< The Second KMOTW | Main | Bootleg recordings >

Mindless drivel

Ralph Engelstad Arena

• So, I went to the Sioux-Gopher hockey game last Saturday night in Grand Forks. It was a good game. The Gophers won, and the atmosphere was exciting ... maybe even electric. They absolutely hate the Gophers up there so the crowd was really into it. Fortunately I sat in a section filled with Gopher fans, so I could do the old "Yeaaaaaahhhhh Gophers!" without fear of getting pummeled.

I have a like/dislike relationship with hockey. Hockey is something that I enjoy when there is really nothing else I would rather be doing. It is a good sport, especially live, but it is one that I've never gotten into much. So, I consider it kind of a curse that Minnesota is so hockey crazy. I would much rather Minnesota to be football or basketball crazy. It is certainly nice that the U of M dominates in at least one major sport, but I sure wish it was football.

Having said that, I had a great time at the game this Saturday. A great time. That was probably the best live hockey game I have ever seen. And considering that it was the sixth live hockey game I've ever seen, that probably isn't saying much.

• I have put my Larry Bird ornament on the tree:

Larry

Anyone else got any strange ornaments that they love to put up?

• Finally, you probably haven't noticed, but Mr. Cheer Or Die is back and he is posting up a storm over at the Viking Underground. I encourage you to check it out before he decides not to blog again!

Posted by snackeru at December 12, 2007 7:46 AM

So is there a big ceremony when you put Larry Bird on the tree or do you kind of sneak it on when the wife isn't looking?

Posted by: Freealonzo at December 12, 2007 9:59 AM

I think Larry might need another adventure...

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at December 12, 2007 11:45 AM

I've got an idea for a candidate for the 3rd weekly KMOTW. The Falcons head coach who just resigned. Turns out on sunday he had some sort od deal to stay with the Falcons, yet today, he resigns.

Posted by: CTM at December 12, 2007 1:51 PM

A good friend of mine, who is an absolute football and basketball nut, attended his first professional hockey game back in the late '80's. It was a North Stars - Blackhawks playoff game.

To this day he claims it is the greatest sporting event he has ever attended.

Jeff T.

Posted by: Jeff T. at December 12, 2007 7:47 PM

Hockey is a great sport live, especially in a great arena like the Ralph. It was too bad, at least from my perspective, that the Sioux slept through the first 2 and a half periods. The last five minutes were great, though. Glad you could make it.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at December 12, 2007 10:16 PM

Are you sure that's not the ghost of Larry Bird ornament? White as a sheet.

Posted by: Dave MN at December 14, 2007 12:54 PM