< Spilled Milk | Main | Video Tuesday! >

Quotes that have upset me

• My good buddy Jeff has already written about this, but I also want to add my two cents. In Sid Hartman's column last week, Torii Hunter had this to say about the Twins as he left:

It will be hard for the Twins to attract free agents, Hunter added, because the new stadium lacks a roof.

"People aren't even thinking about this," he said. "I wouldn't play in Minnesota unless my career was at an end and I had to go to Minnesota to play the game. ... People think that's not true -- that's 100 percent accurate. This is coming from a player, so I'm telling you."

That is a really dumb comment. It doesn't make any sense. Jeff takes the angle of calling Torii a "sissy" but before I get into the name calling let's consider Torii's main point: the Twins won't attract any free agents because of the weather in the Twin Cities. Huh?

How then do they do it in Chicago? Or Detroit? Or Cleveland? All of these cities have open air ballparks, and it could be argued that they all have more inclement weather than the Twin Cities. In all of these cities it is cold and rainy in April, and cold and possibly snowy in October. Why attracting free agents to Minnesota should be any more difficult is beyond me.

I like Torii. He entertained me greatly as a Twin and I'm glad he got what he wanted. But seriously ... if Cleveland can attract free agents then so can the Minnesota Twins.

Sorry Torii, free agents care about one thing and one thing only: how much money are they gonna get. And the Twins have never had any trouble ... giving ... um ... free agents ... um ... money ...

doh.jpg

• The second quote that has upset me comes from our friend Scott Boras. A couple of months ago The New Yorker had a great story about Mr. Boras. In this article, Scott Boras has this to say about the MLB draft:

At one point while I was in his office, Boras took a phone call, and explained afterward, “The draft is looming.? I asked if he planned to travel to Orlando, where the draft was being held. He smiled. “I think the draft is here,? he said. “It’s not in Orlando. We’re in the room?—he pointed up, toward the war room—“and we’re telling teams who they can draft, who they can’t. That’s basically how the thing goes.?

The arrogance is stunning, isn't it? Sadly, it turned out to be true. The article had this to say further down:

The inaugural draft telecast, when it aired on ESPN2, a couple of days later, left no doubt about who is in control of the narrative. The word “signability?—code, basically, for the odds that a Boras client will return to school or take a sabbatical in an independent league—was repeated again and again by the hosts ... There was even a segment devoted to the “Boras Effect,? in which a couple of analysts explained his practice of simply stating a player’s worth in advance and warning teams not to draft him unless they planned to pay it. As a result, the Boras advisee Andrew Brackman, one of the top-rated pitchers, and a star basketball player as well (“two-sportability,? for those watching the telecast), fell to the deep-pocketed Yankees, with the thirtieth pick. They then gave him a signing bonus that was nearly a million dollars greater than the bonus given to the fourth over-all pick, the pitcher Daniel Moskos, by the resource-poor Pittsburgh Pirates.

The article talks more about his control over the draft, which made me wonder over and over again at how an agent can have so much control over the game.

I'm not really sure what to say about it that hasn't been said before so I'll just say it sucks. I'm not sure who I dislike more: Scott Boras or Donald Fehr.

• Finally, the Vikings game was a pleasant surprise yesterday. I am of the opinion that the Vikings lose when they are playing against a team with a half-way decent quarterback. They have lost to Tony Romo, Brett Favre (twice), Donovan McNabb, and ... well ... Jon Kitna. So, he got lucky. But put the Vikes against a decent quarterback and usually that QB will slice and dice our pass defense to victory.

So, in looking at our remaining schedule, it would appear that the Vikings should win every game. Kitna? He can't get lucky twice, especially with the Vikings at home. Alex Smith? Um no. Rex Grossman? I don't think so. And given that I can't even name the starters for the Redskins or the Broncos without looking them up I think the Vikes are pretty safe.

The Vikings will end up 10-6. Childress will get a reprieve to his inevitable firing, and the Vikings will once again play in January. Time to jump on the bandwagon folks.

And one more thing, if it is the Packers and Patriots in the Super Bowl ... I'm sorry but I'll be yelling "Go Pack Go" just like the rest of America.

Posted by snackeru at November 26, 2007 8:12 PM

Thanks for putting the nightmare vision of a Pats-Pack superbowl in my head just before bedtime! I guess I'd root for the Pack, too, though. I don't really see them in the big one, but I don't really know which NFC team I do see. Cowboys?

Posted by: Kurtis at November 26, 2007 10:18 PM

Call me an "early adopter", but I tired of the crap spewing forth from the mouth of Hunter a looooooong time ago.

Posted by: SBG at November 27, 2007 7:09 AM

Sour grapes by Hunter is all it is. It's a real classy parting shot at his previous club. Just how Longwell was bitter when he left GB to what he thought was a better situation.

Sports agents in general are garbage. They have ruined so much about sports that I can't even believe they are actually human.

Of course everyone will root for the Packers, they are really "America's Team".

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at November 27, 2007 8:26 AM

Packers? America's Team? Craig, you've been smoking the Gouda again. Here's the case for the Patriots as American's team:

Colors - Red, White, and Blue 'nuf said.

Tom Brady - rugged, american good looks who's able to impregnate supermodels left and right. Favre - former pill-poppin' good ol' boy who probably has a Confederate flag in his garage.

D-Line - Packers have someone on their d-line called KGB for criminy sakes. Why not just call them the Green Bay Putins?

It took the Packers 30 years to win 3 Superbowls. Patriots did it in 4. Just Win Baby that's the American way.

Posted by: Freealonzo at November 27, 2007 9:33 AM

Cheating, poor sportsmanship, absentee father who enjoys making illegitimate children, arrogant businessmen who think they are above the rules, illegal drug users... maybe that's America's team for you, but not for the vast majority of us who love this country. Since it's obvious you hate America so much, why not just move to Canada with the rest of the Commies?

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at November 27, 2007 11:37 AM

I have to side with Free, though I think it'll be a moot issue since I don't see the Pack getting to the Super Bowl this year.

Their record is impressive, but the only halfway-decent team they've beat so far is the Chargers, which isn't really saying much since the Vikes managed to beat them too. If the Pack manages to beat the Cowboys, I might change my tune.

Posted by: Snyder at November 27, 2007 11:58 AM

Good post Shane, until your inexcusable diss of Jay Cutler. Do you really not know who he is? He will be one of the top 6 or 7 QB's within a year, heck he may be in the top 10 right now.

Posted by: David H. at November 28, 2007 8:52 PM

Ha! I was waiting for someone to point that out. Jay Cutler? What, did you go to Vanderbilt or something? He's a nobody. The Vikings will feast on him like they did Eli. No worries.

Posted by: Shane at November 28, 2007 9:05 PM

Funny thing is, Shane had to look up where Cutler was from, but didn't bother looking him up to begin with.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at November 29, 2007 2:01 PM