< Guitar Hero, Moneyball, and observing behaviors around you | Main | The Glory of Their Times >

Heard at Great Clips

The last time I was at Great Clips I heard something that gave me pause. This time what I heard was spoken to me.

Stylist: So, what do you do for a living?

Me: Well, I'm a librarian here at the U of M.

Stylist: Really? That must be the best job in the world, being around all those books.

Me: Actually, I am the library webmaster. I manage the library web site.

Stylist: So, you are a librarian and you work with computers? Wow. I think that is the geekiest job I have ever heard of.

Me: Ummm ... I suppose it is now that you mention it.

So, I have the geekiest job in the world. I have been humbled by a Great Clips stylist.

Posted by snackeru at January 8, 2008 9:22 AM

So, you are a librarian and you work with computers? Wow. I think that is the geekiest job I have ever heard of.

I put this through "Stylist to English" on Babelfish and received this translation:
"I'm illiterate and still haven't figured out how to turn on my computer at home (probably because I can't read), but rather than expose the glaring flaws that have left me cutting your hair at a Great Clips, I'll call you a geek. That'll show you."

I'm going to hell, I know.

Posted by: Dave MN at January 8, 2008 9:39 AM

Forget about Great Clips. You won't get any of that lip at Schmitdy's Sports Barbers.

Posted by: tato at January 8, 2008 9:46 AM

I second Schmidty's. Randolph & Hamline in St. Paul. It's worth the 20 minute drive it takes me to get there. Instead of hearing smack from a "stylist", you can get your hair cut by a barber. If you want to talk Gophers sports, they can do that too.

Posted by: chapman at January 8, 2008 10:09 AM

Apparently me telling Shane this on a regular basis hadn't sunk in.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 8, 2008 10:38 AM

Haven't gone to Schmidty's, but I do second the call for finding a real barber over going to Great Clips.

I currently go to Shear Trends, which is located in the Baker Building downtown in Minneapolis. I've followed my barber, John, through two employers and at least four locations over the past twenty years. A nice bonus with the current location is that it's kitty-corner from Nick's Sports World, so I can check that out easily if so inclined.

Posted by: Snyder at January 8, 2008 10:39 AM

Only geeky web/librarians get their hair cut at Great Clips. Real men go to Schmidty's.

Posted by: SBG at January 8, 2008 12:37 PM

"Real men go to Schmidty's" ... blah blah blah.

Real men go to the closest place to get a haircut and don't care where it is.

All I want to know is what they charge and where do I sit.

The day I care about my hair enough to drive out of my way for a fricken barber is the day I have truly become a metrosexual ... like SBG perhaps.

Posted by: Shane at January 8, 2008 1:28 PM

You youngsters have so little to worry about. Wait until you get asked, "so, do you want those eye-brows, ear-hair, and nose-hair trimmed?"

Posted by: Brian Maas at January 8, 2008 2:41 PM

Brian wrote:

"Wait until you get asked, "so, do you want those eye-brows, ear-hair, and nose-hair trimmed?""

See, that's the great thing about Schmidty's. The only hair-related questions I've been asked are:

"Regular haircut?"

and

"So, just have at it?"

The only hair-related word to come out of my mouth is "yup". Which is how it should be for real men. Plus they take care of the ear-hair as SOP.

2 other plusses @ Schmidty's:

1)it's a free-for-all. (I'm a big fan of free-for-alls) If it's busy and you don't stand up for your rights, you might wait all day .

2)neck shave with the straight razor. My wife loves it.

Posted by: tato at January 8, 2008 4:01 PM

My wife cuts my hair, it looks good and I can then put the money I saved on haircuts towards going to watch professional sporting events and contributing to the pockets of millionaires.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 8, 2008 4:22 PM

Actually, my dad was a barber until he realized that he couldn't support a family doing that. I still get free cuts from him when it's convenient. Plus, I took my dad to Schmidty's one time when he was in town and he really liked the haircut he got there. Plus, Joe Mauer comes in for a cut -- or he did at least through his batting title. When he was hurt last year, I don't think he was coming in. Coincidence? I think not.

Me a metrosexual? You know better than that, Shane!

Posted by: SBG at January 9, 2008 4:53 AM

You question my manhood, I call you a metrosexual. That is the way it works!

Beware of my ability to defend myself with my phenomenal wit and quick thinking. I cannot be stopped!

Posted by: Shane at January 9, 2008 9:41 AM

*ding ding ding*

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLet's get ready to rumbllllllllllllllllllllllle!!!!

In the blue corner wearing the Armani suit and the perfectly coiffed hair. He hails from South Dakota, coming in at 6' and 240 lbs; he is the Metrosexual Maurader, the Legal Lackey, the only person who cares about the NBA in the state of MN... SBG!!!!

And in the red corner wearing blue jeans, a button up shirt and dark socks with Starbury shoes and the bad haircut. He originally hails from WI coming in at 6'6" a buck fity; he is the Lame Librarian, the Wussy Webmaster, the man who is all for public subsidies to billionaires... Shane!!!!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 9, 2008 10:07 AM

Wait, wait, wait a minute!!!

The haircut I got is actually pretty nice.

Other than that, carry on ...

Posted by: Shane at January 9, 2008 10:10 AM

Hey...I care about the NBA and I'm in MN. How about subbing in a comment about SBG's "lexicon" instead?

Posted by: Snyder at January 9, 2008 2:23 PM

The only way this can be settled is with one of those backyard type contests that you have with CC. Or over burritos.

Posted by: SBG at January 9, 2008 3:51 PM

Pete's Como Barbershop. Real barber -- more than 25 years at the same location. Heads and various other body parts of dead animals on the wall. Straight razor use. Close to campus (15th and Como). You'll never go to Great Clips again!

Posted by: DouglasG at January 9, 2008 4:01 PM

Burritos in MN???? PLEASE!!! Allow me to ship the burritos from someplace down here.

Posted by: kevin in az at January 9, 2008 4:49 PM

18 posts about geeky librarians, hair cuts, Cheesehead Craig's boasts, and a burrito contest?!!?

Greet Machine's back, baby, it's back and loaded for 2008!!!

Posted by: Freealonzo at January 9, 2008 8:24 PM

OK SBG. If you think you are man enough to eat a burrito ... Uptown Chipotle. Let's pick a time. Friday? Next week? Anyone else think they have what it takes?

Posted by: Shane at January 9, 2008 9:46 PM

I like burritos.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 9, 2008 10:59 PM

Burritos!

Posted by: Freealonzo at January 10, 2008 7:35 AM

I'm man enough by plenty.

Posted by: SBG at January 10, 2008 7:41 AM

So, are we in agreement? How about Friday at 5:30 at the Uptown Chipotle. Whoever doesn't eat a whole burrito, or orders tacos or some such nonsense, will be ridiculed and treated like the pansy they are.

Posted by: Shane at January 10, 2008 8:22 AM

CHIPOTLE???????? That's not a burrito...That's rice wrapped in a pasty tortilla!

Please, let me send REAL burritos, packed with muchaca, chorizo, frijoles, queso and papas!!!!

Posted by: kevin in az at January 10, 2008 11:12 AM

Kevin, will the burritos still be hot when they get here?

Posted by: Shane at January 10, 2008 1:54 PM

mmmmmm chorizo....

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 10, 2008 3:58 PM

Shane, with the hatch chilis on these burritos, they'll fly themselves to MN and still be plenty warm throughout consumption and disposal..lol

Posted by: kevin in az at January 10, 2008 11:37 PM

I am a Manager at Great Clips. I am 57 year old "Geek". I repair PC's on the side and yes I can write HTML. Did I have to go to school to learn to repair these great machines...nooooo, I am smart enough to have pick up a few books and educated myself unlike others that have to go to school...ummmmm Yes, a old dog can learn new tricks...imagine that.

Oh and I am a Professional Chef to boot...
Still think someone that cuts hair for a living is "stupid"? I'd like to see you cut someone's hair...

I make people feel good about themselves...

Put that under ya' hat and think about it...

A Grandma haircutting, cooking, geek.

Posted by: Phyllis Lewis at April 22, 2008 7:40 AM