< What would you do? | Main | Quotes that have upset me >

Spilled Milk

Fooling around with Keynote for the Mac and its ability to publish straight to YouTube. Behold! My magnum opus!

Posted by snackeru at November 20, 2007 7:26 PM

Shane - that is outstanding. And if you are looking for the Coleman cooler that you bought in the Nick of time, it will no doubt be Outdoors in the Front Row in 2010.

Jeff T.

Posted by: Jeff T. at November 20, 2007 7:59 PM

Great video! You are so clever--and I'm not even biased!

Posted by: mom at November 21, 2007 7:19 AM

Shane, I sent the link to Gollum. Hope he take's a look. Have a good Thanksgiving.

Posted by: Freealonzo at November 21, 2007 9:40 AM

I'm speechless. Happy Thanksgiving, Shane.

Posted by: Jeff A at November 21, 2007 12:23 PM

That is the most awesome YouTube video I have ever seen!

Posted by: Snyder at November 21, 2007 12:44 PM

Where does one obtain the special skill set necessary to rationalize while simultaneously trivializing totalitarianism?

Posted by: T-Rex at November 21, 2007 1:54 PM

And where does one obtain the skill set necessary to trivialize totalitarianism by comparing it to something as trivial as building a ballpark?

Posted by: Shane at November 21, 2007 2:02 PM

Great video, Shane. Almost enough to make me go buy a Mac...nah.

Posted by: David H. at November 21, 2007 5:16 PM

I was going to call touche! but that darned dictionary got in the way; Totalitarian; Of, relating to, being, or imposing a form of government in which the political authority exercises absolute and centralized control over all aspects of life, the individual is subordinated to the state, and opposing political and cultural expression is suppressed

Since when is stealing a half a billion dollars from the public to satisfy a private special interest, trivial? or does that view point come from that special skill set too?

Posted by: T-Rex at November 21, 2007 7:30 PM

"stealing a half a billion dollars from the public". T-Rex, stop the hyperbole and find something else to whine about. The amount of tax that most Hennepin County taxpayers will pay is less than a quarter per day. That hardly qualifies as theft.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at November 21, 2007 8:58 PM

That statement answers many questions and shines some very interesting light on the view point of some you.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Posted by: T-Rex at November 22, 2007 7:50 AM

Who cares?

What I care about is wasting taxpayer money on baseball while jobs in Minnesota are leaving because of high taxes.

Minnesota is losing jobs at a higher and higher rate every month. Minnesota use to be known as a great place to live and now it is the land of high taxes and stadiums for billionaires.

Posted by: clair at November 22, 2007 8:17 AM

was T-Rex the stick guy on the right or the left??

Posted by: zooomx at November 22, 2007 8:18 AM

Minnesota has always had high taxes. The stadium tax has not pushed the tax rate higher to any perceptible degree. Most of the Midwest is facing tough economic times and sluggish growth. Here in Grand Forks we have always had lower taxes, as well as no stadium tax. And yet our economy pales in comparasion to places in Minnesota like Minneapolis, Rochester, St. Cloud, etc. The stadium tax will greatly benefit the quality of life, with minimal impact to tax payers. Lets move on to another issue. This one is done.

Posted by: Curt Hanson at November 22, 2007 1:48 PM

Obviously its not that simple. If raising taxes to support private enterprises (baseball, football, etc...) created a growing economy, then there would be no "Grand Forks" in the world because they would all raise taxes. Its a classic 'chicken and egg' conundrum. Did the vibrant economies bring pro sports? or did pro sports bring the vibrant economies? I think the Panthers, Titans, Ravens, Texans etc... answer that question pretty resoundingly. Pro Sports follow into thriving economies in order to capitalize and leach off of, insideously wrapping itself into the fabric of the community, in an effort to perpetuate the 'big lie' We are necessary; not the other way around.

Posted by: Darren at November 22, 2007 5:54 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: kevin in az at November 23, 2007 5:02 AM

Enough about “spilled milk.� Let’s move on to the exciting and dynamic “city within a city� and its new economy that’s going to spring up around the stadium as promised. It’s been a year now since the tax was approved and the stadium’s fate became assured. That along with light rail and the north star line all converged to promise a revitalization of a blighted area and cause this portion of Minneapolis to be the envy of other cities and a significant factor in drawing outside interest to our community while positively impacting our quality of life.

With stadium construction started, there can be no doubt that this is going to happen as promised by “the four horsemen� of Hennepin County! What with the lead time required to accommodate the permitting and municipal approval process, I’m sure the City offices are inundated with exciting proposals designed to capitalize on and extend their respective benefits to “Twinsville� and beyond ensuring that this area becomes a true destination point!

Fantasy’s of soaring condos creating a true livable community where people can enjoy a free look at the ball game from their balcony, walk to work, walk to recreate and train ride everywhere else are surely working through the proposal and submittal process in order to time their availability with the opening of the crown jewel of our City!

Design takes about a year, so that should be wrapping up now. Of course, the insightful developers who anticipated this happening have their plans all wrapped up and in front of the planning commission (don’t they?), after that you have to figure about a year for budgeting and bidding and then construction takes a couple of years. The current condo market might delay those plans for another year or two, so worst case, the first project should be “cutting the ribbon� in 2013? Assuming we see some sort of proposal next year.

Hmmmm. Maybe I better get used to $15.00 burgers and $7.00 beers inside Pohlad park for a while. At least I’ll be able to watch my favorite “role model� players who’ve helped become the identity of this franchise and the community....crap!

Posted by: Confucious at November 23, 2007 7:24 AM

The sad thing is, these ball park renderings that have been tossed around are more true to life of what the surrounding area will still look like a decade from now.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/snackeru/greet/images/twinsballparkview.jpg

Posted by: T-Rex at November 23, 2007 10:50 AM

A writer above is correct.

Good technology jobs are leaving Minnesota faster than you can shake a fist at. They are being replaced by low paying service jobs. The reason is that our priorities in this state have changed from education & hard work to leisure and too many turning into professional sports couch lazies. I am afraid the next generation that these couch lazies are raising are going to be as bad if not worse than those already on the couches. You want to see spoiled kids ranting and raving alongside parents that were spoiled? Go to any professional sports game. There you will see a "family" that has just spent $400 or so for a couple of hours of "entertainment"....

Posted by: jeff at November 24, 2007 11:08 AM

That is the most idiotic generalization I have ever read. I can see why ballpark opponents lost. With arguments like that (priorities in our state have changed because of "couch lazies"?) all ballpark proponents need to do now is sit back and laugh. Speaking of "entertainment" ...

Posted by: Skip at November 24, 2007 12:41 PM