal, accounting, board member and staff, PR, both internal and outside professional services) to defend the amount the Twins (and not the county)would have to pay? Maybe the Twins will write the county a check for everything the county spent defending the amount the Twins would pay.
It looks to me like the HC board is already making the taxpayers pay the Twins for the new stadium. Say it ain't so o-putz.

Posted by: Jimmy Jack at October 30, 2007 10:14 PM

I like how people still turn other people's last names into insults. Examples: O-putz, McFail

Seriously, if you want to have a grown-up conversation about a topic, try to act like a grown-up.

Posted by: Dave MN at October 31, 2007 3:00 PM

In reviewing the image, I'm a bit concerned that attendance at the game seems a startlingly low. Presumably the game hasn't started yet, but still: the upper decks are basically completely empty. I hope this isn't indicative of the quality of the team come 2010!

Posted by: tato at November 1, 2007 1:29 PM

I'm worried about a towering homerun to Right putting a hole through the roof of Target Centre, hitting McHale in the head while addressing the media in the middle of a Thursday while a matinee game is going on next door.. However one hitting STM and his protesting chronies in the plaza would be hilarious.

Posted by: CTM at November 4, 2007 9:14 PM

A ballpark next door to an arena, just like the old days in Bloomington.

Posted by: CTM at November 4, 2007 9:20 PM

Hey I know this is so random, but I was looking at some older pics, and I saw one of a cat on March 26, 2005. It was almost identical to my cat and I wanted to know if you know what breed it is. Much appreciated :)Oh and btw i am completely supportive of the new stadium ;).

Posted by: jenny at November 6, 2007 5:27 PM

As I read Jenny's post, I kept waiting for a "STM-ish" twist. Where is that guy?

Posted by: Derek at November 8, 2007 3:46 PM

"Where is that guy?" (referring to STM)

Rumor has it he's been spending all his time on various school district websites trying to convince parents to vote against school levies because public education is nothing but a government hand out designed to enrich low-life teachers who only work 9 months a year.

Posted by: tato at November 8, 2007 3:57 PM

Second crane is in place as of Wednesday. Haven't been down there yet, but from the camera view, it looks like they pulled out the old railroad track as well.

Posted by: Mylometer at November 8, 2007 11:09 PM

Is it bad that when I heard about the Opat mugging and the threats to the HC board that I thought about STM?

http://www.startribune.com/106/story/1536202.html
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=36A8F2F69F9756AEA10C5F842218EE74?contentId=4879019&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

Posted by: The Rational Actor at November 9, 2007 11:19 AM

Assuming that I'm against funding of public education because I oppose how the stadium is financed is ridiculous. It'd actually be more accurate to assume that YOU'RE against the funding of public education because you'd rather finance a stadium instead.

And if I was going to club Oputz in the head; I'd make sure he knew it was from me.

Posted by: STM at November 9, 2007 12:11 PM

^

(sigh... grin... sigh...)

It's just too easy.

Posted by: tato at November 9, 2007 3:49 PM

STM, you shouldn't be sending threatening letters to government officials. It's a scoshe, whats they word.. Oh, terroristy.

http://www.startribune.com/10241/story/1541322.html

Posted by: ctm at November 10, 2007 1:55 PM

Where were you last Tuesday night STM, I'm gonna take a guess and say you were in Robbinsdale.

Posted by: CTM at November 11, 2007 5:21 PM

Even thought the cops say there's no link between the letters and the mugging, I think its more than a coincidence. Unless Robbinsdale has gotten alot more dangerous since I've been there.

Posted by: STM at November 11, 2007 7:17 PM

all kidding aside, what an asinine statement. in fact, when i first heard about the letters, you're the first jerk i thought of. i wish people wouldn't respond to you at this site, but it seems the same three or four people can't help themselves. you're the most moronic, obsessed single issue piece of crap i've ever come across online and i wouldn't put it past you to send threatening letters to people you clearly despise.

you lost all your credibility buddy a few months ago when you made a blatantly homophobic statement on this board and the blog author continued to show your posts. the stadiums being built, concrete and steel are rising into the sky and you can kiss my ass.

Posted by: mullen at November 12, 2007 1:05 PM

Timmy, are you gay?

Posted by: STM at November 12, 2007 3:15 PM

I bet you're a "freeway fighter" too, aren't you Timmy? one of those real big tough guys sitting in a locked car going 70 mph? but scared shitless at a stop light or if somebody tails you for a couple for a couple of miles? you know who I am...you're the reason I'm even here.

Posted by: STM at November 12, 2007 3:28 PM

I'm not sure what's going on between the previous 2 posters?

I think Mr. Opat pursued the stadium (at any cost) because it was a very personal issue to him. Now, maybe, he'll pursue public safety issues with the same vigor.

Posted by: Menu at November 12, 2007 5:55 PM

A LOT IS TWO WORDS NOT ONE.

Posted by: CANTWAIT4THESTADIUM at November 12, 2007 6:00 PM

wood busy speed we we all home yes man mail

Posted by: youglobalcar at July 12, 2008 1:04 AM