< Books of 2007 | Main | The First Annual CHNMOTY >

Slow week for the KMOTW

OK, I'll let you in on my selection process. My goal every week is to pick a KMOTW that has some sort of tie to Minnesota. Clemens last week was a stretch, I'll admit, but due to his now tainted dominance of Minnesota batters over the years I felt comfortable making the selection.

This week I had trouble coming up with nominations. Believe it or not, there wasn't a whole lot of stupidity this week in the world of Minnesota sports.

Oh, I was very excited when I saw Nick Coleman wrote an article this week called "Heroic Maris honored a game now debased by drug scandal." Aha! Now we are talking! I thought it was a guarantee that he would take a swipe at the stadium and somehow tie it to steroids. Then he goes and writes a column that I mostly agree with. The nerve! Nick Coleman, it is only a matter of time ...

And that was about it for the nominations. The Vikings won, so Brad Childress was out of the question. And the T-Wolves are just to pathetic to pick on right now. I was really stumped about who would win the award and then I got this nomination through email from Mr. COD:

My suggestion for Spaz of the week would be whoever decided to go with the purple pants purple jersey Easter egg look this past Monday. Awful!

What an excellent suggestion!

Behold! I present to you the Knucklehead McSpazatron of the Week!

spongepat.jpg

It took a little digging, but I dug until I found out who was to blame for the fashion debacle we saw on Monday night. It was Pat Williams! According to the Strib Vikings blog:

Yes, the Vikings wore purple jereys and purple pants for one of the few times in team history and not since the early 1960’s. No surprise, but it appears NT Pat Williams had a big role in arranging the wardrobe change. And as of last night, he decided it was a one-and-done affair. “It was a lot of purple,? Williams said. “Maybe too much purple. I’ve already told coach [Brad] Childress that we’re not wearing them next week. No way. We’re going back to purple jerseys and white pants.?

Well, at least he recognizes his mistake. Now I know what some of you are thinking, that the KMOTW criteria should be a little more stringent and not be associated with fashion based decisions. Bah! Personally I take the Vikings uniforms very seriously. Actually, I have written about them before and my extreme dislike for the new helmets. They are an affront to the rich history and tradition of the proud Vikings franchise!

So, for the unacceptable decision to further mess with the already messed up uniforms, Pat Williams is my Knucklehead McSpazatron of the Week.

Sigh. Maybe next week will give us some more substantial nominations ...

Posted by snackeru at December 20, 2007 9:38 PM

I though Rick Stanek and his $30,000 self-aggrandizing "training" video was a shoe-in for KMOTW. What I thought was really special was that he broke the $30,000 contract into two $15,000 contracts so that he wouldn't have to go through a public procurement process.

The Mpls SWAT team that went to the wrong house would have been a good runner-up.

Jim Ramstad waffling on retiring is another good runner-up.

Posted by: Freealonzo at December 21, 2007 7:53 AM

What? There is a world outside of sports? I will have to consider that in the future!

Posted by: Shane at December 21, 2007 8:13 AM

How about Bill Smith for this comment;

Twins General Manager Bill Smith said he spoke with Silva's agent Thursday and reiterated the Twins' original offer of a three-year contract for $18 million.

How embarrassing.

Posted by: Yammam at December 21, 2007 9:10 AM

Sports huh?

What about Kyle Okposo for leaving the Gophers in the middle of the season. Or The NY Islanders for taking Okposo away and their GM blaming Lucia.

Posted by: Freealonzo at December 21, 2007 10:18 AM

that's not really embarrassing, considering we don't need Silva and he's not that good.

how about an award for something positive or cool someone has done?

i nominate Curt Schilling. He's a loudmouth egotist, but he has cajones. Cajones.

Posted by: mike h at December 21, 2007 10:49 AM

Shane: You have a great thing going here with the KMOTW. I can't wait until you post it on Friday. And I'm sure like myself, others will start to send you nominee's early in the week making your job very easy indeed.

I wouldn't hold it to just Minnesota or even sports. If someone is a KMOTW then they need to be called out! I mean, I would have nominated Kyle Orton and his personal grooming had not the Easter egg look of the Vikings uniform been the uglier thing on TV Monday night.

Posted by: Brian Maas at December 21, 2007 12:00 PM

I can't believe some knucklehead on ESPN.com and Seattle's GM said that Silva was the best pitcher in the free agent class this year. Oh wait... that was after the guy Seattle really wanted (Kuroda)went to the Dodgers.

Nice.

Posted by: barry at December 21, 2007 12:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have decided to broaden the the selection criteria to the non-sports world and to people outside of Minnesota. Having said that, though, I will always give the edge to a KM with Minnesota ties.

Mike H. makes a good point that it may be important to also recognize the good people do. We'll need a name for that award (and it doesn't have to be Spongebob related). Any suggestions? How about the Eugene Robinson Moral Character Award? Shoot! There I go being negative again.

Bill Smith will get the KMOTW award some day, but not for letting Carlos Silva go. I didn't mind that move.

And just so you know, I will probably never give the KMOTW award to a high school or college student. I don't believe in criticizing 18-22 year olds. I say "probably never" just in case someone of this age group really deserves it (like the Gopher football players this summer), but it will have to be something really obvious. Just want to throw that out there.

Posted by: Shane at December 21, 2007 12:56 PM

I wasn't knocking the decision to let Silva go, just the decision to call and reiterate your offer of roughly 1/2 what everybody knew he was going to get and on the day he signed? seems kinda silly and doesn't do anything to dispel the "cheap" tag.

Posted by: Yamman at December 21, 2007 4:33 PM

I think the "good" award should be named after the recently-retired judge Harry Crump. Who could be better?

Posted by: Snyder at December 21, 2007 6:12 PM

Wow, Snyder knocked it out of the park with that suggestion.

Speaking of knocking it out of the park, Nick Coleman gets a lot of shit in these pages (deservedly) but man he hit a home run with his column today about blame-passing on the 35W bridge.

Posted by: Freealonzo at December 21, 2007 7:09 PM

Thanks, free!

And while I agree Nick Coleman had a pretty good column today, I still count "spilled milk" among the greatest YouTubes of all time and look forward to his inevitable winning of the KMOTW.

Posted by: Snyder at December 21, 2007 9:36 PM

PJS has a bit on the Gopher hockey/Islanders drama...

http://pagingjimshikenjanski.blogspot.com/2007/12/profiles-in-douchebaggery.html

Is it too early to campaign for Garth Snow as the next KMOTW? Provided Coleman manages to go another week without a stadium rant, that is. :-)

Posted by: Snyder at December 22, 2007 10:21 PM

This week's winner should have been Brad Childress. After driving through a blizzard to get to the game Sunday night, the Chiller's team completely rolled over and died. He was completely out-coached.

Will there be a KMOTY? I nominate both Barry Bonds and Michael Vick...

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at December 26, 2007 7:36 PM

Must get KMOTW fix...

Posted by: Snyder at December 28, 2007 11:37 AM

T Jack gets this week and next week's KMOTW for his great passing game (A little hint Tavaris, our wide recievers don't wear opposing uniforms). I'd also throw in Vick and bonds for KMOTY.

Posted by: CTM at December 30, 2007 10:43 PM

I'd say Troy Williamson gets a lifetime achievement KMOTW.

Posted by: Freealonzo at December 31, 2007 11:40 AM