< The First Annual CHNMOTY | Main | Guitar Hero, Moneyball, and observing behaviors around you >

The Knucklehead McSpazatron of the Week

Oh boy. Most of the time the KMOTW makes his mark by doing something stupid off the field. Zygi Wilf won it by begging for money for a non-existent plan. Roger Clemens won it for taking steroids, and Torii Hunter won it for saying no one would want to play in the new Twins ballpark.

This week's winner, though, definitely deserves it for his performance on the field.

I could have given it to Roger Clemens, again, for his less than believable rebuttal to McNamee's accusations. I mean, if I had a nickel for every time I've heard the "Lidocaine and B-12" excuse, well I'd have more than 4 cents, let's just put it that way. Seriously, lidocaine and B-12? Let's consider that Brian McNamee is a former, highly respected personal trainer with a Master's degree in sports medicine. Don't you think he knows what he is injecting into a baseball player's butt? He knew what he was giving Andy Pettite, but not Clemens? Give me a break.

I could have also given the award to Sid Hartman, for his sycophantic pro Zygi Wilf column this week. I don't have a problem praising Wilf when he actually does something right, but when I read the title, "Wilfs won't hesitate to spend on Vikings" I just laughed. Does't Sid write this column every year? Well, I've stopped believing it. And furthermore, if it means that Wilf will sign another player like Visanthe Shiancoe (or "Shianc-dog" as he likes call himself) then I say save your money. It would be better spent on an actual dog.

Brad Childress could have won the award (and he maybe should have) because, as my mom says:

How can a team with seven pro bowl players and the Rookie of the Year not be in the playoffs????

That is an excellent point Mom! I guess when you've got Chilly-Willy for a coach a lot of surprising things can happen.

But as I said above, this week's winner of the KMOTW gets the award for his performance on the field, and unfortunately his performance, or the fact that we had to watch it, is more the fault of Mike Tice than Brad Childress.

Behold! The winner of the Knucklehead McSpazatron of the Week is:

spongetroy.jpg

That's right, it is Troy Williamson! Man, Troy Williamson couldn't catch a cold in a day care center. He couldn't catch a rash at a poison ivy convention. And apparently he can't catch a football unless it somehow gets wedged into his facemask. Just look at this picture:

Troy drops another one

Right out of his hands before it bounces off his shoulder! This was such a spectacular failure as a wide receiver it actually made me burst out laughing. Can you believe this guy was picked seventh in the draft? Seventh??!?!?!?!?! It leaves me absolutely dumbfounded.

So, for giving us one last pathetic performance as a "wide receiver" for the Minnesota Vikings, Troy Williamson is my Knucklehead McSpazatron of the Week.

Posted by snackeru at January 3, 2008 9:09 PM

Can't argue with that one, especially since there's still four months worth of KMOTWs to properly recognize the members of the Timberwolves organization that deserve consideration.

Posted by: Snyder at January 3, 2008 10:12 PM

Since we probably won't have TW to kick around anymore, it's good to see that he gets the KMOTW as a nice parting gift.

Posted by: Freealonzo at January 4, 2008 7:48 AM

And we only had to give up Randy Moss to get him.

Posted by: SBG at January 4, 2008 8:57 AM

Amen Shane! And I LOVE the photo! You nailed it this week. And for those who wish to see a REAL MAN WR, my blog does a retrospective on Sammy White today complete with YouTube video.

Posted by: Brian Maas at January 4, 2008 9:29 AM

Thanks for the memories Brian!! I'll never forget Sammy! One of my fondest memories of him was the 49er game in '77 when he and Kramer brought the Vikes back to win. The only time I can remember the Met shaking more was Rashad's catch in 1980.

Posted by: kevin in az at January 4, 2008 1:31 PM

I just may have to take the betamax machine out this weekend to watch some old games of Sammy White and John Gilliam.

Posted by: kevin in az at January 4, 2008 1:32 PM

I love sales tax financing mechanisms. I what a dumb 'effing' state we live in....

Jan. 4 (Bloomberg) -- From Sacramento and Albany to Boston and Tallahassee, politicians in state capitals across the U.S. are wrestling with the biggest increase in borrowing costs in three years as they struggle to shore up budget deficits widening on the national housing slump.

The extra yield investors require on 10-year bonds from California, Florida, Massachusetts and New York relative to benchmark tax-exempt rates doubled since July to the widest since at least 2004, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. California's gap grew to 0.44 percentage point from 0.20 percentage point, adding $24 million in extra interest over 10 years for every $1 billion borrowed.

The cost to borrow for roads and schools is rising as property values drop and consumers cut spending, reducing sales- tax revenue that funds about one-third of state budgets. Thirteen states face cash shortfalls totaling $30 billion next fiscal year, the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, a Washington research group, said in a Dec. 18 report.

Posted by: yeabut at January 4, 2008 2:48 PM

Kevin in AZ - I was in attendance at that Vikings/Browns game in 1980 that you mentioned. As an 8th grader, it was one of the first Vikings games I had ever attended and had end zone seats. I was lucky enough to be about 25-30 yards from Rashad's hail mary reception. I have been to quite a few sporting events since then, and nothing has topped that game. The Vikes even won the division on that play.

I have tried to find footage of that play but have not had any luck. Anyone know where that might be available?

Jeff T.

Posted by: Jeff T. at January 5, 2008 8:44 AM

Sure Jeff I remember that game very well. Remember all the people who left early????? You just knew when Bobby Bryant intercepted Brian Sipe with 2 mins left the Vikes were going to comeback in that game!! And who could forget the awesome play by Joe Senser and Teddy Brown which set up the miracle catch by Rashad....I'm getting chills just remembering this game.

Send your mailing address to my email and I'll send you a DVD copy of the game. I have many of my betamax Vikings games transferred to DVD..Luckily for you this is one of them.

Posted by: kevin in az at January 5, 2008 6:06 PM

Maybe it will work this time.

Posted by: kevin in az at January 5, 2008 6:08 PM

Thanks Kevin! That would be great. Unfortunately, the link is not working.

Jeff T.

Posted by: Jeff T. at January 5, 2008 10:15 PM

I realize that, and I have no idea how to make it work. I went to your blog and I couldn't find any link to email you there either.

Posted by: kevin in az at January 6, 2008 8:00 AM